Sonic Defenders

This is a discussion on Sonic Defenders within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was checking out some Sonic Defenders and was curious if anyone has them, or knows if they are worth it. Right now I just ...

Thread: Sonic Defenders

Sonic Defenders

I was checking out some Sonic Defenders and was curious if anyone has them, or knows if they are worth it.

Right now I just have muffs and plugs but wish I would get something like these Sonic Defenders where it seems like I dont need anything extra.

Any opinions on them? the reviews at different places are nice.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...nic+Defenders/

I was going to pick up a pair of muffs at walmart, but if these things are better, then I'll get them.

2. Remove Ads

Do not know about sonic defenders but these work extremely well for me:

MidwayUSA - Peltor Indoor-Outdoor Range E-A-R Ear Plugs (NRR 22 dB) 1 Pair

I always use the olive end in. They work MUCH better and are more comfortable then regular foam plugs.

I always use both plugs and ear muffs Since 165db-30db=135db and that is still loud enough to damage.

If you are comfortable using ear plugs, do yourself a favor and buy them in bulk...

Hearing Protection , noise protection , foam ear plugs Howard Leight ear plugs M

At $.08 a pair you can't go wrong. Plus a NRR of 30 for the plugs in the link above.

I work in the quarry industry and we use these particular plugs with much success and little complaint.

Personally, while shooting I like to use plugs and muffs at the same time. That way I can take of the muffs when I'm not shooting and still be protected from noise around me. Plus when you get used to using ear plugs, you really don't have much problem hearing conversation amongst noise.

This post is a bit of a hijack from your original question, I apologize for that. Guess I'm just giving option and opinion. Wish you luck and good shooting with whatever you decide to use.

Quote Originally Posted by moparoutlaw View Post
    If you are comfortable using ear plugs, do yourself a favor and buy them in bulk...

Hearing Protection , noise protection , foam ear plugs Howard Leight ear plugs M

At $.08 a pair you can't go wrong. Plus a NRR of 30 for the plugs in the link above.

I work in the quarry industry and we use these particular plugs with much success and little complaint.

Personally, while shooting I like to use plugs and muffs at the same time. That way I can take of the muffs when I'm not shooting and still be protected from noise around me. Plus when you get used to using ear plugs, you really don't have much problem hearing conversation amongst noise.

This post is a bit of a hijack from your original question, I apologize for that. Guess I'm just giving option and opinion. Wish you luck and good shooting with whatever you decide to use.
    Thanks for that, I have a pair of plugs already, but they say "NOT rated for gunshots" so I figure the foam ones are not either.

The sonic defenders seem nice, i'd rather have plugs only and no muffs, so what I am trying to figure out is if they are worth it, and I wouldnt need muffs.

Or just keep my plugs and get muffs to wear over my plugs, but I want something that is going to keep the levels down so I dont get a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    Do not know about sonic defenders but these work extremely well for me:

MidwayUSA - Peltor Indoor-Outdoor Range E-A-R Ear Plugs (NRR 22 dB) 1 Pair

I always use the olive end in. They work MUCH better and are more comfortable then regular foam plugs.

I always use both plugs and ear muffs Since 165db-30db=135db and that is still loud enough to damage.
    What are those numbers that you are saying? you lost me sorry

Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    I was checking out some Sonic Defenders and was curious if anyone has them, or knows if they are worth it.
    Save your money. They look as if they would work great but they really don't sit well in the ear canal and don't suppress sound well. Foam plugs are much better.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

For about what you'd pay for a one-size-fits-all Sonic Defender, you can make a custom set and get 26db reduction. Try these:
    BROWNELLS : RADIANS : CUSTOM MOLDED EAR PLUGS

I had those also. Anything that you make at home has not worked well for me.

I may go down this road, for $130 my son's ENT will make a custom fit set with a 33db reduction.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    They are OK, in my experience, but are not quiet enough to use on an indoor range. They help (I use one in my non-ear piece ear when on runs through the city), but with the "plug" out they aren't as effective as foamies or muffs.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

For me... foam plugs + ear muffs... quiet enough to hear my toes crack... Just kidding.

I used foam plugs alone and with muffs at an indoor range the other day and had no issues with either setup. My guess with the foam plugs "no gunshots" disclaimer is nothing more than a pencil pusher "cover the company's ass" statement.

I can tell you this, the plug that was linked to in my earlier post is one of the ear plugs we offer to our employees at our quarry. The NRR and quality of that simple foam plug satisfies the Federal safety wonks quite nicely.

Don't think you can go too wrong with a quality foam ear plug.

Links