.45 GAP for newbie concealed?

.45 GAP for newbie concealed?

This is a discussion on .45 GAP for newbie concealed? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to this forum and to CC. I have my Washington CPP and a CK 75 and am considering some form of compact pistol ...

Thread: .45 GAP for newbie concealed?

Question .45 GAP for newbie concealed?

I'm new to this forum and to CC. I have my Washington CPP and a CK 75 and am considering some form of compact pistol in .45 GAP. I have smallish hands so am impressed with what I read about smaller grips possible with the .45 GAP.

Have any of you had any experiencee with a .45 GAP pistol, and if so, what gun do you recommend...assuming that you do recommend buying this smaller .45?

Thanks for the info and help.

Welcome from North Texas, flying hog! I used to tell my kids they could do something dangerous, silly, or stupid, etc. ONLY "When Pigs Fly!" They would have loved to see your nom de plume!

Anyway, I won't opine on your question. I shoot that "wimpy" 9mm stuff, ya know....., but welcome to CC!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Welcome from Idaho Flyinghog
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I wouldn't recommend the cartridge in general unless you're a big reloader - there's a question as to whether it's going to be around or adopted in any quantity.

Witness the many cartridges that come and go every year - and this may well be one of them.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Welcome,

I have .45 ACP because IMO its cheaper and easier to find. I couldn't tell you about ballistics.
    Live Free or Die

Lead Moderator
    Gotta agree w/ rfurtkamp . no idea how long the GAP may be readily avalible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome Hog

I too would not get involved with this cal - not because it is especially inadequate but it needs a dedicated platform and - I somewhat doubt it will ever be readily available like the old fave's.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.....one of the best ideas to come on the heels of this cartridge is the downsized Springfield Armory 1911's. They are reduced in sized to fit around the GAP cartridge. I don't know if they hit the market yet though, but I first heard about the guns on Guns & Ammo magazine.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I would think long and hard before investing in this caliber. Personally I feel it will not be on the market in five years, after that good luck finding ammo.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have a Glock 37 in 45GAP and am very happy with the Gun and round. It is a pleasure to shoot and always very accurate. However the advice given by the others here is worth listening to. Check your area to see the availability of ammo for it. I have to mail order ammo and that can be hit or miss at times. I am going to start reloading so that will solve the target practice issue. As far as ballistics, it is so close to the 45ACP that I am not worried about its effectiveness. As far as which gun just find the one that fits your hand the best. There are so many good products now days that is hard to get a really bad one. So weigh the pluses and minuses for yourself and see if it's for you. For me it was a good choice but for others ???????
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the advice; I skipped the GAP

After reading some of your comments and talking with the major gun dealers and a range operator around here, I decided to not get a 45 GAP. Nobody thought the round would be around for long and the ballistics didn't compare to the 40 S & W.

So, I researched some more and ordered a 40 S&W in a Sig 239 SAS. Now, I have to wait a couple of weeks before I get my new baby. I've signed up for a couple of training courses (Firearms Institute of Seattle) and expect to carry concealed most of the time (not in schools, etc.).

Thanks again for the advice.

Larry

Im going to wait and see if this cartrage will stick around before buying one. If it does stay Im going to get a Glock 38.

I shot one of the 45GAP's yesterday - nice shooter - but the owner - who is a Glock Armorer - has spent 2 plus years trying to get the gun to operate correctly. That on top of the ammo issue.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I shoot the 9mm stuff so no advice from me. I may not kill'm but I'll scare the hell out of them.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

I shoot 357SIG, another round folks said wouldn't last. If the 9mm magic bullet doesn't obliterate them, they will be blinded by the flash, and the sound will turn their legs to jello. It's got that whole shock and awe thing going for it, ya know ;)

Enjoy your .40, and welcome to the board.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Sponsored Links