Shot for the first time this weekend

This is a discussion on Shot for the first time this weekend within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes, some of you may be going at someone with as many posts here never having fired a firearm before. But I finally did this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yes, some of you may be going at someone with as many posts here never having fired a firearm before. But I finally did this past weekend

I was on vacation in PA for about a week, and I took a few of my cousins with me as well. Went to Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA. Very, very friendly people... made us all feel at ease. I said it was my (and everyone else's) first time, and that was no problem at all. The gentlemen even took us to our lanes and demonstrated and explained everything.

I've been reading enough over the past year to have all the "book knowledge," but never had any actual physical handling experience with firearms. I'm glad I finally did. It was great! Everything I learned about safety and operating firearms translated very easily and well and I think my cousins had a good time too, and learned proper safety as well.

I decided it was probably good to start with a .22lr (the guys at the range/store also recommended that), so we rented a Ruger MkIII and also got a Sig P250 (9 MM). Both weapons were selected by the guy helping us. Much larger BANG than I was expecting, I have to admit. BUT, after that first shot (I shot the P250 as my first shot), I had a stupid cheesy smile on my face.

Both weapons functioned perfectly without any hangups, although i had a FTF (I think? The next round sortof fed, but not completely - the slide was partially back, and you could see that the next round was hung up in the middle of feeding from the magazine) on the P250 once, which I think was due to me limp wristing it (I could really feel myself limp wristing about two shots before the malfunction... not sure why I did that) - no fault of the weapon's. Luckily, what I learned here and elsewhere let me clear the jam quickly and safely. On the MkIII, seems like no matter what that thing just kept on ticking. I can definitely see why people love it so much, and the advantages of .22 on the range.

Also, it was crazy how fast we ran out of our box of 9mm (50 rounds). I can definitely see ammo being a huge cost haha.

All in all, great experience, and now I am no longer a gun virgin . Also, I can definitely recommend Classic Pistol to anyone for their range. I can't comment on firearm purchases since I didn't do that there. They also have shotgun and rifle lanes, and even have a few Class III weapons for rent, if you can afford it. Also, I believe they offer classes, since right behind our range was a classroom where they seemed to be teaching a basic shooting course.

sorry for the long post!

Well congrats! I thought from your post title you had been shot for the first time. I thought, well there's something new.

Unfortunately you will end up addicted to this whole guns, shooting, hunting for ammo, concealed carrying, buying more guns, and the eternal 9mm vs. .45 acp debate.

I guesss it's too late to welcome you to the forum, but I'm welcoming the new you to the forum.

Shoot often and shoot safe.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Welcome to the shooting club.
    I too thought maybe you had been
    shot from the title.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    You're one of us, now, Welcome
    And yes, that ammo thing can get kinda expensive, kinda quick,
    I took me about 20 minutes to get rid of $33.00 worth of 44 magnum ammo at the range with the new S&W Model 29 today, but when I was done I sure had a $1000.00 grin on my face
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Congrats, hope you enjoyed it!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.----George Orwell

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Isn't it fun? I remember when I first started going to the range, I'd shoot through several hundred rounds and have a huge pile of brass behind me. Practically a safety hazard. I'm glad to have a few .22s so I can still shoot without breaking the bank.

Do you own any firearms yet or still deciding what to acquire?

Well Paul it just goes to show what can happen (WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR)glad you learned a lot from the forum prior to picking up a firearm and got to blow some holes in paper,If you ever get to the Rio Grande Valley Tx. look me up I'll turn that cheesy grin into a big ole smile when I let you shoot a whole array of weapons ,ammos on me
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ah, I'll pass on typing up some shocked or snide comments. Welcome to your new expensive large grin making hobby.

Congrats.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Hey, welcome. I'm in a similar situation - I only started shooting a few years back. It's quite an experience, especially when you get started. Good luck financing it!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Congrats! The first of many great days shooting I hope. Oh and by the way that stupid cheesy smile is incurable.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

welcome to the shooting world. i see you're from Orlando, or say you are anyway. If you want to go shooting just send me a PM i'll be more than happy to take out a new shooter i offer to take people from work out all the time. Won't even have to pay a rental or range fee since i'm part of a private range, just have to pay for ammo is all.

Thats great Paul34, I think I'm proud of you.

Dont worry, I never shot anything in my life until early '07.

I cant get enough.

VIP Member
    Sounds like your another gun "junkie" in the making. Just a hint on ammo. When you see it, buy a box or 2. Won't break the budget that way and you'll build up a stockpile of ammo in time.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    I hope you have a wealth of money, your gonna have the wants and needs now!

Congrats, be safe and above all have a good time with it!
    [One Nation Under God]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links