Using sights

Using sights

This is a discussion on Using sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may sound like a stupid question and I am searching the internet too. I have shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds through my ...

Thread: Using sights

Question Using sights

This may sound like a stupid question and I am searching the internet too. I have shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds through my P-11 and the Rossi .357 that I owned before that. I point shot with the pistol at shoulder height instead of looking at the sights probably 80% of the time. Now I am trying to use the sights. I am lining up the sights on my target and hitting it well. The problem it from what I am reading I am supposed to be looking at my front sight, but I am not. I am looking at my target. My target is a "person" target set up at 12-20 feet away. My thought was that I am supposed to keep my eyes focused on the person while aligning my sights instead of letting the person get out of focud to look at my front sight. Please someone enlighten me.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can elaborate. But at 7 yards and under, once you become familiar with a weapon and how it shoots, putting rounds on target at that range without consciously checking the sights can happen, it depends on training and experience.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can elaborate. But at 7 yards and under, once you become familiar with a weapon and how it shoots, putting rounds on target at that range without consciously checking the sights can happen, it depends on training and experience.
    That is where the shorter distance is coming in. When I got my CPL our firearm training was to NOT use the sight at all. Just point shoot center of mass at 12-15 feet I believe. I used my snub nose .357 for the course. I have found resources today on other sights showing pictures of a proper sight picture of a humanoid target. It shows the front sight in focus and the rest out of focus. A military manual says to acquire target in focus the focus on front sight and shoot. So just before shooting the front sight is in focus. I need to get out to the range.

Found it, crud

Then, (and this is challenging when you are a new shooter) focus only on the front sight with your eyes while keeping the sight on the target.
    This goes against everything in your mind and reflexes that tells you to focus on the target.
    But focus only on the front sight. This means that the front sight will come sharply into focus, with the rear sight and even the target blurring to the vision. Keep your eye(s) on the front sight throughout each shot and try not to look at the target between each shot (again very challenging and something I have not completely mastered yet). For help in mastering this, try to use some reactive targets sometimes when practicing. Reactive targets are anything that splatter, burst, break, make noise or fall over. Practicing with these type targets gives you the visual while keeping your eyes focused on the front sight moving it from target to target.

I'll agree with chains1240. Front sight in focus on the target. There was a NYC police officer whose name I can't remember this early, but he was involved in a lot of felony stakeouts. He was asked about his sight picture at these times and he said,"My front sight has 13 striations." I guess we know what his focus was.

I agree with front sight focus.In a gun eight you do not have the time to try to line up every thing.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    Then, (and this is challenging when you are a new shooter) focus only on the front sight with your eyes while keeping the sight on the target.
    This goes against everything in your mind and reflexes that tells you to focus on the target.
    But focus only on the front sight. This means that the front sight will come sharply into focus, with the rear sight and even the target blurring to the vision. Keep your eye(s) on the front sight throughout each shot and try not to look at the target between each shot
    That's the way I learned when I fired on a pistol team while in the Army. All our matches were "bullseye" shooting at 25 and 50 yards using .22, centerfire (.38), and .45 calibers. I have to say it's always worked for me.

Later in life I've had a problem remembering to keep both eyes open when using red dot sights, so habits form when you learn!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distance from target plays an important role here, as well as shooter's experience.

Quick answer to your question, you may have more room for the fudge factor if you use sights, than relying on good hand-eye coordination.

(Long dribble part below)
    This is all subjective, and I'm sure someone else could chime in better here but from my experience at 12-20 feet you can deliver really good (and quick) shots center mass just by getting what they call a flash sight picture. Basically, your vision is focused on your target and as the gun comes up to full extension into your line of sight, you get a brief superimposed view of your front sight. As long as the front sight is "somewhere" in the rear sight notch, and you press the trigger straight to the rear you should get combat accurate hits. Where it gets dicey (at least for me) is after 20 feet, I will make more of an effort to align my sights, of course YMMV. From arms distance to 10 feet I honestly dont even use sights, I rely on my muscle memory and natural point of aim.

I read somewhere in one of Mas Ayoob's books that instinctually a human will focus on a threat in front of them and get a bit of da ole' tunnel vision.

As with always, if you would like to try working with a flash sight picture, practice slowly and gradually begin building speed. Doing everything consistently is the key: Consistent grip, draw, placement of support hand, extension, acquirement of front sight, touch and press trigger. After lots of practice and a couple thousand rounds (not kidding), you begin to notice things like you begin to acquire your front sight a lot sooner, as it comes into you peripheral vision and as the round goes off, you find yourself "tracking" your front sight through the recoil until it comes back to rest (center of mass hopefully) ready for the next press of the trigger.

Good luck

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    These printable targets are great for front sight practice.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ure-target.pdf

Start at a range of 7 feet and fire as fast as you range will allow, draw from holster, if your range permits.
    I've been using them for about 6 months now and hit 10 for 10 three times today at 21 feet with a 44 magnum with a 4 " barrel firing 44 spl loads.
    Great practice and you can print them for free. I like to back mine with a piece of thin cardboard to keep them from flapping around while shooting.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Links