What Are Good Groups for a .22 Rifle at 100 Yards?

This is a discussion on What Are Good Groups for a .22 Rifle at 100 Yards? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm just curious, what would you consider a good grouping with a .22 rifle at 100 yards? I went out yesterday, just having fun and ...

Thread: What Are Good Groups for a .22 Rifle at 100 Yards?

What Are Good Groups for a .22 Rifle at 100 Yards?

I'm just curious, what would you consider a good grouping with a .22 rifle at 100 yards?

I went out yesterday, just having fun and killing some time. I set a target out 125 paces and fired 20 rounds at it with my Ruger 10/22. I have a very small and cheap scope on it. I actually think it's a BB gun scope. I bought it at WalMart probably 8-10 years ago. The target was just a pain 'ol Winchester 12" bullseye style (8" black & 1" bullseye).

So at the full distance I was able to get 15 rounds in the black. Moved it up 25 paces and fired 40 rounds all in the black.

Not necessarily concerned about how I did, but mostly just curious about what you would be satisfied with. Trying to get a general concensus of what's 'good' I guess.

P.S.
    How do you count a shot that's on the line between two rings?

2. Remove Ads

On the line counts for the higher score in my book. Really for me it would depend on the type of rifle. If I went out and spent a couple grand on a competition Match grade Anschutz .22 (first high end maker I could think of), I'd expect competition grade accuracy.

But for say my Savage Semi-Auto I got from Walmart a few years back, Minute Of Coke Can or whatever I'm shooting at is perfectly fine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

How much did the rifle cost?

The very best five-shot group I ever fired at 100 yards from a bench rest with a .22 was one inch, fired from a Model 1922 Springfield. Several 1 1/4-inch to 1/1/2-inch groups have been obtained over the years but only a single one inch.

Note the exaggerated amount of elevation on the hiked up Lyman 48 rear sight. How about that nifty masking tape front sight hood? One inch groups weren't happening for me on this day when the photo was taken. The wind was stiff and gusty and the late afternoon sun was glinting badly on the front sight at the west-facing range. Something like 3-inch groups was all that could be managed before I quit in disgust.

Good quality .22 ammunition can make a difference in groupings.

in competition a shot on the line yields the value of the higher scoring ring.

2-3" groups would be good enough for me @100yds. A lot of differences here in how often you clean your barrel, whether it's a bolt action or semi-auto, and mostly relying on ammunition selection. Consider the fact that you won't have many 'perfect days' at/on the range. I've never done extensive testing with the 22lr at 100 yds off the bench since what I'm after generally is getting the rams to fall.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that on the line counts to the better score.

The rifle is a completely stock Ruger 10/22. Back when I bought it they were still under $150. I actually think I got out the door for under $150 with the background check, tax and everything. I love that gun though. My wife was asking me if my son would get that when he grows up. I told her he isn't getting that one until I die. I can see myself being an old man in a rocking chair plinking off my back porch with that gun.

Maybe I'll pick up a better scope and try to improve on those groups. I like the bench set up shown above too.

I know of some guys that heavily customized 10/22s for sportsman's team challenge competition, and those guns with their optics from the bench could shoot groups under 1" with the right ammo, just like any other quality rifle. With my off-the-shelf 10/22? I know I can put 5 rounds into 1.5" at 50 yds. but that is pushing it....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    .5 inch groups at 100 yards would be outstanding. Match gun, match ammo, controlled breathing, no wind, featherlight trigger.

Administrator
    Much depends on ammo selection.
    100 yards is where MATCH GRADE ammo can make a huge difference in group size.

A Remington MATCHMASTER will keep them all mighty close at 100.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    The diameter of a squirrel's head comes to mind.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Any time I start to sight in a .22 I get out the box with the assortment in it. I start with what the owner says he/she wants the gun to do at what yardage. I then get out what I think will be the best round (Eley/Winchester/Remington/CCI/etc.) There will always be one round the gun likes better than the rest. Clamp the rifle in a gun vise and slap a bag of shot (25 pounds) on the rest. Put three rounds through the rifle, clean the bore, mark the target, and go to the next round. This works for everything from .22 to slug guns to AR and AK clones. The only thing to remember is that you will need to shoot most weapons without the vise and weight to make sure point of impact doesn't change. Especially with the slower rounds. If the round is slow enough to be still in the barrel when recoil begins and you have the weapon confined in a manner that it will not be during regular use point of impact will be affected. If doing this for someone else the difference in your sighting position and theirs and even the difference between their quality of vision and yours will also bear on their performance versus yours. If you're not sufficiently confused at this point the short answer is at 100 yards somewhere between a single ragged hole to about a twelve inches.

Administrator
    If one of my .22's can't shoot a dime sized hole (5 shots) at 100yds, there is no room for it in my safe. Most of them can do better, but most of the time I can't.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm with SIXTO on that post. If it weren't for the van load of weights and gun vise and bench and etc. my pattern at 100 yards would be less than desireable. He's spot on with the comment. Why would you want a rifle that's capable of doing twice as good as you? If you've got one what/who you gonna blame the misses on?

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    If you break the line then the higher score is counted!
    [One Nation Under God]

Most guns outshoot my abilitys today,I'm not ashamed of it just disabilities and age,I would think a dedicated marksman can shoot minute of angle groups,off the shelf gun and average shooter like Ramrod said 2-3" groups would be good
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links