Legalities of rifle carry

Legalities of rifle carry

This is a discussion on Legalities of rifle carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's not what it sounds like. Quite often when I go to the range, I'll just sling my M4, AK-47, SKS etc... around my shoulder, ...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Legalities of rifle carry

It's not what it sounds like.

Quite often when I go to the range, I'll just sling my M4, AK-47, SKS etc... around my shoulder, grab my range bag and load up the car.

I live in town and park on the street, sometimes down a few spots. Does anyone know what the legalities are in PA about having an unloaded rifle on a public sidewalk like this? I've heard it's ok in PA, but just wanna get a few opinions on the matter.

I would think it's brandishing a weapon on public property. Even if all is done on your property, it might be considered terroristic threatening if a neighbor calls the police on you. I'm not from PA and don't know the laws there, but I'm pretty much figuring on my blanket theory here (most places). I figure it's just like being on a public sidewalk with an open can of alcohol. It mainly depends on how far others would be willing to push the issue. My recommendation.........have it in a hard case or soft case where it's not visible to the public on public property. My opinion, and my advice.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I did find this from the PA code.

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

1. such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    2. such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

What do you make of that?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    IANAL and I don't know much about PA laws, but my reading of that is that you would be good to go as long as you have a LTCF.

That said, open carry of long guns is legal for me as well, but I almost always case up my rifles when going to the range.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I did find this from the PA code.

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

1. such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

2. such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

What do you make of that?
    If you have a LTCF permit you should be covered.

VIP Member
    Since I remember a time when I could walk around with a rifle, even in NYC, and carry it to school, then proceed on the subway to a range for rifle team practice, I just cringe when I read that it is unlawful to openly carry a long gun.

I don't doubt that it is, and maybe it was when I was a kid and I didn't know better and didn't get caught, but the restriction still makes me cringe.

The very idea of a LTCF for rifle owners bothers me.

Is there a reason why you don't have even a cheapo $10 case for it?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sometimes even cased guns people can tell it's a gun case,but when they see an AR15 or AK in the open and they are looking to steal guns,they just found a house that has what they are looking for
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sometimes even cased guns people can tell it's a gun case,but when they see an AR15 or AK in the open and they are looking to steal guns,they just found a house that has what they are looking for
    I always make a concerted effort to go outside and check to see if anyone of my neighbors are outside when I take my long arms to the car.

Sometimes I'm taking 4 or 5 long gun cases to the car and always do so as discreetly as possible.

I also close and lock the car each time I go back and forth into the house.

Yes it's a hassle, but I have druggies on each side of me and across the street. I don't freak out if anyone sees me, but I try to be as discrete as possible.

For those who say move to a better neighborhood... There are no better neighborhoods in my town. It's a small rural town of 3,000 people. Every block you go to, there are some unemployed druggies! You can have a row with three $150,000 + homes and then right next door a broken down two bedroom with couple unemployed 30 year old's cooking and dealing meth for a living. Still, break-in's are fairly uncommon in my town though it does happen from time to time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    In PA, your CCW only applies to handguns. The only 1st class city in PA is Philadelphia. If you don't live there, you're good to go. While not illegal, carrying an un-cased rifle is putting a whole lot of info out there. Not does it show anyone watching who has a rifle but also where they live. Go to Wal Mart and get a $5 tennis racket case.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. At the very least, it could result with you receiving some undesired attention. In these changing times, anything possible.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Administrator
    Possibly somebody will remember the exact story of the one guy in downtown Pittsburgh who decided that he was going to resolve a bad pigeon problem on the roof of his building in downtown PGH with a BB rifle.
    I believe that the incident ended up with S.W.A.T. being called out and surrounding the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I would think it's brandishing a weapon on public property. Even if all is done on your property, it might be considered terroristic threatening if a neighbor calls the police on you.
    General definition of brandishing is to wave or display a weapon in a threatening manner. Carrying a rifle slung on your shoulder is not brandishing.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links