Help me choose a .22 rifle

This is a discussion on Help me choose a .22 rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a recent thread here on my latest .22LR purchase that might interest you. It's http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-22-rifle.html . I'm very happy with it and it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a .22 rifle

I have a recent thread here on my latest .22LR purchase that might interest you. It's http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-22-rifle.html. I'm very happy with it and it just may fill the bill for you as well.

FYI they may be a little hard to find in some areas at the moment since S&W only began shipping them last month, but that should ease up soon.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Nice group fotomaker57. I looked at one toady at Gander Mountain, $289.00 with a Simmons scope. Do you know if you can dry fire them? The salesman showing me the accu. trigger pulled it twice and I asked him if you were suppose to do that. He said a few times won't hurt it, but it turned me away, I don't want to start off with a bad firing pin.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Nice group fotomaker57. I looked at one toady at Gander Mountain, $289.00 with a Simmons scope. Do you know if you can dry fire them? The salesman showing me the accu. trigger pulled it twice and I asked him if you were suppose to do that. He said a few times won't hurt it, but it turned me away, I don't want to start off with a bad firing pin.
    You should never dry fire any rimfire firearm. Without a cartridge, the firing pin smacks the side of the chamber and will eventually damage the firing pin or the chamber. If you want to dry fire a rimfire, use snap-caps. The occasional dry fire won't hurt, but it's not something you want to do as much as you would in practicing.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I would like to see you reconsider tube fed magazines too. Removable magazines limit you somewhat. Why exactly don't you want to also consider something that will shoot long rifle along with shorts? And you rule out all the really nice Lever actions plus the Speedmaster Remington Semi Auto is ruled out as well. And perhaps I am forgetting a few others that are Tube feed.

The Savage is nice and universally loved by owners. The Winchester Wildcat is another under-appreciated rifle. Bolt action, detachable magazines (and it comes with 5 I think!) and available in heavy or light barrel versions. I have seen a few that were plenty accurate for your needs and one is on my short list for guns to buy in 2009.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    titleist, I have an AR on the way, and an SKS that I really like, so I am set (for now ) on full sized battle rifle calibers. (Might want to add a .308 or .30-06 down the road, of course...) I am specifically trying to fill the .22 niche for now.

fotomaker, very nice. I think the Mk. II is moving up my list!

rachilders, I did see your thread. I may want a .22 AR or conversion upper down the road, but at the moment that doesn't feel like what will scratch the itch for me...

cphilip, I already have a Winchester 250 tube-fed lever gun, with a scope. It's very nice. Similar to my comment to titleist, though, I am just looking to fill a different niche right now. I definitely have nothing against level action, though!

Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it.

Is there anybody out there who has shot the CZ 452 Lux...?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Why a .22 LR ? What's your use for it ?

Reason I ask is, a .17 cal is also a good rifle. The choice between the 2 , to me, it would depend upon your use, usable distance, etc.

I have a Ruger 10/22.... and love it for what I'm using it for.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Why a .22 LR ? What's your use for it ?

Reason I ask is, a .17 cal is also a good rifle. The choice between the 2 , to me, it would depend upon your use, usable distance, etc.

I have a Ruger 10/22.... and love it for what I'm using it for.
    I like the .22 over the .17 because when used for squirrels or rabbit the .17 hits to hard and damages too much meat. If it were just for target it wouldn't matter so much. In addition, .22 is cheaper to shoot and that's always a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    cphilip, I already have a Winchester 250 tube-fed lever gun, with a scope. It's very nice. Similar to my comment to titleist, though, I am just looking to fill a different niche right now. I definitely have nothing against level action, though!
    Ah gotcha. Well... take a look at the Remington Speedmaster for an odd combination. Tube and Semi Auto... weird!

If you want a fun rifle, and you want to reach out a little farther...

Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

This was my last purchase, and I added a Leupold scope to it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    I just ordered a Mark ll FV with a scope today for $249.00. It's not much of a scope, but it will do until I have some extra money to put a good one on it. The one in the store had a Simmons on it and it only added $30 more dollars to the price tag. Should be here in about 3 weeks.

If this rifle is to be used for appleseed, then a lot of the suggestions above will not work well for this purpose as there are rapid mandatory reloads. For example, one magazine is loaded with 8 shots and the next is loaded with 2 shots and one must put all 10 shots on various targets. While it is possible to shoot appleseed well with a lever action, it is not easy. It's hard enough with a 10/22.

The prone position necessitates a short magazine since longer ones tend to hit the ground before your elbows. 20 rounders for AR's work well. I think the GSG won't work well if you can't get short mags for it.

Something else to think about is the larger the bullet diameter, the more likely you are to break the lines so a .17 is that much more of a challenge.

Basically, the Ruger 10/22 is perfect for appleseed and just about any other semi-auto with a detachable magazine will work fine too.

Distinguished Member
    I just want something that will knock a squirrel out of the tree at 100 yards. I have seen my brother do it at 78 yards with a Marlin 60 and a 4x tasco scope.

Marlin 795

I just got a Marlin 795 for the Appleseed I just went to. The Marlin 795 is mag fed, has auto bolt hold open, and they make Tech sights for it. Best part, accurate Liberty training rifle for Appleseed, $100 at Dick's sporting goods

I got 500 rds of ammo, a sling, a rifle, and I saved money on .308 ammo. The trigger is pretty long and a bit hard, but for $100 it is a nice rifle. Not as much aftermarket upgrades for the 10/22, but the price couldn't be beat. Very accurate as well.

You may have read some of this before since I did some cut & paste from another post, but I expanded it and added some comments specific to some questions here...

When our local sporting goods store received a shipment of both the Colt M4 22 rifle and it's "tactical" verion, the Ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P 15-22 rifles early last month I did some hands on time with the guns. Later, after doing some checking around the internet for reviews of both the S&W and Colt (I couldn't find anything on the Ruger but I'll guess it's as reliable as any Ruger 10/22), I bought the S&W. FYI, I liked the Colt Tactical model of the .22 and considered buying it. It was almost exactly the same as the S&W but metal. However, it was almost $200 more than the 15-22 and at least a pound heavier due to it's metal construction.

There are those who will argue the point, but I personally prefer the S&W's lighter weight polymer construction vs. the all metal of the Colt. While there are many people who like their guns made of only metal and wood (I do myself in most cases), I think a polymer frame/stock is a good choice for an all purpose & all weather gun, especially a .22. It's usually lighter (weight is good for recoil control but a .22 has no recoil), won't rust, is much less likely to break or warp, is usually cheaper to make and can be molded into almost any shape. Several people suggested I get the basic 10/22 and "trick" it out and I considered it. However, between the cost of a new gun, an aftermarket stock and other parts that met my requirements, it would have cost as much as the S&W by the time I'd purchased everything separately, quite possibly more. The S&W's standard factory rails and the fact that it was $125-$175 cheaper than the Ruger SR and Colt M4 were another big selling factor. The 15-22 has a MSRP at the S&W site of $500 but I walked out the door with my M&P for $450. Something else that was nice for me is I already had a lot of extra parts from an AR that I'd sold a number of years ago. So along with some rail covers I had sitting around, I was able to add a carry handle and vertical grip at no extra cost.

I've shot about 250 rds during my two trips to the range with the M&P. It was just as accurate and reliable as my old Ruger 10/22 and I'm able to do a lot more with it as far as customizing than I ever could with my 10/22. FYI I'd still have that 10/22, which I got back in the 80's, but it was stolen during a burglary about 15 years ago when I lived in New Orleans. Anyway, I was hitting cola cans at 75+ yards and my youngest son (10 y/0) was putting most shots into a 6" circle with the iron sights at 50 yds with the gun after a few practice shots and we were both having a blast... literally! Much like another poster said about his new Colt 22, this gun is just plain FUN to shoot! At 5 lbs the S&W is light but with it shootng the mild .22LR, there's no recoil and it's nice not having to deal with recoil when my kids shoot it. There are also no non-functioning knobs or buttons (a fake forward assist for example) like there are on some of the other AR clones. You can swap out the M&P's trigger assembly with any standard AR match trigger if you feel the need along with the stocks while the rails accept Weaver based and picatinny accessories. It will also accept most aftermarket pistol grips as per S&W. According to several different reviews I read the barrels are high quality "match grade" and made by Thompson-Center so it should be capable of very good accuracy. While none of these guns are exactly true AR inside, the Colt and S&W are close enough that those who have a "real" AR will be familiar with it's parts and functions. All the external controls and switches are in the right place as well. In addition, with the adjustable stock and it's light weight, my wife & kids can shoot it just as easily as me and my kids won't outgrow it like they have several youth model guns.

I see no reason why a S&W 15-22 or any of the AR clones in .22 LR wouldn't work at an Appleseed training program. At the Appleseed website they actually suggest using a .22 rifle due to ammo costs and if a 10/22 - one of the guns they mentioned - will work I see no reason why the S&W wouldn't. I can tell you from my own experience that this gun is easily capable of putting 5 shots into a quarter size hole at 25 meters (less than 80 ft). With a 4X scope and a rest/bipod, I'd guess you could place 5 shots into an area the size of a dime at 50 yds with a little practice and good ammo. OTOH, they suggest bringing at least 5 magazines and at this time these guns are VERY new to the market and extra mags are still in tight supply for most of them.

As I said, I considered both the Colt and the S&W and for my purposes, the S&W M&P 15-22 was the way to go. OTOH, if you want something closer to the classic M4/M16 in looks and feel or simply like metal over polymer you may want the Colt. If you want someting less expensive and more easily available than either the Colt or S&W, get a Ruger 10/22 or one of the other more traditional .22's available at most gun and sporting goods stores. There will be those that prefer one over the other, but so far I VERY happy with my newest S&W and would recommend it to anyone who asks.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links