CC handgun recommendations

This is a discussion on CC handgun recommendations within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let me start out by saying, I'm an old fart who grew up with Colt's 1911. I have had a CCW in Ohio for 6 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC handgun recommendations

CC handgun recommendations

Let me start out by saying, I'm an old fart who grew up with Colt's 1911. I have had a CCW in Ohio for 6 years. I have been carrying a Colt 1903 in .32 ACP, or a Colt Commander in 45 ACP.
    I am concerned that the 32ACP doesn't have much (if any) stopping power. The Commander is heavy to carry all day.
    My wife, also has a CCW, carries a Bersa Thunder in .380.
    Ammunition for most is hard to find. The .380 is near impossible to find.
    I have a chance to purchase a Walther P38, in 9mm. Although I have never been enthralled with the 9mm cartridge (small fast vs large slow...........you know the argument). I would like some recommendations.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Possibly the best suggestion you can get is see if there is a place near you where you can try out a variety of different models, and see if one of them "speaks" to you. But, I'm sure you'll find there will be no shortage of recommendations.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I am just not a fan of 9mm semi autos. I find most are to lightweight and prone to muzzle flip. Personally I'll take a S&W J-frame over a bottom feeder anyday.
    Go rent and shoot a J-frame revolver, you may become a "wheelie" like me
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

While I may question your choice of gun (I've never been enthused about the design of the P38, especially for a CC gun) I wouldn't worry too much about the 9mm cartridge. With modern ammunition, the 9mm is a very respectable self defense cartridge.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If you want to stick with the .45 acp, but don't want the weight of the 1911 try the poly frame guns. Glocks, XD's, M&P's ones like that.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

All I carry are 9MMs ,but thats just what works for me .
    If you like big ,slow bullets, that cool too .
    Its hard to go wrong with a .45
    Try a Glock G36 or G30 , you may like "The Dark Side"
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Nothing wrong with a 9mm for CC, although i'd think that if a commander sized 1911 gets too heavy to carry, wouldn't the P38 be even heavier? It's a full size, all steel handgun after all.(going from memory, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I would think you'd be better off with a compact or subcompact polymer pistol if weight was a deciding factor. Glock, XD, M&P, H&K, etc...
    There would also be the advantage of larger magazine capacity with those as opposed to the 8 in the Walther as well.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I have a P-38 and wouldn't think twice about carrying it over a Colt Commander. I can see no advantages in the P-38 over the Commander.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have both a 1911 and a Walther P38 ac45 that was made in the winter
    of 1945.The pistol in incredible shape as it was brought back to the US by
    three Greek resistance fighters who set up a candy shop that my father worked in.They had three and they told him to take one.He got holster,magazines.
    As far as 9mm for ccw it's hard to walk away from a glock 17,or 26 that holds 18 rounds.I carried my 45 pistols alot more before I had a neck fusion on levels as it sapped all my sterned from my arms and hands.I have a s&w 45
    99 as thats an awesome pistol with the best trigger i've come across.Since my
    neck issues I find myself shooting my Ruger 357 security - six that in stainless,
    I also have an old bulldog 44 spl Charter House circa 1970

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Ah, the endless possibilities.

I think you owe it to yourself to try an XD. I carry one in 9 sc and love it. No muzzle flip issues, great carry gun and FUN to shoot.

+1 on he J frame suggestion as well.

By the way, those Colt 1903 are great little guns (although I agree that .32 is a little underpowered for defensive purposes). My grandfather had one as his issue gun back in the day as an LAPD cop. Now my Dad takes care of it.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Aidedegramps View Post
    The Commander is heavy to carry all day.
    Are you using a good quality belt and holster? If you are, maybe a lightweight Commander would be more comfortable.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I second the notion of a XD9sc. 13+1 of 9mm in a very concealable size, with a great trigger for a striker-fired, polymer frame gun.

It may one I have to get soon.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I would think the Walther P38 is more of a historical show piece and maybe a range gun than a concealed carry gun. I haven't seen many holsters available for it, but then again I haven't really looked for a holster for that gun. With that in mind, if you want to go 9mm, there are tons of choices. I can throw out my favorite CC 9mm which is the Glock 19, but not everyone can warm up to Glocks. The XD series is also fantastic, and there are tons of other guns too. My suggestion is to go out to a range that rents guns and see what they have for you to try.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Recommendations

In general, P38s have a poor reputation for quality and accuracy. Many of them were mass produced by the Germans during WW2 without much care to fit and finish. I don't know anything about the particular one you are looking at, but in general I wouldn't rate a P38 as a good carry gun.

You didn't mention if your Colt Commander is all steel or aluminum frame. Assuming it is all steel, it would weigh about 36 ounces empty and more when loaded, so I can believe that it becomes a heavy load by the end of the day. It is a thin gun, however, which helps in concealment.

But since you mentioned weight as a consideration and seem willing to go with 9mm, how about a compact 9mm with either aluminum or polymer frame? The best brands are very reliable, feed hollowpoints well, and have good accuracy. I would suggest:

1. Glock 19 - polymer, 22 ounces, 15+1 capacity.
    2. Sig P239 - metal, 27 ounces, 8+1 capacity.
    3. S&W 3913 - metal, 25 ounces, 8+1 capacity.
    4. Walther P99 - polymer, 25 ounces, 15+1 capacity.
    5. Kahr P9 - polymer, 18 ounces, 7+1 capacity.
    6. CZ 75-P01 - metal, 27 ounces, 14+1 capacity.

Here is a Lunde photo of the CZ 75-P01 wearing wood grip panels:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

cmb
    A Lightweight 1911 knocks off about 8 ounces, you could drop to a 4" barrel. You've probably thought of this. Could go Glock 30/36, I would prefer the 30. Might even consider the 3" 1911 though I wouldn't. The Revolver may be the weigh to go but they do weigh near a lightweight (pun intended). I have a LW SA 1911 and love it, while my small 9mm kinda disappears, I know I have the 1911, but that is ok, still concealable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links