When a Mag Safety Would Count...

This is a discussion on When a Mag Safety Would Count... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun fired during cleaning hits 2 brothers Associated Press - August 15, 2009 7:04 AM ET BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) - The Manatee County Sheriff's Office ...

Thread: When a Mag Safety Would Count...

When a Mag Safety Would Count...

Gun fired during cleaning hits 2 brothers

Associated Press - August 15, 2009 7:04 AM ET

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) - The Manatee County Sheriff's Office says two brothers were shot by the same bullet when a 9 mm pistol that 1of the siblings was cleaning discharged.

According to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, deputies say 17-year-old Logan Ashley didn't clear the chambers of the firearm he was cleaning Friday and pressed the trigger on the gun.

The bullet hit 20-year-old Randall Ashley in the leg after it passed through Logan Ashley's leg. They were both taken to a hospital.

Hmmm... a counter story to those who think a Mag safety is a waste...

2. Remove Ads

I am not a fan of magazine safeties, and maintain that some proper firearms training would be a lot more effective than a magazine safety would have been. The brother cleaning the gun obviously didn't have it pointed in a safe direction, treat the weapon as if it were loaded, and keep the finger straight and off the trigger until he was ready to fire the weapon.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Clearing a weapon before handling is a must...both visually, and manually...the most important safety is the one between your ears.

Of course, all other rules of gun safety do apply.

If I want to know that a gun is ready to be handed to someone or prepared for cleaning, I 'personally' open, clear visually, and place my finger inside to confirm what I see...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post

The only thing this counters is that idiots don't own guns.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

The mag safety may have stopped that particular neglagent careless wounding of 2 people but a person that will not make sure the gun is properly cleared to clean will later find a way to have a different neglagent discharge. Training is the right answer.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I'll bet he will never touch a gun again without clearing it first. Its a hard lesson but a lesson he'll never forget.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Got that right......

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I am not a fan of magazine safeties, and maintain that some proper firearms training would be a lot more effective than a magazine safety would have been. The brother cleaning the gun obviously didn't have it pointed in a safe direction, treat the weapon as if it were loaded, and keep the finger straight and off the trigger until he was ready to fire the weapon.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I'm of the opinion that it's merely a salve to PC conscience and ignoring the root of the problem. A magazine safety won't correct unsafe handling. And, unsafe handling is likely to get the unsafe handler at some point, no matter how many Band-Aids are put in place. Worse still, it's just as likely to harm someone else.

Had the poor yutz simply emptied the dang thing instead of attempting to clean it while loaded, he wouldn't be in the position he finds himself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It was just a matter of time,they apparently don't practice safe gun handling and it came back to bite them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    IMHO a Mag safety is great for LEOs who must as a matter of course engage BG up close and physically -- potentially losing their sidearm to one when things go south.

However, as someones signature says, "The plural of anecdote is not evidence." And I see little evidence of their need to prevent NDs and little need for most non-LEOs.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I agree... other than LEO's I don't think mag safeties solve anything...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    As I posted in the other thread, you're better off not having it because when you need a gun, you need it now. When you clean a gun, you can take several minutes to clear it ten times in a row. Then clear it again right before you pull the trigger and shoot 2 people in the leg with one magic bullet.

The trade off is risking having a useless weapon for the benefit of not having to be careful clearing your weapon (which is really no benefit at all).

Administrator
    Sorry to be Mr. Obvious again, but a gadget will never fix stupid.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Indeed, the problem here was pointing the weapon at someone whom one did not wish to destroy. A magazine safety can actually enable one to continue to practice bad behaviour, thus reinforcing the behaviour.

I would bet that Mr. Stupid, in this case, also tended to point guns WITH magazines in place, in unsafe directions, too.
    Last edited by Rexster; August 15th, 2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: clarification

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    "while cleaning the gun" - I know of no one who would clean a gun with a round in it. How the heck do you clean the dirty parts with a round in the chamber? And if it is one of those dumb designs where you have to pull the trigger to disassemble it, you drop the mag, rack the slide as many times as your magazines hold rounds, lock the action open, visually check the chamber, physically check the chamber, then point it in a safe direction to pull the trigger.

"It went off while I was cleaning it" is an excuse for negligent discharges, most likely while someone was doing something they shouldn't have.

Links