Model 1 Sales AR-15 kit

Model 1 Sales AR-15 kit

This is a discussion on Model 1 Sales AR-15 kit within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last October I got in on a group purchase for Double Star lowers and later bought a Model 1 Sales standard A2 rifle kit 5.56/.223, ...

Thread: Model 1 Sales AR-15 kit

Model 1 Sales AR-15 kit

Last October I got in on a group purchase for Double Star lowers and later bought a Model 1 Sales standard A2 rifle kit 5.56/.223, 20". The only thing extra was the 1-8 SS barrel. Hogue pistol grip and bayonet came later. Anyway after buying ammo one box at a time from WW when available I was finally ready to take ur out.

Wife and I drove up to my daughters house in Winston, Montana and my son-in-law and grandsons and I went up into the hills to shoot.

I was shooting Federal 223 Rem. 55 grain FMJ. Left the Remington ammo home after hearing of two new AR's damaged from it on this forum, just didn't want to take that chance.

So I loaded up two P-mags 30 rounders and started shooting. Without ever sighting in the sights it was shooting damn accurate, I couldn't believe it, no adjustments and it didn't have one malfunction in 500 rounds with everybody trying it. My son-in-law set up a milk jug about 100 yards out for a target not telling me it was filled with oxy acetylene. Talk about interactive target BOOOOOOOM! scared the crap out of me.

I am very pleased with the model 1 sales kit I purchased and the Double Star lower. While putting it together only had one problem, the front take down detent pin and spring is a to put in, I had to buy new pins and springs these little suckers can fly. Turns out either the spring was too long or the hole not deep enough, I'm thinking the later, since most lower kits are the same and the rear take down works fine(same part #), anyway I shortened the spring a little.

All in all this is a great rifle, total cost was just over $600 including mags, grip, and bayonet. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like you got yourself a winner there, now where are the pics? Not a bad price either, even with some elbow grease included
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My first build was a 16" CAR Model 1 Sales kit. Very happy with it.

I used two Model 1 uppers for builds and they are great.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

For you next build, a .25 inch cotter pin works well for the front spring. Put the pin through the takedown hole. Insert the spring through the hole and the detent next, then turn a quarter turn to hold the stuff inside. Take the front pivot pin and push right to left. You push out the cotter pin and the detent snaps into the relief of the pivot pin.

Brownells also sells a tool for $15 which does the same thing, but you can just go to Ace or Lowe's and get a quarter inch pin. Oh, and if you guys ever need spare pins, the local hardware store should have the roll pins and detents in stock. They are nothing special.

When I ran the DS group buy last fall, I took a reveiver and made a machine gun. Empties a 30rd magazine in 1.8 seconds.

07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I have a Model 1 Upper for my rifle, no complaints.

Back in March I ordered a kit for my wife's rifle (got a stripped lower at a show), still haven't received it.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    For you next build, a .25 inch cotter pin works well for the front spring. Put the pin through the takedown hole. Insert the spring through the hole and the detent next, then turn a quarter turn to hold the stuff inside. Take the front pivot pin and push right to left. You push out the cotter pin and the detent snaps into the relief of the pivot pin.

Brownells also sells a tool for $15 which does the same thing, but you can just go to Ace or Lowe's and get a quarter inch pin. Oh, and if you guys ever need spare pins, the local hardware store should have the roll pins and detents in stock. They are nothing special.

When I ran the DS group buy last fall, I took a reveiver and made a machine gun. Empties a 30rd magazine in 1.8 seconds.

Hey Tubby45 did you have problems with the spring being too long? I also bought the tool with the new pins $5@model 1, but it wouldn't work until I trimmed the spring, it was just too long for the hole.

Tubby45, Thanks again for the group buy.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

My springs were the correct length. I normally use Anvil Arms LPKs for all my guns.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I always trim the front detent spring back just enough to start the detent in the hole then just push in with the detent pin
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

[QUOTE=PatrioticRick;1273068]I was shooting Federal 223 Rem. 55 grain FMJ. Left the Remington ammo home after hearing of two new AR's damaged from it on this forum, just didn't want to take that chance.

Whats this about Remington ammo? thats what ive been shooting through my AR15 upper from model1sales.. Havent heard this before I know it shoots loose in my 5.56 upper but thats all ive seen.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

my model 1 sales 16" stainless barrel varmint upper shoots sub MOA consistently. It can probably do even better if I tweak the load and was a better shot.

[QUOTE=TomEgun;1273647]
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    I was shooting Federal 223 Rem. 55 grain FMJ. Left the Remington ammo home after hearing of two new AR's damaged from it on this forum, just didn't want to take that chance.

Whats this about Remington ammo? thats what ive been shooting through my AR15 upper from model1sales.. Havent heard this before I know it shoots loose in my 5.56 upper but thats all ive seen.
    Here is one: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...remington+.223
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Here are some pics
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I've got a Model ! upper on a Bushy lower. Never had a problem and it shoots very accurately.
    With my handloads, my 100 yd groups run 1" - 1 1/4".
    John
    Cape Canaveral

Sponsored Links