help with gun decision

help with gun decision

This is a discussion on help with gun decision within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just received as a gift for bear protection a brand new model 329 pd alaskan backpacker 44 mag 2 1/2 inch revolver,a friend wants ...

help with gun decision

I just received as a gift for bear protection a brand new model 329 pd alaskan backpacker 44 mag 2 1/2 inch revolver,a friend wants to trade me a brand new taurus 454 raging bull revolver for it.should I? just curious .is a 44 mag good enough. And can I shoot hot loads in this scandium framed smith? It has a stainless cylander.Thanks for any help

VIP Member
    Personally I would prefer a S&W over a Taurus any day, that being said any handgun would be iffy on a bear, a better choice would be a 12ga loaded with slugs for discouraging Mister Bruin from attacking.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Personally I would prefer a S&W over a Taurus any day, that being said any handgun would be iffy on a bear, a better choice would be a 12ga loaded with slugs for discouraging Mister Bruin from attacking.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. though, Taurus revolvers are typically better than their semi-autos.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

First, I'll echo msgt/ret. If I'm going into an area where there is an increased chance of a bear encounter, the smallest firearm I want is a 12 ga., extended mag. tube, loaded with 3" magnum slugs.

With that said, I don't want it to sound like I'm picking on Taurus as I own a couple of them, but I'd never trade a Smith for a Taurus. The biggest drawback to your Smith is the barrel length. 44 mag. just wasn't designed for a 2 1/2" barrel. It takes more barrel than that to burn up all that powder. If you look at the stats on Ballistics by the Inch, you'll notice that the difference between the 2" and 4" using the Federal 240 gr. Hydra-Shok JHP is over 300 fps. With a 2" barrel, that big, bad, 44 mag. is about on the same par as a 45 ACP from a 5" barrel. If you can't carry a long gun into the areas you're going to be, I'd take the Smith back to the gun shop and try trading for a Smith in either 44 mag with a 4-6 inch barrel or for a Smith in 460 mag or 500 S&W.

As far as "hot" loads, there is no SAAMI spec for +P in 44 mag. and I wouldn't shoot anything labeled as such no matter how heavy the gun but even with "heavy bullet" loads, if your gun would handle them, I'm not sure you want to shoot them out of a 29 oz. gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

which weapon

myself being a glockman, well. see if you have a gunshop where you
    can try diffrent guns. lot of things to take into consideration.
    the sales people are usually very helpful and you can find a gun
    that would best suit you're needs. good luck in you're quest.
    let us know how things work out for ya.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Don't trade.

Learn to shoot the Smith and appreciate the gift.

Insofar as bears go, no handgun is going to be enough to reliably stop a charging grizzly--a black bear, maybe.

You would be getting the short end of that stick.

No comparison between the quality of a smith and wesson, and the quality of a taurus.

Please keep your smith!!!

There's a reason why your "friend" wants your S&W. It's the same reason you should NOT let him have it! Now...go enjoy a lifetime of shooting a fine model from a premier manufacturer. But you might practice with some nice .44 Spl loads. That 329 PD Backpacker has the potential for pain on both ends!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks for the support,im going to keep. Can the gun handle hot loads from say ammo from buffalo boar. 310 leadcast bullets the gun only weighs 29 oz.but has a stainless cylinder. and is only a 2 and a half inch barrel. Thanks

The gun can likely handle heavy, hard cast bullets (depending on how hard you're pushing them), check S&W recommendations. As for me handling 310 gr. Buffalo Bore out of a 29 oz. handgun?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links