Recoil, LCP & S&W snub

This is a discussion on Recoil, LCP & S&W snub within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Related to this thread I've fired a Smith & Wesson .38spl revolver, 2" barrel - not sure exactly what it was, but it looked very ...

Thread: Recoil, LCP & S&W snub

Recoil, LCP & S&W snub

Related to this thread

I've fired a Smith & Wesson .38spl revolver, 2" barrel - not sure exactly what it was, but it looked very much like the Model 36 or Model 40. I've fired more than a few 38's before, but the recoil on this was much more than I was used to. Shorter barrel, lighter frame - to be expected.

I also once had a light .380 that had recoil more like the 4" .38's I had fired. Size-wise, it was about the same as the Ruger LCP - but I don't know how it compares weight-wise.

With the comments about the LCP on the other thread, I was wondering if anyone had experience comparing the LCP with something like the Model 36 or Model 40 with 2" barrel?

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    I've owned a S&W model 642 Airweight and now have an LCP.

The Smith with stock grips was downright unpleasant to fire and my hand would ache after 25 rounds or so. The LCP is a little snappy, but much nicer to shoot. I've put 150 rounds through with no problem.

I much prefer the LCP and am much more accurate with it as well.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

To get a 642 to have less felt recoil change to grips that cover the backstrap.

I would imagine that a 642 loaded with factory ammunition has more felt recoil than a .380 loaded with factory ammunition. However, its kind of an apples and oranges comparison. The .380 LCP has a slide moving back and forth that will soak up some felt recoil, whereas the 642 doesn't. In addition, most .380 ACP factory loadings are throwing a 90-95 grain bullet, the .38 Special has common factory loadings up to 158 grains, 125 and 158 being the two most common, and can be handloaded with bullets up to 200 grains and beyond. The .38 Special can, and often does, have significantly more oomph than the .380 ACP. One pays for that extra power with more felt recoil.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
    To get a 642 to have less felt recoil change to grips that cover the backstrap.
    Yes, but then it's no longer a pocket pistol.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

My experience has been the LCP is snappier with less overall recoil. Trigger finger "smack" is an issue with some LCP owners.

VIP Member
    I have a 642 and my son just got an LCP. We went to the range a few days ago and after firing 3 or 4 mags thru it, I was done with it. The 642 is much easier to control and felt recoil is softer than the LCP, IMO. I have both Hogue Monogrips and Pachmyar compacts and both make the feel of the 642 much better and I can still fit the 642 in my pocket with any of the grips.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

A S&W 642 has more recoil, however the LCP wants to jump out of my hand.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    A S&W 642 has more recoil, however the LCP wants to jump out of my hand.
    I agree... The LCP seems very difficult to get a good grip on... That's what makes the 642 easier to shoot...IMO
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Yes, but then it's no longer a pocket pistol.
    I have a 642 with Model 405 Crimson Trace Laser Grips. They have a back strap which helps felt recoil quit a bit, and I easily pocket carry in any kind of pants or shorts in a Mika pocket holster.

The more you shoot it, the easier it gets to shoot more rounds at a given range visit.

My hand hurt after 10 or 15 rounds at first, and now I can easily shoot a box of 50 rounds without very much discomfort.

The grip you use also makes a difference. I have found that wraping the thumb of my weak hand over the top of my strong hand in back of the grip helps a lot.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The grip you use also makes a difference. I have found that wraping the thumb of my weak hand over the top of my strong hand in back of the grip helps a lot.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try this grip out at the range.

Links