Where to take Brass

Where to take Brass

This is a discussion on Where to take Brass within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe these are stupid question..but I've kept every single casing from every bullet I've put through my 38sp. I keep them in the box they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to take Brass

Where to take Brass

Maybe these are stupid question..but

I've kept every single casing from every bullet I've put through my 38sp. I keep them in the box they came from so I know what casing came from what type of ammo.

I don't reload or have a reloader and have no desire too..I've only kept them because
    a) At first I thought it would be smart to account for every bullet..( no leo can say my bullet was found at a scene..hehe)
    and
    b) was told everytime you throw one away a baby seal dies...hehe..kidding...no really because it's like throwing away a nickel.

So my question is 2 part. Where do you "sell" them ? since we are only talking chump change.....I mean do you take them to a pawn shop or gun dealer and say "hey you wanna buy my brass?" (sound like a good bumper sticker). Or do people typically take them if free but rarely buy them unless you had brand new casing (not used).

my wife would like me to just throw them in the recycle bin or something...but seems like a waste.

Secondly, I've heard not all casings are re-usable. How do I know which type are and are not ? If it's brass color (not silver colored) it's good I thought for re-use ?

I don't have an answer to your question, but the last time I was at the range, there wasn't a piece of brass to be found. I asked the range master where was the old brass. He just smiled and said "Might come in handy in the future"???
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

REcycling centers will buy brass by the pound. The better buyer would be a reloader. Surely someone in your area reloads and would be happy to give you at least recycle price for it. Here in Twin Falls, Id. recycled brass is about $1.00 per pound, however there is a commercial reloader here that pays $4.00 per pound for it. Since it is once fired and boxed, it may even bring more. Check with your local ranges, internet, yellow pages, etc. Whether it's good or not can be determined by two factors, material and priming. Steel and aluminum cases are not reloadable. Brass and Nickel Plated Brass is if it is not Berdan primed. To tell the priming, look inside, if there is one hole in the bottom it is fine, if there are two small holes it is no good. If your brass is name brand and not some foreign offbrand it will be OK.

Good luck!!!

Midway gets 65.00/1000 for once fired 38 brass when they have it in stock. They also sell new Starline brass for 15.49/100. Both would also have shipping charges added. Locally, I would think your once fired brass should be worth 3.00-3.50 per box to a reloader. I'd ask about putting up a small sign at local gun shops and shooting ranges. Depending on how much you have, it may even be worth putting an ad in the local classifieds.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have several buddies that reload certain calibers...mainly 40, 45, 223 and a few big rifle stuff. I am also a brass scrounger at the range. Most of the good stuff goes to my buddies that want it, and I usually get a box of reloads in return. Normally I save the sorted brass in 3 pound plastic coffee cans that add up to average about 8 pounds of brass, then pass it own to those that want it. The rest gets stockpiled along with the aluminum cans. Dang-it, I missed the huge prices last year of $1.80/lb for brass and $0.90/lb for aluminum. At the moment, I have around 150 lbs of junk brass (not sure about the aluminum) waiting for a price increase again. I was hoping to retire on it... I tell my son, in the unforgettable words of Fred Sanford in talking to his son, Lamont, "son, sum dey all dis is gonna be yo's".

If I were the OP, I would befriend a reloader

surv

all good tips..thanks. I will check around when I have more time, glad I didn't just "recycle it".

If these are once-fired brass and not fired reloads you should be able to post them up for sale for a small fee plus shipping.

Go HERE:

Member Buy, Sell & Trade - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

and post a for-sale ad. I recently listed and sold about 1200 rounds of 9mm once fired brass for about $60 IIRC. Took all of around 2-4 hours before I had an "I'll take it."

Brass is valuable. More valuable as reloadable brass than scrap at the recycling yard.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    If these are once-fired brass and not fired reloads you should be able to post them up for sale for a small fee plus shipping.
    Indeed....you're in network now, so go for it! I've sent brass all over the USA from 500-1500 pieces. Be sure to check your local P.O. for the flat rate shipping boxes! I just got done selling 1500 pieces local.

We buy fired brass for $1.25 per pound.

I doubt any sane commercial reloader pays $4/lb. Yikes they are way overpaying.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Is it legal for me to mail brass ? I'd think so since it's not live ammo..just brass..just wasn't sure if there is some sort of stupid regulation...you know..FFL's and such.

Yes. Pack it in a Flat Rate Box for $11 or $13 depending on size. Ship up to 70lbs for the same price.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I would put them on Craig's list or sell them to a metal scrap yard. Maybe a reloader will want them. It depends how much of it you have. The price of metal is up. The last time I turned metal in to the scrap yard I made enough to buy a new Glock.

Scrap yard up here pays 80 cents per pound for cartridge brass.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Do you get more if it's tumbled clean? A guy talked to said to tumble them clean with detergent and corn cobs. I have no idea what type of detergent or why corn cobs, or what a tumbler costs. But maybe it's worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links