how to carry/not to carry?

This is a discussion on how to carry/not to carry? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; is it 'ok' to carry a gun around by the trigger guard, with one finger? seen at range today, didn't think it looked right, thought ...

Thread: how to carry/not to carry?

is it 'ok' to carry a gun around by the trigger guard, with one finger? seen at range today, didn't think it looked right, thought I'd ask you experts.
    ie Stick out your index finger. shove the gun on your finger, using the trigger guard as an eyelet. let it hang there while you carry things back to your table.

Seems to violate one of our rules.....in an unusual way.

well thats a bad habit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    is it 'ok' to carry a gun around by the trigger guard, with one finger? seen at range today, didn't think it looked right, thought I'd ask you experts.
    ie Stick out your index finger. shove the gun on your finger, using the trigger guard as an eyelet. let it hang there while you carry things back to your table.

Seems to violate one of our rules.....in an unusual way.
    The short answer is nope. Keep your fingers away from the trigger unless your ready to shoot.

About the time you get a little too sloppy with a gun is when it will get you.

I guess it breaks two rules, muzzle direction awareness too.
    Thanks
    I usually have it holstered, but when I have to carry it among people, it is unloaded and I point it down to the ground at my side with my t. finger straight out. Sound acceptable or is there a better way?

That's what they make pistol cases with carry handles for!

If you can't carry it on your person in a holster, and you have an arm full of stuff for the range, put it in a pistol case and carry it properly!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Some ranges mandate pointing weapons muzzle-up when carrying them, and most handguns would tend to hang more-or-less muzzle-up that way, but whether the range has a rule about fingers inside trigger guards or not, it is simply unwise to stick your finger in there unless shooting is one's imminent intention.

I have met older shooters who believe that it is OK to have the finger inside the trigger guard, if the finger is pressing against the inside of the front portion of the trigger guard. While this may be safe enough most of the time, I am concerned about sympathetic muscle contraction and other such events that, while rare, have caused folks to unintentionally discharge firearms.

People like that are a reason to pack it up early and get out alive.

Administrator
    Well, with a revolver if you have the cylinder cracked open and the chambers are empty then carry it that way or however else you want to carry it. Technically....it's safe.
    Actually & thinking about it if you want to carry a revolver that way & the cylinder is cracked open then you can safely carry it that way with a finger in the trigger guard but, you're probably going to be dropping cartridges on the ground. That is quite dumb.

Either way...it's really kinda dumb. Technically it's safe (as is any wheelgun with the cylinder open) but, totally unnecessary.

With a semi-auto if the magazine is out and the slide is locked back and you have verified an empty barrel chamber then technically it can safely be carried balanced on top of your head if that is how you want to transport it.

I'll stick with proper firearm handling procedure.
    Doing that has kept me safe (as well as the innocent folks around me) viable, breathing and alive for many years.
    So I'll stay with what I have learned from early on until today.

What is technically possible to do and what are good, time tested and "proved safe" firearm handling methods/habits to mentally ingrain and always practice are two entirely different things.

Sounds very unsafe to me.
    Last edited by TWO GUNS; August 23rd, 2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added a s
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Finger out of the trigger guard unless firing, end of story. I don't care what you're carrying or where you are or what level of experience you have.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Finger out of the trigger guard unless firing, end of story. I don't care what you're carrying or where you are or what level of experience you have.
    , just try that at the range I normally shoot at, and the RSO will be telling you in no uncertain terms that any firearms on the range must be pointed downrange, in a holster or in a gun case, that is if I don't tell you first
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Exactly, what was the RO doing while this was going on?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Always follow the rules...always!
    Carrying a firearm by the trigger guard is dangerous, a bad example, and a bad habit...don't do it. OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    , just try that at the range I normally shoot at, and the RSO will be telling you in no uncertain terms that any firearms on the range must be pointed downrange, in a holster or in a gun case, that is if I don't tell you first
    Ditto....Its either in a case, or pointed down range...No grey area! just the way I like it!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Sponsored Links