Need a spreadsheet/Record for guns

This is a discussion on Need a spreadsheet/Record for guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anybody have a spreadsheet type file for recording guns,I have acquired way too many and I need to go thru and record every gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a spreadsheet/Record for guns

Does anybody have a spreadsheet type file for recording guns,I have acquired way too many and I need to go thru and record every gun and serial number with descriptions/scope accessories etc. for theft/insurance purposes.I have at least 40 firearms to record.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you have a Quicken program the Quicken Home Inventory works pretty well for your gun inventory or if you have excel it would be easy enough to taylor a spreadsheet to your own needs. I personally keep mine in the Quicken Home Inventory.

VIP Member
    I just finished putting my guns on a simple Excel spread sheet. I noticed my wife was mighty interested to know exactly how many guns I had. Probably a waste of my time to go to that much trouble for three guns though.

Here are my categories, of course your criteria may differ.

Type- rifle, handgun, shotgun, other
    Manufacturer- Remington, Browning, etc
    Country- where manufactured
    C&R- is it a C&R gun
    Action- bolt, semi-auto, dbl bbl, revolver, etc
    Model-self explanatory
    Serial number - self explanatory
    Caliber/gauge- self explanatory
    Location- where the gun is normally stored
    New/used- did I acquire it new or used
    Notes- refers to another sheet where I might elaborate further, that it was my grandfathers gun or whatever, and any unique or historical about it, nuances or whatever.

I think it goes without saying you'd want to keep a spread sheet like this in a secure place. Available for insurance reasons, yet secure enough to maintain privacy.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have a partial list written down and saved,but over the last few months I've acquired a bunch and been too lazy to add them,not to mention the list needs to be better organised,for Insurance and In case I pass my daughter will receive a large cache of guns and needs to know approximate resell value
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Here's a flat file where you can do what you're asking and also has a lot more features. Can't beat the price - free.
    HuntingNut News Official PointBlank downloads Page

You can also keep track of load information if you reload. Also has a ballistic calculator, calculator ballistic coefficient, sectional density, recoil calculator, muzzle energy, Taylor knockout formula, and English/Metric converter.
    183 FBINA

We do something a little diferent. We take photos of each weapon, tape it to print out of all the info about it. Keep it in safe deposit box at bank.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I hand write notes with a sharpie on plain white paper with the model, make, sn or other info. Then lay the gun down beside it, and snap pics. Then pics are made of the sales slip, warranty card, manual, and any other printed data. The case (if included) and all other accessories get photo'd. Multiple pics of the gun from all angles, including all stamping or other marks. Then all the photo's for that particular gun are downloaded into a folder specific for that gun and stored on cd's. When one leaves my collection, a note describing the transaction gets a pic, added to the folder, and the folder gets moved to a "guns no longer owner" category. Guns I picked up or sold in FtoF deals have a handwritten description of the transaction photo'd and included in the appropriate folder. I still keep all the paper, but the digital pics of the paper ARE my inventory control

surv

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    We do something a little diferent. We take photos of each weapon, tape it to print out of all the info about it. Keep it in safe deposit box at bank.
    I do something similar - digital photos embedded in an Access database, stored on CD-R and flash drive in the safe, as well as another CD-R in the other firebox.

Thanks guys,I like the idea of cards with info and pics,with price

VIP Member
    You might want to try GunSafe software. It is free and has space for all the details and then some including photos.

GunSafe - Firearms Collection Software
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I also use the Excel spreadsheet and it works great. I include in mine the date acquired, price paid and date of manufacture. I also have a column for "Current Value" which helps give value to my older guns I've inherited that I keep updated every couple of years. This way is something was to happen to me, my family would have a good idea of what the value is of that particular gun. My other categories are very similar to ppkheat's listed ones. The nice thing about Excel is you can set it up any way you want to and it's fairly user friendly.

The Gunsafe site DR CMG provided is great ,once I figured out how to download and open and find it and started playing with it,you can add as many pics of each gun as you want along with info on if you ever sell it,then you can also put the info on a CD that you can store in your safe etc.

You already have a custom program. All you need is a "pivot table" to allow you to access the guns you want to see. Make sure your headings are bold or a larger font or both so the program can differentiate between data and headings. Highlight your headings. Go to the data tab. Click the Pivot table and pivot chart report. Click next. Your headings should be highlighted. Click finish. You should have a little down arrow next to each heading that, when selected, will allow you to pull up all the guns you have within the criteria in that heading. If you have manufacturer as a heading you can select "Winchester" and see all your Winchesters. If "type" is another heading you can then select "handgun" and see all your Winchester handguns. Don't forget to return the little arrows back to "all" before you close the file.

I also use an excel spread sheet. I include all of the following information and photos.

Manufacturer, Model, Caliber, Serial Number, Location purchased, Date Purchased, Purchase Price, Location Sold, Date Sold, Selling Price and a section for notes.

Photos - 4 total

Full Left Side Profile, Full Right Side Profile, Close up of Left side serial numbers and misc stamping, Close up of Right side serial numbers and misc stamping.

Cool program

Better than my software I paid for.

steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links