Initial Application of Miltec-1

This is a discussion on Initial Application of Miltec-1 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After hearing much positive feedback I've decided to try out Miltec-1. It arrived today. The instructions say that the first two to three applications are ...

Thread: Initial Application of Miltec-1

Initial Application of Miltec-1

After hearing much positive feedback I've decided to try out Miltec-1. It arrived today.

The instructions say that the first two to three applications are very important and that it sould be applied and then the gun should be heated to operating temps either by firing, oven or heat gun.

Since I have all three options available to me what do you think is the best way to do it? I like the oven because I can set the temp and it offers me the most consistency. If I go that route does anyone see a problem with either the polymer frame or hogue grip being heated to about 150 degrees? I'm thinking I'd leave it in for about 15 minutes.

Please let me know what you think.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    After hearing much positive feedback I've decided to try out Miltec-1. It arrived today.

The instructions say that the first two to three applications are very important and that it sould be applied and then the gun should be heated to operating temps either by firing, oven or heat gun.

Since I have all three options available to me what do you think is the best way to do it? I like the oven because I can set the temp and it offers me the most consistency. If I go that route does anyone see a problem with either the polymer frame or hogue grip being heated to about 150 degrees? I'm thinking I'd leave it in for about 15 minutes.

I just laid mine on a window sill in a window that gets direct sun and it got pretty warm. I applied the Militec 1 and it has been great.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I just take it to the range for a long session. All that shooting heats it up more than enough. I've used Miltec for the past 3 years for all my guns and love the stuff

You have the right idea as consistency with the oven and it is easier and cleaner as there is no powder residue or cleaning between applications.

150 degrees should not hurt the polymer, it has had no ill affect on mine. I strongly recommend to anyone to do it in the oven as every part of the gun is heated to the same temp. When firing it, some parts get hotter than others so the heat is not evenly distributed. JMHO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post

if that were my gun,i would not feel comfortable putting the polymer frame into the oven,even on low heat.don't see any problem with the barrel,but the rest of the gun i'd leave out in the hot sun or just fire at the range allowing it to heat up..just my opinion..

I think I'm going to use the oven. I've left the gun in my car many times before and I know the inside temps there reach about 140-145 so it should be relatively safe.

I'm going to the range later on this week anyway so this will just allow me to get an initial coat on there now.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Just watch out for night sights if you're heating it. No idea what kind of temperature they can take but I thought better of putting them in the oven :)

Good call. Mine are good 'ol iron sights so I should be fine, but definately worth mentioning for anyone else reading this thread. Thanks!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I use Militec as the break in lube for all of my barrels and just use friction to warm the barrel. I use their grease on all moving parts.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I baked my 1911 at 200, I think, for about 15 minutes.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I've heard alot about this 'dry lube'

what is so special about this lube?

Links