My new .22 rifle

My new .22 rifle

This is a discussion on My new .22 rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Our local sporting goods store received a shipment of both the Colt M4 22 rifles and the S&W M&P 22 rifle last week. Both are ...

Thread: My new .22 rifle

My new .22 rifle

Our local sporting goods store received a shipment of both the Colt M4 22 rifles and the S&W M&P 22 rifle last week. Both are new to the market with the Colt out a few months ago I believe, while the S&W was just released in the past few weeks. After handling both guns and doing some checking around the internet for reviews of both guns, I bought the S&W earlier this week. First off , I personally prefer the S&W's lighter weight polymer construction vs. the all metal of the Colt and FWIW, this is not some cheap "plastic" or nylon gun. The polymer is the same stuff you see with Glock or any of the other popular polymer frame pistols. The standard factory rails and the fact that it was $125-$150 cheaper than the Colt were another big selling factor. It has a MSRP at the S&W site of $500 while I walked out the door with my new M&P for $450. I already had a lot of extra parts from an AR that I had a number of years ago so along with some rail covers I had sitting around, I was able to add a carry handle and vertical grip at no extra cost. FYI, the stock factory picture here is not my personal rifle and was taken from the S&W site. The other gun shown is mine and is the same gun except for the accessories I just mentioned, along with a light/laser I added just to see how it looked.

After a good cleaning (not really necessary) and lube I shot about 100 rds during my first trip to the range with the M&P a few days ago. It was just as accurate and reliable as my old Ruger 10/22 and I'm able to do a lot more with it as far as customizing. Even my youngest son (10 y/o) was putting most shots into a 6" circle with iron sights at 50 yds with the gun after a few practice shots and he was having a blast... literally AND figuratively! This gun is just plain FUN to shoot! At 5lbs the S&W is lighter than the Colt and with it shootng the mild .22LR and not a center fire round, there's no recoil so it is nice not having the extra weight. Also, there are no non-functioning knobs or buttons (a fake forward assist for example) installed like on the Colt. You can swap out the M&P's trigger assembly with any standard AR match trigger if you feel the need as well as the stocks while the rails accept Weaver based and picatinny accessories. It will also accept most aftermarket pistol grips as per S&W. I can't confirm it personally, but according to several different reviews I read the barrels are high quality and made by Thompson-Center. While this isn't exactly a true AR inside, it's close enough that those who have a "real" AR will be familiar with it's parts and functions and all the external controls and switches are in the right place as well. I really like the similarities and if you already own or shoot a standard AR15, you will feel instantly familiar with this rifle. In addition, with the adjustable stock and it's light weight, my wife & kids can shoot it just as easily as me and my kids won't outgrow it like they have several youth model guns I've purchased for them in the past. Finally, being a .22LR I can shoot several hundred rounds from this little gem for less than the cost of twenty .223/5.56 or 7.62 bullets in my bigger "black" rifles.

As I said, I looked at both guns and for my purposes, the S&W M&P 15-22 was the way to go. OTOH, if you want something closer to the classic M4/M16 in looks and feel or simply like metal over polymer you may want the Colt. Both are new to the market and there's no long term experience to review for either gun yet. There will be those that prefer one over the other, but so far I VERY happy with my newest S&W.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

It's official...I hate you! I want one of these soooo bad! I've heard a lot of good things about these rifles and it sounds like Smith has done their homework. Your report echoes everything else I've heard about these neat little guns. Enjoy your new toy!

In the name of fairness, I've enclosed a photo I got from the Colt site of their new .22 AR.

There are actually three versions of Colt's gun, unlike the S&W which has one model only... at least for now. There's an M-4, an M-16 and a railed Tactical model. The ones I checked out were the M-4 and the Tactical rifles. FWIW the Tactical version is almost identical to my S&W 15-22, only heavier. As I said, I paid $450 for the S&W while the Colt's M-4 had a tag price of $570 and the Tactical gun sold for $600. Aside from a higher price and the added weight, due to their design things like the trigger and grips aren't interchangeable with standard AR parts like the S&W There may be more but those stood out for me. OTOH, I discovered that most of the Colt's parts are built by Walther. That's nice since Walther is known for it's quality. Also, maybe it's because the gun is really a Walther that there's so little interchangeability between it and a standard AR.

While I was looking into the guns at my local store, someone who was also checking them out mentioned you could buy a Ruger 10/22 for a good bit less than either gun, extra magazines are everywhere and cheap, and I could trick it out later if I wanted to. That is true, but unlike the S&W, you can't adjust the stock on the Ruger for a smaller child, there aren't any accessory rails for sights or whatever and if you want to "trick out" a 10/22 it will cost more than the S&W - or probably the Colt's as well - to buy the Ruger and the aftermarket parts to do the job. Another guy pointed out I could buy a .22 conversion upper and simply swap it on a standard AR lower. That is also true. However, that assumes you already have a lower to put the converion on and from what I've seen, a conversion cost as much as a complete Colt M-4 22 rifle and a good bit more than the S&W. If you don't already have an AR lower, you'll need to get one and now you have closer to a thousand bucks invested, if not more!

Anyway, I really wouldn't mind owning either gun but for the money, S&W seems to offer much more bang for my buck. I made my choice and the S&W seems to be living up to it's early reports of being a well made gun at a reasonable price. BTW, I tried them and the Colt and S&W magazines are not interchangable. Hopefully, both companies will soon have a supply of magazines to sell aftermarket since both S&W and Colt only give you one mag with the gun. If it get's lost or broken, what you have is a very "bad" looking (and expensive) single shot rifle.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Do all of the AR features work properly (other than the nonexistent forward assist)?

I am thinking the biggest downside to a conversion bolt assembly is the lack of functioning bolt release switch. Ideally what I want is something that is exactly like my real AR in every way except that it fires .22 instead of 5.56. Lacking a forward assist wouldn't be so bad, though...I've never actually had to use it anyhow.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

There is no forward assist on the S&W (Colt has the fake one), the bolt release works, the mag release and safety is the same and the break down/field stripping is essentially the same as a regular AR rifle. The magazine is inserted and removed the same as any AR mag, contrary to some reports that say otherwise. Like I said, unlike Colt .22 clones, if a part is on the M&P 15-22 it works. It was a major reason I picked it over the M-4/M-16 knockoff's from Colt. Also, since this is a blowback vs. gas system, there is none of the problem with dirty chambers you find with many AR's.

He is a larger photo of the gun showing more detail if that helps any.
    Attached Images

EAJ
    Congrats, glad to hear that you're enjoying it. I ordered one too after looking at both the Colt and S&W. Hopefully they will have the advertised barrel shroud/can and extra mags available for it soon. :)

An AR is an AR is an AR...even in .22 LR. Well Done!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

EAJ
    Just heard from my dealer. Mine just arrived; $425 delivered to my FFL. Hooray! :)

Here's a review I came across last night. Enjoy.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Very nice, I gotta have one of those. My wife is going to kill me.

EAJ
    If anyone would like my dealer info she's great to work with and offers very competitive pricing. I just purchased the last one in stock, but she can place a backorder. These rifles are also available on gunbroker.com if you don't mind paying substanially more. Feel free to PM me for my dealer info if interested. :)

$425. That's a surprisingly good price! With new (stock) Ruger 10/22s costing over half that & Vorquartsens costing over twice that...they otta' sell a bunch of 'em. I read the review, no range report. Does anyone know how accurately these things are shooting?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Nice!! congrats!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

EAJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    $425. That's a surprisingly good price! With new (stock) Ruger 10/22s costing over half that & Vorquartsens costing over twice that...they otta' sell a bunch of 'em. I read the review, no range report. Does anyone know how accurately these things are shooting?
    There's a review of the Colt and S&W over at gunblast. :)

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    OK, I've sold a bunch of stuff and I need (yep, need LOL) one of these. Where's the best place to get one? I've heard that Whittakers had them for $399. Anywhere else have a good deal on one? I'm in Tampa/SW FL so I could do a local deal also.

Sponsored Links