Removing finish from sig 220 slide?

This is a discussion on Removing finish from sig 220 slide? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may sound a bit odd, but I really have a thing for two tone sig's I have a 220 carry in black and was ...

Thread: Removing finish from sig 220 slide?

Removing finish from sig 220 slide?

This may sound a bit odd, but I really have a thing for two tone sig's I have a 220 carry in black and was just curious to know if it was possible to remove the finish on the slide to make it two tone? Would it look crappy and need to be bead blasted? Should I send the slide to someone (if anyone even does that sorta thing)? Thanks!
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

2. Remove Ads

You remove the finish and it will rust unless it is recoated with a different finish
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Maybe......

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You remove the finish and it will rust unless it is recoated with a different finish
    I had a SIG P-229 and I remember the slide was stamped "stainless", even though it had that nonreflective finish on it.
    Beadblasting would probably be the best way, although I've removed finishes with sandpaper and gotten really good results. Trick is starting with a medium grit, going slow and easy and finishing with 1500 or 2000 grit.
    Last edited by automatic slim; August 9th, 2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I had a SIG P-229 and I remember the slide was stamped "stainless", even though it had that nonreflective finish on it.
    Beadblasting would probably be the best way, although I've removed finishes with sandpaper and gotten really good results. Trick is starting with a medium grit, going slow and easy and finishing with 1500 or 2000 grit.
    Thanks for the tip! It is definitely stainless under the finish. I may also look around to see if there is someone who could blast it for me. If the cost is reasonable I may just go that route. Im just happy to know that someone else has successfully done something similar.

I wish it were an sas slide. I put a friends natural stainless sas slide on it and it looks GREAT!
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

One other question: Is there any way to match the controls to the slide (with natural finish)? Ive seen it on other sigs but I dont think that they had a natural finish on the slide (nickel maybe?)

I did a 229 and a 220 just as you want to with 1500 grit sandpaper, it took forever but turned out nice. If you can find someone with a buffing wheel it helps a lot after all the finish is off. That said, bead blasting would be even better.

I found out that Sig does it for a pretty reasonable price. I may just go through them.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Look up CCR; they have an excellent finish called Cera-Plate that is a lot like Robar NP-3, but cheaper and, from what I have read, better. Ah, here's the link:

* CCR-REFINISHING

Customized Creationz also does nice finishing work on SIGs. If you are just having the slide finished (and you probably don't want to blast an aluminum frame anyway because it can affect the anodizing), you can mail it without FFL involvement, so it should be a pretty easy transaction.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Cera-Plate is available for Carbon steel only....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Then perhaps I was thinking of the other coating they offer, called Cera-Hide, I think.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links