GMA - Handyman story

GMA - Handyman story

This is a discussion on GMA - Handyman story within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LegalCente...1780492&page=1 Did you happen to catch this story on GMA this morning. They had a suposed security expert talk about what to do if you ...

Thread: GMA - Handyman story

GMA - Handyman story

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LegalCente...1780492&page=1

Did you happen to catch this story on GMA this morning. They had a suposed security expert talk about what to do if you have a contractor or sub-contractor/handyman in your home because of this woman that was killed by an illegal alien. (Note - the article calls him an "undocumented worker", I call him an illegal alien.) The security expert said in the TV interview that he would never recommend having mace in the house. Instead, make sure you have a cell phone. The mighty cell phone will protect you from all evil. I handed my wife my cell phone and said here, you call 911 while I pretend to choke you. See how far you get. She got the point.

Just once I would like someone to include really useful advice like have mace, or better yet, a gun handy.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; March 29th, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    So....the media finally is saying that even OC/mace will get you killed, huh? Before their pitch was that guns are dangerous; they can and will be taken away from and then used on you by the bad guy. Get a non-lethal means of defense like OC and take up martial arts.

Now the pitch is use a cell phone since OC can't/won't be able to help you?

Great.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Didn't see it Joe but - seems the ''expert'' was in that popular camp recommending compliance and certainly <horror> do not have or consider using a weapon (even if it may save your life!!!).

We should not under estimate the value of a cell phone but oh my - I can think of many situations where trying to make a call could be impossible.

All I say is - ''Self defence is each and every individual's own responsibility'' - can it be much clearer than that.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Ours must be one of the few species on this Earth that willingly shifts the primary responsibility of defending of one's self to another or abrogates it completely....and some people think that's alright.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Yeah, you guys who live in cities with 911 service have nothing to worry about. The police will arrive in 5 to 10 minutes, no problem. What about me, I live in a county that does not have 911 service. If I dial 911 I'm answered by an operator in a town 30 miles away. After I provide the info to this operator, the operator will call our local police dispatcher. The number is easy to remember, but I have an extra layer of confusion to go through. Maybe the experts mean hit the bad guy with the cell phone instead of call 911. Either way the results are the same - BG wins.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    Yeah, you guys who live in cities with 911 service have nothing to worry about. The police will arrive in 5 to 10 minutes, no problem.

And how many feet per SECOND does the average pistol bulet travel?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEd63
    And how many feet per SECOND does the average pistol bulet travel?
    I see my sarcasm was not wasted on you, Ed. When things are over in 30 seconds or so it doesn't matter whether the help takes 1 minute or 30 minutes the results are the same. Call the undertaker - you are out of here!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LegalCente...1780492&page=1

Just once I would like someone to include really useful advice like have mace, or better yet, a gun handy.
    How about a DL and SS card for a start? No doc'ies, no workies. "Security" means reducing risk. Hiring someone not bound by what are normal social constraints in "your" society is a good way to die quickly and violently, be it in your home, company, or favorite bar&grill.

Unfortunately, there is no good advice on this one- you'd have to be armed, on-body, in your home. Not real common, anymore.

Lead Moderator
    I often wonder where the media gets their so called experts, I've very rarely seen one that seems expert to me....... And, I know I'm not!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well we all know that 911 = dial a prayer while 1911 may well be a prayer answered lol

Trust that a cop will come to the rescue if you want too. Keep the mace on your person and get a pistol.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Sponsored Links