I really get the sense...

This is a discussion on I really get the sense... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That we are in the midst of a major ammo shortage. It's been months that we've seen shortages of various calibers in my region, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really get the sense...

That we are in the midst of a major ammo shortage. It's been months that we've seen shortages of various calibers in my region, and ammo prices are going way up. If we end up with another hurricane season like last year and with such an already scared Country, I think I'll be restricting some of my shooting sessions.

I've got some range time planned for the next few weeks, but I'm leaving all my AK's home. The only guns I'm going to be shooting are my primary defensive weapons and the calibers that I reload.

Anyone else starting to feel this way?

I haven't seen shortages, but I have seen price increases. I don't need to cut back (no AK's, darn!), but 9mm went from $3.86 per fifty to $4.86 at Academy Sporting Goods about a month ago. I don't know if its production shortfalls, increasing demands, or just price increases.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i understand 7.62 x 39 is being affected by some gvt purchaces , other than that i dont have any idea lol

Assistant Administrator
    Jamie - I think I share your appraisal. Indeed not only cost hikes going on but several folks have been mentioning that stuff is harder to find. Al least - not as freely available as we might be used to. I haven't bought much more than odd 100's from WM in recent months so have not seen this a lot myself.

I have also cut back on some useage - I have 2k plus of 7.62x39 and will probably not let that run below 1k as a minimum. Even .308 - I am down to an 800 case of Aus' stuff and doubt that will get hit too hard now.

Like you I reload and so for handgun cal's not so concerned as I can crank some out if need be - plenty of consumables in stock.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

no problems here either

AK ammo is more expensive and harder to find.

Other than that, I'm having zero problems ordering for the store above normal.

Other than people who read something on the Internet, I'm not getting panicked buyers or suppliers failing to deliver.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

seems like outdoormarksman is getting some in. they have more than they did 2 weeks ago. cheaperthandirt is still low on some cals.

I heard (no, I don't have proof) that 7.62x39 is short due to the Iraqi Army, Guard and Police forces are buying up allot of it. Same with Afgan* (can't spell it). That they are using great quanities of ammo in their training. I'm sure that Iran, Syria, and other nations that use the 7.62 is also buying their fair share of it also.

I don't know what sidearm that the Iraqi/Afgan forces are going to be using but they will buy up large quanities of that also.

I would guess that would be the reasons for .223, 9mm, .308 and maybe some other calibers are short and more expensive since this is what our side uses.

There is also the shipping costs. Ammo is not light, a tin of 1000 is quite heavy and that adds weights to trucks/airplanes which in turn means they are consuming more fuel. Fuel is expensive so the cost is passed on to us.

Also, Hazmat security has gone up. Not every truck driver can carry a load full of ammo, the same with private carriers (UPS, FedEx, Etc) because in order to get Hazmat on your CDL now, you have to go through a background check. We all know how "fast" the government works so it's taking along time for those that are able to be cleared. It also cuts down and causes more work for the trucking companies to ensure that only those that passed the BG check are driving the Hazmat trucks.

But my real thinking is that the govenment has 1) Sneaked through a tax on all ammo that we didn't see/catch and 2) That the government knows that the US is about to have it's own civil war (between Muslims/Christians, Americans/Illegals, Americans-Illegals-Muslims/Government(s).

Wayne

VIP Member
    Try getting 5.45x39 these days.......
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Try getting 5.45x39 these days......
    I hear that.

I have a friend that just built a Bulgarian AK74 rifle and now he can't get ammo for it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young
    I hear that.

I have a friend that just built a Bulgarian AK74 rifle and now he can't get ammo for it.
    ...my WASR2 is equally virginal much to my chagrin.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

7.62x39 (surplus) has been scarce for awhile now. You can still get it - but expect to pay twice as much as it used to be.

Other than that, I live 30 minutes from AimSurplus.

I have a couple more guns to buy then Ill be stocking up on ammo just to be sure. Ive been planing on this for sometime. But after I get those last few guns in the collection.

Sixgun

I noticed AIM Surplus just updated their website with more 7.62x39 ammo since this post was started. Ammoman is also running 2 days behind because of the ammo demand.

I'll buy reloading components for 7.62x39 before I pay $160 for 1000rds of it.

no problems getting anything around here. prices do seem to be going up though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links