better option? (handgun)

This is a discussion on better option? (handgun) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need some advice from the more experanced members. My mother and I went to the local range last Saterday. she was not comfortable with ...

Thread: better option? (handgun)

better option? (handgun)

I need some advice from the more experanced members.

My mother and I went to the local range last Saterday.
    she was not comfortable with the grip on my XD40SC so I rented a 357 6 shooter (nice grips I thought) and she shot some 38s out of it.

after 18 rounds her sholder was buggin her and she knew it was time to stop. I know that shooting more often will build up the mucles that she has not use. but she also stated the recoil was a bit much for her older frame. she is around 63 now.

I shot off the rest of the 50 round box and we stoped by the gun shop at the range. she fondled a few and fell in love with a S&W M&P 9mm compact with crimson trace grips. she fell out of love looking at the $740 price tag.

now my question, what is there that is avalable in a low recoil autoloader that has a laser option. and it does not cost $700.

it may have been the ruber grip on the M&P that she liked so much.
    I know that a .32 or a .380 dos not rate as high as a 9mm for self defence but what you have is 1000 times better then what you don't.

So, what options are avalable?

P.S.
    her first shot was bulls eye.
    her las gun experance was 30 years ago, and that was a .22LR
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

2. Remove Ads

That S&W with the CT grips is probably par with going rates. Try pricing one separate and adding it to any pistol and you're looking at pistol price plus a couple hundred easy.
    I like rubber grips personally, and it might be more than just the feel even though recoil isn't a factor for me with any caliber I shoot. IMO, they give a bit of user adjustment to otherwise hard/smooth factory grips on most pistols....and more comfortable.
    One of my best friends in the world is female and age 63. I've attempted to sway her into some sort of pistol in the past, but she continues to carry the keychain pepper spray I gave her almost a year ago (it's a good one BTW and I have one for myself).
    Thing is...we all seem to do well for ourselves in what we choose as a defensive sidearm within our means, and in a caliber we trust and what works for us. It's rather difficult to disconnect ourselves from those aspects when we decidedly go about "helping" choose a pistol for someone we care about and love because we already have a predisposition on the matter. When it all comes down to it, are each and every one of us able to put a price on life? It's what we are essentially thinking about when we go looking for a life saving tool for our near and dear isn't it? My advice then would be....if you can afford it, and they like it....shoot well with it (more than twice to rule out beginner's luck), can manipulate it, and feel comfortable with it....then so be it. Many of us will compromise in certain situations. Sometimes our loved ones deserve more attention than ourselves, and if it came down to my mother, then I'm guessing I would starve for as long as I needed to get what's best for her, or I'd eat macaroni and cheese forever and sell my soul to make it happen.
    You can probably find a better deal all together or separate...but then we would be talking about what YOU are looking for and not your mother.

Ram Rod,
    Thanks. we still need to locate a place that has a rentable M&P compact 9mm that she can shoot PRIOR to buying one. if that can be located and she does not have an issue with the recoil, then I can bite the bullet and get her one. I have no issue with that. I just wat to find her a gun she can shoot more often then 4 times a year. pratice will make for better control and being more fimular with your gun is never a bad thing.

what I was looking for are options that she can try. .35, .32, .380 and 9mm. brands and sizes that MAY be comperable to the M&P.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    I need some advice from the more experanced members.

My mother and I went to the local range last Saterday.
    she was not comfortable with the grip on my XD40SC so I rented a 357 6 shooter (nice grips I thought) and she shot some 38s out of it.

after 18 rounds her sholder was buggin her and she knew it was time to stop. I know that shooting more often will build up the mucles that she has not use. but she also stated the recoil was a bit much for her older frame. she is around 63 now.

I shot off the rest of the 50 round box and we stoped by the gun shop at the range. she fondled a few and fell in love with a S&W M&P 9mm compact with crimson trace grips. she fell out of love looking at the $740 price tag.

now my question, what is there that is avalable in a low recoil autoloader that has a laser option. and it does not cost $700.

it may have been the ruber grip on the M&P that she liked so much.
    I know that a .32 or a .380 dos not rate as high as a 9mm for self defence but what you have is 1000 times better then what you don't.

So, what options are avalable?

P.S.
    her first shot was bulls eye.
    her las gun experance was 30 years ago, and that was a .22LR
    It is good that she went shooting with you. She is not too old to shoot or defend herself. If you put a big revolver in her hand with a short barrel, it is going to have one heck of a recoil, not to mentioned trigger pull.

I would recommend that you try a fun pistol for now. One I like and shoot often is the Walther P22. A ten round semi-auto .22 LR. It is a 3/4 model of the P99. It is not too expensive for the quality and with HP, It can kill.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    That S&W with the CT grips is probably par with going rates. Try pricing one separate and adding it to any pistol and you're looking at pistol price plus a couple hundred easy................
    Ram Rod hit the nail on the head. The CT grips will add at least $250.00 to the price of the gun. That means you're actually looking at about $490.00 for the M&P pistol. I don't think you're going to find a quality firearm for any less. If she likes the M&P, she basically has two options. Buy the gun without the CT grips and add them later if she still wants them or find the gun she wants for less money. Depending on what you could work out with a receiving FFL, Bud's Gun Shop currently shows the same gun for $653.00 delivered.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    A decent round without significant recoil is the .32 H&R magnum.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Links