S&W M&P40... with mag safety or without?

This is a discussion on S&W M&P40... with mag safety or without? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The M&P model with mag safety or the one without? What would you choose and why?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P40... with mag safety or without?

The M&P model with mag safety or the one without? What would you choose and why?

Without.

Unnecessary part. I don't feel the need for it on one of my pistols carried concealed for defense.

The only reason I can see is that if you open carry and someone tries to get it away from you, you can press the mag release and it won't fire. OTOH, if you aren't worried about retention or concealed carry, if the magazine release is hit accidently you can't even fire the chambered round.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

K.I.S.S. Keep it stupidly simple. Just one more thing to worry about. A big "'no thanks" from me. What happens if I accidentally bump the mag release while in a firefight...well then I have a nice paperweight. I want the one in the chamber to go "boom" when I pull that bang switch. Keep your finger off the trigger, and it won't go off. Always point in a safe direction, and keep locked up when not on you or next to the bed. So...I don't see any need for such a device.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    The only reason I can see is that if you open carry and someone tries to get it away from you, you can press the mag release and it won't fire. OTOH, if you aren't worried about retention or concealed carry, if the magazine release is hit accidently you can't even fire the chambered round.
    This. My M&P40c has it because I found a local deal on it. I'd rather have it without.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    If someone is trying to take my pistol from me, they are getting the business end of things, and dropping the magazine would be the LEAST of my worries. That shows intent to do hard IMO.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I got mine without the extra safety, I felt that this safety was absolutely unnecessary for me, but to each his own.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.----George Orwell

I got mine without...

but if you find a good deal on a M&P that has one
    Dan Burwell has the instructions for removal on his site.

S&W M&P mag disconnect removal

Another vote for without.

SD situation. You draw.. you have to fire... your mag wasn't seated... and it flies out.... but you got one in the tube.......

SD situation. You shoot.... you have to do a tactical mag change (one lefft in the tube)... as you're changing mags another BG goes after you.... but you still got one in the tube......

so which one you choose with mag safety or without?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    K.I.S.S. Keep it stupidly simple. Just one more thing to worry about. A big "'no thanks" from me. What happens if I accidentally bump the mag release while in a firefight...well then I have a nice paperweight.
    Carry a revolver if you want to keep it simple.

The MP40c without a mag safety is pretty much that simple.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I removed the mag safety from my hi-power so I think you know what I think about them.

Without...you do have fingers, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I sometimes carry a S&W 6906 with a mag safety. On one occasion, I returned home and took the gun off (IWB clip holster) and realized that the mag was not seated fully into the grip. In a worst case scenario, I would've drawn the gun, pulled the trigger and not even the chambered round would have fired. That one time was enough for me to decide that the downsides of having a mag safety outweigh any theoretical benefits. If we ever need a gun, we will need it now. Not 5 seconds from now, or after fumbling for a spare mag.

Was the mag safety invented for the purpose of preventing bullet setback from constantly re-chambering a round (for those who unload a weapon daily)? I don't really see the whole kung fu "hit the mag safety to disable a gun that has been taken from you" thing as anything more than fantasy. It might prevent someone from shooting themself while cleaning a gun too, but those are two scenarios in which a need for speed is not critical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links