New "Tactical" Varmint Rifle (Photos)

This is a discussion on New "Tactical" Varmint Rifle (Photos) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know there's varmint boards, but you folks are the ones I hang with and talk to so thought I'd share my new varmint rifle ...

Thread: New "Tactical" Varmint Rifle (Photos)

I know there's varmint boards, but you folks are the ones I hang with and talk to so thought I'd share my new varmint rifle with you all. You couldn't really call it a defensive rifle, but it should make one heck of a sniper rifle if the wind isn't blowing too bad.

Anyhow, back in June seven of us made a trip out to Colorado to shoot prairie dogs. We got in so much shooting in the two days that we're going to make another trip in September. In two days of shooting, 7 of us fired right at 4500 rounds. I've already got a Ruger #1 in 204 Ruger, but I like shooting the caliber so much I decided I needed another one. I thought really hard about trying something different again, but just couldn't pull myself away from the 700 Remington. Ended up with a 700 VS SF II. 204 Ruger, 26" fluted barrel and a H-S Precision stock. Did go with a different scope this time. Nikon Monarch ED, 8X32X50, side focus with Nikon's BDC reticule. Haven't shot the rifle yet but I've already installed a Jewell 10 oz. trigger and a Callahan non-ISS high speed firing pin assembly. Been loading ammo and we're going to try and hit the range on Wednesday if we can get the weather to cooperate.

Couple of pics below. I'm just excited and needed to share.

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Looks like a nice setup. Congratulations!

Another few weekends like that and you'll need a new barrel.

A few weeks back, I picked up a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .243. Am trying a Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 scope, at least initially. Nice out to ~600yds or so, but not as clear as the Nikon. Am missing the BDC a bit, which my other Nikons have. Have a Jewell trigger being installed, as well, to correct the heavy X-Mark Pro. Onto the Harris HBR-S it'll go, once back from the gunsmith. Here's to long-distance varminting.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Beautiful rifle and scope combo. Just keep shots to 250 yards or greater, more of a challenge, gives the little buggers a sportin chance to duck before getting hit. When I was stationed in Oklahoma spent many a fun afternoon vaporizing prairie dogs with a 220 Swift.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Very nice !
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Hi cvhoss
    I agree with you I also have many varmit rifles and this is a great site !
    Nice rig :}
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Nice setup! Love it! Vaporizing 'dogs quite the sport here. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Looks like a nice setup. Congratulations!

Another few weekends like that and you'll need a new barrel.
    In some ways, I'm glad I don't live closer to shooting like what we got into. If I lived close enough to be out there every weekend, I'd go broke with ammo and barrels. Not to mention the cost of the divorce.

A few weeks back, I picked up a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .243.
    That's the gun my son bought himself (only in 204 Ruger) to make the trip in June. One heck of a shooter.

Am trying a Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 scope, at least initially. Nice out to ~600yds or so, but not as clear as the Nikon. Am missing the BDC a bit, which my other Nikons have.
    This is my 4th what I consider "high quality" scope. This new Nikon, a Leupold VX-III, a Bushnell Elite 4200 and a Sightron. I wish I could afford to put this type of glass on all my rifles, but I'll need to win the lottery first. The vast majority of my rifles wear Simmons scopes, which I have had excellent luck with considering the price. The only thing I've decided after buying the Leupold is that any new scope I buy from now on will have side focus on it. On rapidly varying distances like prairie dog shooting, it's just too handy.

Have a Jewell trigger being installed, as well, to correct the heavy X-Mark Pro. Onto the Harris HBR-S it'll go, once back from the gunsmith.
    Aren't those Jewell triggers something else? This makes my third one and I'm just as amazed with it as I was with the first one I put in. Beautiful triggers.

Here's to long-distance varminting.
    I'll drink to that.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Beautiful rifle and scope combo. Just keep shots to 250 yards or greater, more of a challenge, gives the little buggers a sportin chance to duck before getting hit. ............
    After spending some time talking with the guy that owned the 7500 acre field of holes we were shooting on, I get the impression he wouldn't care if we were out there with a , as long as we shot the little buggers.

I made a blind page on my web site to share with the guys I was there with. If you want to see a few pictures (didn't get to take many pictures as we were too busy shooting), you can follow the link below BUT --- Content Warning!! -- Don't click the link unless you are prepared for some graphic bullet impact photos!! If you just want to see the area we were shooting at, I've put a couple of pictures at the end of this post.

Prairie Dog Shoot

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links