Recall: Remington 17 HMR Rifles & Ammo

This is a discussion on Recall: Remington 17 HMR Rifles & Ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those who may have this rifle or ammo: Remington Issues 17 HMR Ammo Recall Hoss...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For those who may have this rifle or ammo:
    Remington Issues 17 HMR Ammo Recall

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks for the heads up.

Yes...thanks for the info. I've emailed the link to a couple of friends this would pertain to.

Remington has been notified by its supplier of 17 HMR ammunition that 17 HMR ammunition is not suitable for use in semi-automatic firearms. The use of this ammunition in a semi-automatic firearm could result in property damage or serious personal injury.

If you have a semi-automatic firearm chambered for 17 HMR ammunition, immediately discontinue use of Remington 17 HMR ammunition. If you have any Remington 17 HMR ammunition that you wish to return to Remington contact the Remington Consumer Service number below. Do not return the ammunition to the dealer. (it continues from there).

looks like to advise a friend of mine of what the deal is.

So, they designed a cartridge, built rifles for that cartridge and now claim that the rifle can't safely shoot the cartridge?

What am I missing here?

My guess would be, issues with the bolt setting off the rimfire round before its in battery... and this must be related to the shape of the case... .22 auto loaders have been around for ever...I own a Savage .17HMR bolt action, It is by far one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot at 100 yards. I can put a whole clip into one hole...For fun I shoot marbles and paintballs with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    So, they designed a cartridge, built rifles for that cartridge and now claim that the rifle can't safely shoot the cartridge?

What am I missing here?
    Semi-auto. Bold-action rifles aren't listed as the problem. Semi-auto rifles are.

Though, that write-up doesn't specify the engineering concern, as in what is it that semi-auto does to those rounds that causes risk of damage or injury? Unspecified, so far as I've found (in a quick rooting around the internet).

Shape of the case, possibly (as suggested above)? It might feed too quickly for the shoulder angle to accommodate, in a semi-auto mode? Who knows.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I have Remington 597 semi-auto in .17HMR, but I don't use Remington ammo....I use a Nosler ballistic tip round....It's devastating on crows & varmints!

Thanks for the heads up, it looks like it may not be limited just to the Remington ammo.........I'll be watching this to see how it goes, I really like the rifle & would hate to not be able to use it.

....In light of the ammunition manufacturer’s notice, it is very important that you immediately stop using your Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle. If you own a Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle and wish to return it to Remington, please contact the below Remington Consumer Service Number.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I don't know any more of the particulars about the recall other than what was contained in the release I linked to above. I will relay this, though. I called a friend of mine who is a FFL holder to let him know about the recall in case he remembered anyone that he might have sold one to. He was telling me how he had actually seen on of the rifles blow up. He does not remember what brand of ammo was being used but he does remember it was a Remington auto-loader and as far as I know, the 597 is the only one they've ever offered in 17 HMR. Anyway, my friend was standing by the passenger door of a truck while the guy who owned it was standing in the front of the truck target shooting. This happened on the pull of the trigger, not while chambering the round. He heard a loud bang and a then a noise as something hit the truck. He went to the young man shooting the rifle to find him bleeding from a gash under his right eye and the rear of the receiver of the rifle had been blown off. The sound he heard hitting the truck was a large chunk of the receiver hitting the windshield of the truck and breaking it. He said he didn't inspect the gun closely as they were concerned more about getting the young man medical attention so he isn't sure if the cartridge actually blew up or if on recoil, the rear of the receiver just gave way to the force. He said the shooter sent the rifle back to Remington, but he was unsure of the action taken by Remington.

The bottom line is, if you have a Remington 597 in 17HMR, even if you don't use Remington ammo, I would give Remington customer service a call and see what they have to say about the safety of continued use of the rifle.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Wow, makes me glad mine is a Savage bolt action and I use Hornady ammo.
    I love that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Wow, makes me glad mine is a Savage bolt action and I use Hornady ammo.
    Does anyone know what the actual reason is behind the recall?

Consider the problem of using spire-point bullets in a lever-action rifle with a tube-fed magazine. The problem is with the design of the bullet being incompatible with the feeding mechanism when a tube mag is involved.

What if the problem with the rounds is in the round itself. Couldn't the problem then apply to other rifles, not just the Rem 597?

Hard to know for certain until the cause of the recall is known.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Does anyone know what the actual reason is behind the recall?

Consider the problem of using spire-point bullets in a lever-action rifle with a tube-fed magazine. The problem is with the design of the bullet being incompatible with the feeding mechanism when a tube mag is involved.

What if the problem with the rounds is in the round itself. Couldn't the problem then apply to other rifles, not just the Rem 597?

Hard to know for certain until the cause of the recall is known.
    +1.....Definitely need more info.

The 597 has a removable magazine, so no 'tube' issues. Plus the .17HMR is a rim-fire case. It's a necked down .22magnum.

If I had to guess......it could be one of two things.

1)It might be the round is breaking up or fragmenting in the barrel. Then the back pressure could cause the failures. You wouldn't think the pressure would be that great since it is a rim-fire case & there isn't that much powder in it......

2)Possibly the bullet is being knocked or bent partially out of the case as it chambered.

I also have been using the Hornady rounds & they are very accurate for a rim-fire & they are really effective on small stuff. I tried them on a gallon jug of water to see their effect & it's impressive. The round disintegrates & turns to power, with the jacket leaving the biggest pieces to remain....& those pieces are tiny.

Even if it turns out I can't use the 597, I will get a bolt-gun for that caliber!
    Last edited by goawayfarm; August 22nd, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

This is what's posted on the Remington Web Site:
    PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING
    AND RECALL NOTICE

17 HMR AMMUNITION AND MODEL 597® HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC

DO NOT USE REMINGTON 17 HMR AMMUNITION IN SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARMS.

DO NOT USE THE REMINGTON MODEL 597 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE.

Remington has been notified by its supplier of 17 HMR ammunition that 17 HMR ammunition is not suitable for use in semi-automatic firearms. The use of this ammunition in a semi-automatic firearm could result in property damage or serious personal injury.

If you have a semi-automatic firearm chambered for 17 HMR ammunition, immediately discontinue use of Remington 17 HMR ammunition. If you have any Remington 17 HMR ammunition that you wish to return to Remington contact the Remington Consumer Service number below. Do not return the ammunition to the dealer. Remington will provide you with a $10.00 coupon for each complete box of 50 rounds of Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition you return to Remington. This coupon will be good for the purchase of any Remington ammunition at your local dealer.

In light of the ammunition manufacturer’s notice, it is very important that you immediately stop using your Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle. If you own a Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle and wish to return it to Remington please contact the below Remington Consumer Service Number. In return for your Remington Model 597 17 HMR synthetic stock semi-automatic rifle, Remington will provide you a coupon valued at $200.00 good for the purchase of a replacement Remington firearm. If you have a laminate stock Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle, Remington will provide you a coupon valued at $250.00 good for the purchase of a replacement Remington firearm. Remington will also reimburse you for the actual postage to return your Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle to Remington.

Please allow up to 6 weeks after Remington receives your Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle or your Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition for the appropriate coupons to arrive. Instructions for redemption of the coupons will be contained on the coupon.

For any consumer questions or instructions on how to return of your Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle or your Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition, please contact the Remington Consumer Service Department at 1-800-243-9700, Prompt #3.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Safety First
    Always observe the ten commandments of safe gun handling and wear approved eye and ear protection anytime you are shooting.
    The emphasis is mine. I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds almost as if they are saying that 17HMR is not safe in any semi-auto firearm. I can't really tell from the information given if it's only their ammo or all ammo that isn't safe in a semi but I'm guessing that it's any ammo in any semi and that's why their doing a buy-back on their only 17HMR semi, the 597. If anyone owns any brand of 17HRM semi-auto, it could be worth calling them to get more details.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Out of town at the moment, but when I get back I'm going to call Remington to find out.....I would really hate to only get $200 bucks for the gun that I paid MORE for!

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    ... it sounds almost as if they are saying that 17HMR is not safe in any semi-auto firearm.
    Agreed that while the warning is issued, they fail to specify the cause. They state the ammo should not be used, but they merely imply the ammo's the cause. In which case, ALL firing of .17HMR would be suspect and risky. Though, they are specifically indicating Remington .17HMR ammo. No other manufacturer of ammo seems to be talking about recalls, from what I can find so far (unless I've missed it). Hard to tell, at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links