Transport through Canada

Transport through Canada

This is a discussion on Transport through Canada within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, I will be traveling from NY state to Michigan on a road trip this fall. My planned route will bring me through Canada. ...

Thread: Transport through Canada

Transport through Canada

Hello all,
    I will be traveling from NY state to Michigan on a road trip this fall. My planned route will bring me through Canada. Does Canada have any provisions to transport a firearm (Pistol) while passing through?

I figure Somebody here will know the answer.

Senior Moderator
    In short - no.

http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    If you are attending a match, and and are willing to do the paperwork, yes.

Otherwise, nyet comrade!!

Visitors / Non-Residents
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Crossing into another country with a firearm???????
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Well it was worth a shot...:) No pun intended..

Thankyou for your complete and quick response.

Went into Canada this year. At the border the guard will ask
    if you have any type of weapon including firearms, knives,
    and pepper spray. If you answer yes they will "hold" your items
    for you. Think you have to fill out some paperwork and maybe even
    pay for them to hold items for you. If you have a carry permit the guard
    will ask you about that too as it shows up on the computer when your passport
    is scanned. I told the border guard I didnt have any weapons and he said "well you do have a carry permit dont you"? Why didnt you bring your gun? I said well I am just on family vacation so didnt think I would need it. Lets just say I
    am glad he didnt search the car. They will also ask you and everyone in the car
    if you own firearms and for what purpose do you own them. I answered for hunting and collecting. I stayed calm while answering the questions calmly and
    of course looking straight at him the whole time while answering the questions.
    They were a lot faster and easier on the way back into U.S. just asked what we did while in Canada.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    On a slightly related note... If I were to drive to Alaska for some hunting would I have to have my guns mailed to an adress up there so that I could use them during my trip?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    On a slightly related note... If I were to drive to Alaska for some hunting would I have to have my guns mailed to an adress up there so that I could use them during my trip?
    Check the link I inserted a few posts ago.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    You won't believe this, but if you plan on making this trip a regular occurrence, here's what you have to do.

1. Sign up for two courses given in Canada: the first one is for non-restricted long guns. The second is for restricted guns including handguns. Take a written and practical exam for each.

2. If you pass the tests, you wait for the government to figure out that you passed them. Then, fill out an application for your Possession and Acquisition Licence. Get references. Get your spouse or significant other to give you their permission in writing. The government will probably telephone them to be sure that they didn't sign under duress. The application asks you all sorts of personal info. Bankrupt recently? Depressed? Submit a photo.

3. If you pass that, you must wait a long time to get your licence. Now you can buy a gun, but you can't use it. And you have to get government authorization to transport it from the gun store to your residence--all locked up.

4. Join a gun range. Take another course. Do a series of probationary shoots. If you pass this, the range applies for your authorization to transport your handgun to the range. Unloaded. Locked and case locked.

5. Now, call the government and get another Authorization to transport, this time from border crossing to border crossing.

(In my case, it's residence to border crossing "ATT".)

Otherwise, forget about a handgun in Canada.

As an American residing in Canada, that's what I had to do.

I posted this only to remind us to fight any further government intrusion into our 2A rights. Canada is only slightly worse than NJ, MD, and a few other places.

And since Canadian guns (only of the law-abiding) are registered, confiscation will be easy.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

Yes, you may transit through Canada with a long gun or a 'restricted' handgun.

A restricted handgun has a barrel length greater than 105 mm / 4.1 inches and can not be a .25 or .32 caliber. Rifles and shotgun have to have a barrel length of 457 mm (about 18 inches) to less than 660 mm (about 26 inches). Restricted Firearms

You must store, display and transport your firearms according to the regulations applying to restricted firearms. Storing, Transporting and Displaying Firearms

'Prohibited' handguns are not allowed entry into Canada. Prohibited Firearms

Any undeclared weapons will be confiscated and the person(s) detained.

To transit through Canada, visitors must complete a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration AND pay a $25 CAD fee. Form CAFC 909

The Non-Resident Firearm Declaration form should be filled out prior to arrival at the point of entry, in order to save time. However, it should not be signed before arriving at the entry point, as a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) customs officer must witness the signature.

Once the declaration has been confirmed by the CBSA customs officer, it acts as a licence for the owner and as a temporary registration certificate for the firearms brought to Canada; and it is valid for 60 days. The declaration can be renewed for free, providing it is renewed before it expires, by contacting the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) (call 1-800-731-4000) of the relevant province or territory.

A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is valid only for the person who signs it and only for those firearms listed on the declaration.

Sponsored Links