Broken Glock 22

This is a discussion on Broken Glock 22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw something tonight I never thought I would see, a broken Glock 22. I am a dispatcher at my local 911 and the local gun ...

Thread: Broken Glock 22

Broken Glock 22

Saw something tonight I never thought I would see, a broken Glock 22. I am a dispatcher at my local 911 and the local gun guy. One of the deputies asked me to look at his duty weapon. Once he cleared it and removed the slide, he pointed out the metal rear slide rail had broken off. The deputy said he was at the range the other day for qualification and heard something rattling around in the weapon. That is when he first noticed it. I told him to call Glock as soon as possible to see about repairs and that I would find something else to carry. Fortunately it was the end of his shift and he was on his way home so he was not responding to any more calls. I told him to call me tomorrow and I have several weapons he can choose from to borrow until he gets his duty weapon fixed.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    Kimber CDP fullsize Kimber CDP Ultra
    Colt Combat Commander Colt Goverment 1991
    Springfield Armory 1911-a1 Sig Sauer GSR 1911

I'm a 1911 guy.

2. Remove Ads

Theres got to be some trickery involved. Everyone knows glock dont break.

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Theres got to be some trickery involved. Everyone knows glock dont break.
    Not true...there have been several incidents of Glocks failing after four million rounds...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Listen, every machine will eventually break and everyone, even mighty Glock, occasionally makes a product that fails prematurely. I would bet a lot of dough that they take care of the problem promptly.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

There was a recall for Glock pistol frames with serial numbers starting with 'E' and were manufactured between Sept 2001 and May 2002 because of this possible issue. Apparently the engineers at Glock tried something different that wasn't for the best. It was the way the frame rails were bonded in the polymer. Glock will supply you a new frame for your pistol if the serial number meets the criteria, and the serial number on the frame alone will change and a #1 will be added to the front of the serial number. If the frame has an 'E' serial number without a #1 in front of it, then it has yet to be replaced. My G23 was an 'E' series pistol and the frame was replaced under the recall.

How do PDs and LE agencies in general handle broken pistols? I guess what Im asking is do they have an armorer or use a local private gunsmith and do they have a safe full of spare heaters like we do?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

must have been the ammo
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

EW3
    Wow, you never hear the words "broke" and "Glock" in the same sentence usually!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

How it's dealt with.......

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    How do PDs and LE agencies in general handle broken pistols? I guess what Im asking is do they have an armorer or use a local private gunsmith and do they have a safe full of spare heaters like we do?
    I worked for a small agency and at the time most officers carried 1911's that were their own personal firearms. I and a Lt. typically worked on minor repairs that took little time. If it was major, it was sent off to a gunsmith in a neighboring large city and the officer paid for repairs on personal weapons.
    The only time the Dept. supplied a replacement was if the officer was carrying a Dept. issued gun, otherwise it was his responsibility to find a replacement and qualify with it, prior to returning to duty.
    The Dept. typically had 2-3 unused guns available.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

ive only seen a few glocks breakdown in my lifetime, but man i really do appreciate your service to your community in the way of handling 911 calls (its more hectic then some think) and supplying the officer with a loaner in his time of need. your a valuable asset to your community and for that i commend you.

btw where in KY are you located if you dont mind me asking? i work in madison county here in the great commonwealth
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I had an "E" frame G23 that broke a rear rail. Glock gave me a new frame and rebuilt / replaced everything including the mag.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Links