It has started.....10/22 thread

This is a discussion on It has started.....10/22 thread within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got home from Wal-Mart with my brand new 10/22, cheapest I could find one. I have looked around at the modifications and want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It has started.....10/22 thread

It has started.....10/22 thread

I just got home from Wal-Mart with my brand new 10/22, cheapest I could find one. I have looked around at the modifications and want to get started on mine. I'll do some searching and ask questions when they come up. I think I'll start with a new stock and barrel.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I just got home from Wal-Mart with my brand new 10/22, cheapest I could find one. I have looked around at the modifications and want to get started on mine. I'll do some searching and ask questions when they come up. I think I'll start with a new stock and barrel.
    That's what I done. Start with a good stock and a good bull barrel. I went with Hogue over molded stock and a Green Mountain 20" stainless bull barrel. That alone will so greatly improve the guns feel and accuracy that it will feel completely different. Next I would suggest some good trigger parts, such as Volquartsen Match hammer and spring set, Power customs extractor and firing pin and a bolt pin buffer.

There are tons more stuff to do that will make it super accurate. Using 3M masking tape as a "shim" along the sides and rear of the receiver to take up any slack between stock and the receiver will help. Mine took five layers. Proper torque of the barrel block bolts and take down screw is important as well.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

You'll enjoy that 10/22. Barrel and stock is a good place to start IMO.

So I found a really good price on a GM barrel and Hogue stock at Natchez, both in stock for $150. Then I found out they won't ship to GA? WT* is that, anyway, can someone point me to somebody that actually has them in stock and for a resonable price?

After a little more research, it appears ER Shaw barrels are just as good as GM, and cheaper, and in stock. Hope to have the barrel and stock by the end of next week.

Ruger 10 22 Rifle Barrels From Green Mountain Barrel Company
    Green Mountain Barrels Ruger 10/22
    Rimfire Sports & Custom: Green Mountain Ruger 10/22 20" .920 Bull Fluted Barrel

Back when I used credit cards nothing was much of a problem. You can find good deals on them or combos in Shotgun News usually. Can't remember where I bought mine. I used a Boyd's thumb-hole and the GM stainless fluted match chamber on my silhouette 10/22, and a Butler Creek carbon fiber barrel/Hogue rubber stock for the out and about 10/22.

Just wondering how much Walmart charges for a 10/22. The Walmarts in MN do not sell firearms. (at least the ones in the Twin Cities area). The cheapest one's around here are $198.

$207 at WM, $220 at Gander down in FL. Paid $221 after taxes.

The 10/22 is probably one of the most versatile .22 rifles out there, congrats on the good purchase, make sure you post pics of your project.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

When I bought mine I went out and got a Butler Creek barrel and stock combo and then threw in some Volquartsen goodies. Much fun for not a lot of $$$$
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Leave it alone! A 10/22 is good stock. Shoot it awhile, and if you want to screw around with it, add a scope. After it's seen a couple of thousand rounds, then you can tinker. Wait, and you will be gratified. Yoda speaks, Yoda had a 10/22. Several, in fact.

If I'm reading you right, like me you bought your 10/22 with the specific intent of customizing it. You're in for some fun. First off, sign up on RimfireCentral. Tons and tons of information. Check out their advertisers. Several stock and barrel suppliers. I think the actual receiver on mine is the only factory part still remaining. I went with a Green Mountain barrel but I hear lots of good stuff about WhistlePig barrels also. Another site of interest is Kidd Innovative Design. I have a STI trigger group (no longer made) but Kidd offers virtually the same 2-stage trigger. Absolutely amazing trigger, though I wouldn't recommend it for off-hand competition unless you crank up the pull weight some. About the only thing I can think of that was a complete waste of money (IMO) was the Volquartsen Stabilization Module. I didn't have it on long, though it is on there in this picture:

When everything goes right, these little rifles are capable of amazing accuracy. Most accurate ammunition I found for mine is Wolf Match Extra.

You're in for some great fun and great shooting.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Had the Ruger Charger pistol. Played with it a little (trigger job, barrel torque, etc). A squirrel at 30 yards was as good as grilled.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Everybody is saying "barrel and stock!" I have a 10/22 (carbine version, I believe) and I gotta say that the trigger seems to be the first thing I would worry about. Then buy a scope that is known to be well suited to a 10/22. My only scope is darn near useless on my 10/22 because it's too hard to focus at a short indoor range (50-75 feet) and the elevation has to be cranked waaaay down to get the crosshairs anywhere near POI. I'm better off with a 'red dot'.

Then move on to the stock. How good of a shooter would you have to be to need a better barrel than what Ruger gave you? If it's really such a p.o.j. then why not just buy a 10/22 receiver and start from scratch? Are those unavailable?

Maybe I'm missing something?

Got my barrel today, SS ER Shaw 18" bull. I also got my Hogue Overmold stock. While waiting for the stuff to arrive I did a large amount of reading of RFC. I have since lowered my stock trigger pull to about 3#. I ordered a BSA Panther 2.5-10X44 that will be here tomorrow (I know some folks don't like BSA but for $30 I couldn't resist). Hopefully I'll make it out to the range tomorrow to test my grouping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links