Selling 1911 for a G34 (Opinions)

This is a discussion on Selling 1911 for a G34 (Opinions) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I just had another bad range session with the Para Ordnance 18-9 LDA ltd this weekend, and a stunning session with my beloved G19. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling 1911 for a G34 (Opinions)

Selling 1911 for a G34 (Opinions)

Well I just had another bad range session with the Para Ordnance 18-9 LDA ltd this weekend, and a stunning session with my beloved G19.

Ive decided based on reading reviews and having shot a G34 once that the Para has to go and the G34 needs to take its place (even if its a straight trade with the dealer)

Para list price new $2500 NZD
    Glock34 $1400NZD

Im not currently shooting any production class IPSC but would like the option and want something I know I can shoot well. The G19 doesnt cut it at 50 feet so I figure the G34 is better suited for the long distance portions of the service match (a better all rounder).

Have I lost my mind ? is it possible the 1911 is just not for me ? Do I need to practice more with the Para ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    Have I lost my mind ? is it possible the 1911 is just not for me ? Do I need to practice more with the Para ?
    I suppose that depends on what you mean about it being a bad range trip. If it was jamming often or having a bunch of malfunctions, then no...that's the gun's fault. If you're not just shooting where you'd like to be shooting, then it could be you need more practice.

Either way, carry and shoot whatever you feel comfortable with and trust.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Different people like different guns. If the Para isn't working for you but Glocks do, then swap. I love my 34.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Purely accuracy. Grouping was high and left at 10 meters and I couldnt adjust it out. 20 rounds just to knock down 9 poppers at 15 meters.

Step in the G19, 10 rounds to quickly knock down all 9 poppers.

Im just finding the Glock easier to shoot and getting better results. In less than 300 rounds on a new pistol hardly shot, im getting better accuracy than my Para which ive had for over a year and 1000+ rounds + countless sessions getting it "sighted in".

I know the Para is highly capable, a target shooter at the range managed to get a tight 3" group at 25 yards and he had never shot it before. But me im lucky to get a shotgun splatter effect at that range.

It may be the gun. I can't hit squat with my buddy's Para, but do just fine with all my 1911's. (He doesn't do too well either)
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    It may be the gun. I can't hit squat with my buddy's Para, but do just fine with all my 1911's. (He doesn't do too well either)
    I was thinking that too...you never know, it could be entirely not your fault?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AZ Husker

I was thinking that too...you never know, it could be entirely not your fault?
    Ive had 2 other people shoot it at 25 yards (one was even a Glock 17 shooter). They both loved it and both got excellent results.

I have good and bad days with it, more bad than good. Mabey its just the ergonomics compared to the Glock ?, trigger type, weight etc all most likley play a part and work against against me in comparison to the Glock perhaps.

Most, if not all, Glock models have a much different grip angle than the 1911 does. As a result many who like the1911 do not like the Glock, and the same goes the other way.

Personally, I do not like the Glock and would go with either the Hi-power or the CZ 75B. However, you are not me, you might just be one of those that shots better with the grip angle of the Glock. Based on what you said it seems like this might be the case. Just to be sure, is there anyplace that you can go to shoot a different 1911, maybe not even a Para but something else? You might also try a single stack 1911 to see if your problem stems from the thickness of the grip on the 18-9 LDA.

A few of the guys at the range run STIs and SVIs, but im not prepared to sell the Para and have to shell out another $400 on top to get another 1911.

In saying that, I have tried a single stack springfield .45 and also a double stack STI. Cant remember how I did but it wasnt anything special.

The G19 was purchased due to it being a mates rates deal (cheap) and I always wanted a polymer gun for the collection. Funny thing though the first 10 rounds I shot at 25 yards were the best 25 yard group in nearly 2 years of pistol shooting I had ever shot (in 9mm anyway).

I suspect mabey I am in fact a natural Glock shooter and the grip angle is more suited to me. Pity as the 18-9 is a beautiful looking gun in black and stainless, but its really about putting holes on paper I guess.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I don't think that a 'Para' trigger is the same as a '1911' single action trigger. That may be part of the problem.

*** WAY OFF TOPIC ***

If you have time, can you explain for us exactly what you can do with a pistol in New Zealand? Do you have to lock it up at home or can you legally defend yourself in any way with it? I would be amazed to hear that you can carry a pistol down there. If not, I'm sure that America would love to have you as a citizen.

If you have time, can you explain for us exactly what you can do with a pistol in New Zealand? Do you have to lock it up at home or can you legally defend yourself in any way with it? I would be amazed to hear that you can carry a pistol down there. If not, I'm sure that America would love to have you as a citizen.
    Well the only legal way to own a pistol in NZ is for "sporting" purposes, meaning I have to meet the following conditions in order to maintain the "pistol endorsement" on my firearms licence.

a) be a member of a recognised pistol club
    b) attend pistol club at least 12 times per year

I can only shoot pistol on an approved range, luckily enough my nearest one is 20 minute drive and its well setup with barricade, steel, mover, 25M, IPSC ranges, 50M, and more, top class facility.

Pistols can only be taken between your home, police station, gun dealer, range or gunsmith (in a lockable box).

At home they have to be stored in a 6mm steel safe, the police inspect your storage before you are approved to purchase pistols from the dealer (more paperwork there as well).

As for the self defence thing, our police force pretty much discourage using weapons of any kind for self defence. Their instructions for home invasion are an utter joke, and if you do resort to a weapon you are dragged through the courts, use a firearm and its worse (trial by jury).

In saying that most of the time jury throw the case out, but thats after you shell out $30,000 defending yourself in court.

Meanwhile the criminal (if alive) gets legal aid and the poilce use my own tax dollar to try an convict me on firearms offences and use of excessive force. Pretty sick eh :)

Its a bit backwards, and who knows it may change in time, its hard enough trying to counteract ever chnaging firearms laws to keep our pistols, let alone pushing the self defence thing :).

RANT MODE ENGAGED

Police here are always making no n purposeful changes to laws in response to the 1 or 2 shootings we have a year, they want to be seen as doing something and making life harder for us law abiding people is easy.

In response to the latest changes that would see alot of rifles here reclassified as "Military Style" and subject to tougher restrictions, one shooter has said enough and is currently taking our police force to the high court (equivalent to your supreme court), at his own cost of $50,000+.

In addition to that hes starting an NRA type organisation to fund future legal battles and protect our rights, about time someone held the police to task on their stupid changes, using our tax $$ to inflict their veiwpoint on legal and law abiding owners, its plain sick.

To reply to your original question--some firearms just don't work for some people; I know, I was that way with my ex-XDm. My friends though it was great; range staff saw no issues with it; I couldn't hit jack diddly squat with it (while shooting just fine with my other pistols).

I finally gave up, and decided the Cuda66/XDm interface wasn't happenin', and traded that sucker off without a backward glance.

If you don't think the Para is working for you, and the G34 does, trade it out and have a pistol you're happy with.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Rationalize your decision in every way. Over-think the choice until you're sleepless. Ask every gun-buddy you have. Then...follow your own instinct! You're on the fence between two very well-regarded, time-proven handguns. Best case? You're delighted with the G34. Worse case? You've gotta' find another Para. My opinion? In my (small) gun universe, I've known more serious competitive shooters who've found more to dislike with a Para (LDA) than with a G34. You KNOW what you want to do. Now go enjoy DOING it!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

JD
    Administrator
    This should be a no brainer, if the gun isn't doing what you want it to do, or you can't do what you want to do with the gun, but can do both with another make/model...

Axe the Para.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Axe the Para.
    And get a real 1911!

j/k. I'm sure Paras are just fine, but the fact that they aren't mil-spec would be a deal-breaker for me. I like the option of aftermarket parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links