To load or not to load.

This is a discussion on To load or not to load. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does keeping the magazine for a semi-auto pistol loaded harm it? I`ve read so many opinions,both pro and con, that my head hurts. It`s like ...

Thread: To load or not to load.

To load or not to load.

Does keeping the magazine for a semi-auto pistol loaded harm it? I`ve read so many opinions,both pro and con, that my head hurts. It`s like listening to a Ford versus Chevy argument. Do any of you have the definitive answer ? Currently,I keep my mags empty unless I`m carrying one of my semis and I keep a revolver or two loaded around the house along with the odd scattergun. I would really like an answer that comes from someone with expertise in this area. I have several mags for each handgun and I rotate them every couple of months.Your input will be greatly appreciated. Hubadub.
    My child is a Honor Student at Camp Polk Correctional Facility.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well I may not have a definitive answer, but my magazines stay loaded all the time. I went out shooting my Ruger Mark II the other day, mags have been loaded for 10 years and they fess flawlessly.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Might as well keep them loaded. It is the compressing and uncompressing of springs that fatigue them, NOT staying under compression.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I keep hearing that, "it's compressing and uncompressing the spring that causes spring failure". In other words, leaving the mag loaded is OK, but using it will cause failures.

Well, that's half right.

I collect vintage trumpets and cornets, most of them 70 to 120 years old. The valve springs in these horns are almost always original. It’s not hard to tell. No one would replace the springs without also replacing the felt and cork spacers, and the spacers in these horns are generally badly beat up.

Anyone who’s played a brass instrument will tell you that valve springs get compressed and uncompressed thousands of times during a rehearsal or concert. Hell, most trumpet players will run the valves a few dozen times during an 8 bar rest! The springs in my old horns must have been compressed and uncompressed hundreds of thousands of times. Maybe millions. Some of the horns were used by professional musicians, judging by the valve wear. It takes many years of hard use to wear out a set of valves, but it takes much more to wear out the springs.

I leave my carry mags loaded. The only time they’re unloaded is when they’re cleaned, maybe twice a year.
    John
    Cape Canaveral

Does keeping the magazine for a semi-auto pistol loaded harm it? I`ve read so many opinions,both pro and con, that my head hurts.
    Lord knows there have been plenty of threads here about the same thing. I'm almost sure you're going to get an earful now, but my reply is intended to calm your worries. I'll just leave my opinions out of it (since I know you'll have enough to deal with later) and you can start here: Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

Thanks people, you were a great help.
    My child is a Honor Student at Camp Polk Correctional Facility.

Links