Threatened with legal and "physical harm"

This is a discussion on Threatened with legal and "physical harm" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sooooo, I work with this group who want to do real estate foreclosure stuff. They are taking advantage of some of the government programs to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threatened with legal and "physical harm"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Sooooo, I work with this group who want to do real estate foreclosure stuff. They are taking advantage of some of the government programs to liquidate the massive number of foreclosures. They wanted me to write a website to do some cool stuff to show off to the bankers. One of the guys, a very influential New York banker, has a son who is ex-Delta Force. Nice guy. Even wrote a post about him.

Well, the business deal went bad. I gave them an unfinished and untested web site, but fully functional in what it did. They were aware of that. That fact was written up in the closing documents. I never expected to hear from them again. Nor did I want to. Not the nicest of CEOs.

Six months later I get an email from someone who is trying to get their website up and running. She asked me to fix it. I left it working, but something happened. I needed the money, so I took the job.

Turns out something happened to the database. Took me three days dealing with an incompetent tech support team of the hosting company, but I ultimately got it working. Because of the "technical issues" it took longer than expected. Hey, it is IT. It happens. I sent them an invoice.

Then they ask for the raw data. Fine. Too big to email so they want a disc. Well, all I asked in return was to be paid for the work I already did. The CEO blew a gasket. I get a call from the dad of the Delta force guy. He not only threatens me with legal action (what did I do?), but reminds me about his son and his special talents. Not sure if he was joking or real, but if I were recording the conversation, it would surely make for interesting listening.

I am not worried about something untoward happening. If he did want to do something, I would be no match for this guy. But there are laws in this country. Right??

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting conversation.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I think I would advise the police and give them a copy of the tape. I'm sure it would qualify as "making a terrioristic threat" ( a charge that's been used over a lot of years for things like this ). I don't know what he would sue you for, as you have not "cost" him anything to sue you for.... he has to show some "loss" to sue and (check with an atty) but withholding the data for payment, is not an uncommon practice. Maybe file a "lien" on the data, which gives you a right to withhold it until paid.

He sounds like a real nice guy.

I"d tell him theres lots of X=soldiers in Prison and also people making overt threats,I might even go so far as to lose the information they need
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think a phone call to your local F.B.I. Office might be in order.

The CEO in question is using the telephone lines to make threats against you. Then place a call to your local police.

If the guy's just a "blowhard" no harm done. If he is twisted enough to undertake some of his threats then I'm sorry for you. BTW: I know of a cop that was blown up for less. I also know of an ex-girlfriend of someone that was blown up in her car. Different crimes, different devices used, and different criminals, but the end results were the same.

BTW: There was a military element to the cases I'm thinking about. I strongly encourage you to make the telephone calls. I don't take being threatened well. If you were in fact threatened it's time to rein the horse in. The horse being the CEO.

Biker

The simple act of starting paperwork on this makes it less likely that you'll be attacked. If there's clear evidence linking them to you, then it becomes riskier for them to attack you.

I'd probably start some paperwork, but something about your post (and the thread you started which I went and dug up), sticks out in my mind. You say the son is nice, and mild mannered and whatnot. And it is the father who brings up his "special talents". Kinda reminds me of the old "My dad can beat up your dad thing".

Honestly, if you have a way to contact the son, I probably would, and explain the situation to him. I've had the pleasure to work with guys from several parts of Socom, and most of them tend to be low key about their job, and don't like to flaunt it. At the same time, the psychological screenings for such jobs insure that you get level-headed, intelligent people who get all that training and know-how, not sadistic violence junkies who will use their skills for whatever they want.

It's like when I'm back home drinking with my friends, and someone gets froggy and my friends pull the "Oh yeah, my friend is a Marine card and he has my back" (it's a rare occurance, but has happened and means I don't like drinking with that person at bars anymore). I find it embarrassing (not the fact that I am a Marine, which I'm proud of, but that it is brought out for such purposes), and then I find a way to de-escalate the situation.

Just my thoughts.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'd call the son and see what he had to say about it(meanwhile recording and taking notes on EVERYTHING!). Chances are, he doesn't know his father is being a donkey and throwing his sons reputation out there in the mud.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    BuckeyeLCPL was right about the character of SOCOM folks. I have worked with some guys from that side of the military. They have been professionals through and through. I'm willing to bet that the CEO's son knows nothing about his father's comments and would be none too happy about them.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    Sounds like extortion to me. Notify the police. Get a restraining order against both dad and son. File a suit to recover what you are owed.

Chances are the son is just blowing smoke. The dad is a business person and not someone who wants real trouble with the law. The son is not going to do anything either. He's likely just a verbal bully. They'll back down if you show some spine.

I know you probably don't want to spend any money on a lawyer, but it might be worth it if you want to be rid of these creeps once and for all. If you go to the police lawyer in hand, or go to the DA's office with your lawyer, you're likely to get listened to in a way that might not happen if you went on your own.

Same for getting the restraining order. Same for getting these creeps served.
    You want a professional process server to do that so you don't go near them.

I would not call the son. I would avoid these people except through very formal legal processes.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If this guy made this kind of threat to you, he has probably done the same to others. Definitely go through the legal hassle...and if it's legal in your state start recording all your phone calls and carrying around a voice recorder. This is certainly the kind of thing you want on tape.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd probably start some paperwork, but something about your post (and the thread you started which I went and dug up), sticks out in my mind. You say the son is nice, and mild mannered and whatnot. And it is the father who brings up his "special talents". Kinda reminds me of the old "My dad can beat up your dad thing".

Honestly, if you have a way to contact the son, I probably would, and explain the situation to him. I've had the pleasure to work with guys from several parts of Socom, and most of them tend to be low key about their job, and don't like to flaunt it. At the same time, the psychological screenings for such jobs insure that you get level-headed, intelligent people who get all that training and know-how, not sadistic violence junkies who will use their skills for whatever they want.

It's like when I'm back home drinking with my friends, and someone gets froggy and my friends pull the "Oh yeah, my friend is a Marine card and he has my back" (it's a rare occurance, but has happened and means I don't like drinking with that person at bars anymore). I find it embarrassing (not the fact that I am a Marine, which I'm proud of, but that it is brought out for such purposes), and then I find a way to de-escalate the situation.

Just my thoughts.
    Good comments. The son probably doesn't have a clue what his is being said about him or how he's using him as a threat. As stated here, most won't speak out and I'm surprised that he let himself be written about (unless it was just limited information).

I agree with this post and at least contact your local PD or even the FBI just so someone has the info of the threat. I wouldn't worry though about the sons special talents, I'm sure he's aware of his special talents also (legal wise).
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I vote for notifying the proper authorities and giving them a copy of the tape. Just goes to show that money can buy material goods, but can't purchase self-control, decency, or manners.

Dad's actions indicate you were right to ask for payment up to that point.

As was said, if you make a phone call to the authorities, that will link the dad to you in case anything should happen, and possibly lessen the chances that anything will happen. It puts him on notice that you won't accept such conduct from him.

lets not go nuts here.

My wife does e-mail Marketing and she designs websites. She also Designs and sends out *e-mail blasts* to 55,000 (subscribed) customers.

However for some reason many "potential clients" get the idea that there is absolutely no effort or time (or money for that matter) in setting up a website or e-mail blast.

When she sends out an invoice/PROOF, some new clients go a little nuts and demand to know why there are getting a bill for something that has not actually happened or why the e-mail blast has not been sent? ( no money, she no hit the send button)

If she were to call the cops everytime some nut case threatened to sue (for whatever reason) she would have to hire a couple of full time attorneys.

I would suggest you call Mr CEO and explain the situation in a calm and professional manor and if the guy still wants to act like a tough guy, Then I would ask the name of his attorney and I would give him your attorney name and number, oh ya, also tell him your recording this conversation for Quality control and educational purposes

JMHO
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I spent 24 years in the military and in that time I was lucky enough to work with a few special forces folks, to include Delta. Based on my experience with these guys, I'd say the father is talking out his ass and his son doesn't even know about the threats he made.

You will be hard pressed to find more professional individuals than you will find in Delta; one of the reasons they are in Delta is their ability to keep a cool head. The father on the other hand, sounds like a ***** and did break the law by threatening you. Go with your gut feeling on this and report it if you remotely feel you are at threat. I'd also suggest not doing business with them in the future.
    John Luttrell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links