Wives and guns

Wives and guns

This is a discussion on Wives and guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a wife that is not a real gun nut like myself. She doesnt like to shoot, but she respects guns and is not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wives and guns

Wives and guns

I have a wife that is not a real gun nut like myself. She doesnt like to shoot, but she respects guns and is not afraid of them. She actually hasnt shot one in years. Sometimes when Im out-of-town and leave the wife at home I like to let her know where my Glock 23 is stored just in case she needs it. My question is should I leave a loaded gun for someone who is not familiar with useing it? She knows all she has to do is point and pull the trigger and would not pick it up unless someone was breaking into the house. Or should I just leave her safety to the local sheriff who are 15 minutes away?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

The real question is "Does she have the will to use it if need be?" If she is somewhat familiar with the gun and has the will to use it to defend herself (and/or other occupants of the house), it should be available to her. If she wouldn't touch it no matter the situation, you should lock it up so it can't be used against her.

Leave the Glock for her to protect herself. She's now afraid of it, and if someone comes into the house, she only has to point and shoot.
    I probably would want to take her to the range or out the back door (if possible) and let her shoot a few rounds...at the very minimum. She needs to know what sound and 'kick' to expect.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I would leave her the gun, If she would use it. My wife is not into shooting like I am, but she knows how to handle and function every firearm I own. She is also a pretty good shot even though she doesn't shoot but once or twice year. I have no doubt that if she needed it, she would be fine. That being said, I would leave her a shotgun, as her primary, if I wasn't around.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I would leave her a gun too. As others have said
    get her practicing some more and you two have fun
    while practicing together.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Hubby and I each have our own safe, one on my side of the bed one on his, same combination on both. If one of use needs to use one we get to the safe we can reach first. The last one in my safe he would grab would be the Model 29, the last one in his safe I would grab is his Glock. We have both shot each others firearms and are familar with the operation of all of them. That said we each have our preferences, he would go for the bottom feeders, I'd grab one of the revolvers first. If either one of us needs to defend ourselves or one another we each know which gun we shoot best and thats where we would start.
    Try to get her to practice with it, even if it's just occasionally. If she needs it to defend herself, she may not think as clearly, make sure she is familar with it and the operation.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Get your wife familiar with what you leave her for self protection. Let her know you really care by taking her to the range and trying it out. If she's not comfortable (with what you want to leave her for self protection), then maybe you ought to try something else for her and for you. After all, you want some peace of mind as well as knowing she can take care of herself......right? Nobody needs to be a "gun nut" to be willing and able to survive. Plain and simple. You and I carry a pistol often with the intent that we will survive the day no matter what comes our way. We are different in so many ways as to how we go about choosing how we do it and what with. Marriage is a partnership...in other words, you both have common goals. Top of the list should be that you both survive day after day until the next time you hold each other and know that independently each of you want to see that next day. Tell her why you are doing these things she may not understand or be familiar with. Because you love her.

My wife is scared to death of guns. But the day somebody was banging like crazy on the front door of our new house she went running for my shotgun. Moral of the story. Make sure they know how to safely use them because one day they might have to.
    "Veritas Principium Libertas" ... Truth is the Foundation of Liberty.

VIP Member
    I don't think anyone should handle a lethal weapon much less try to defend themselves with a gun without some proper basic training.
    It would be just as easy for the BG to take it away from her if she does not know how to or is not prepared to act if a situation occurs.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I don't see the harm in leaving it, if she knows how to shoot it. Whether she will or won't, even having it there in an emergency may get a BG to leave. Having it and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it IMAO.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Heres a little trick. Instead of asking her to learn more about your gun and how it functions. Tell her you want her to be more involved in your hobbies. Tell her how the two of you need to spend more fun time together. Then when she masters the Glock, and it;s your turn to do "stamping," just say " maybe we're spending a little too much time together these days".

It's a little sneaky but it just might work.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You know... guns aren't real hard to figure out! Why on earth would you deny her the ability to defend herself when you are out of town?

You said, she has fired guns before, she respects guns for what they are and what they are capable of. So what's the big deal?

She may have a come to Jesus moment when the home intruder is finally kicking in the door and decide to blow him out of his socks!

But because she isn't as gun friendly as you would like her to be you're gonna leave her to the wolves?

I would recommend you read a few months worth of the NRA's armed citizen and you'll find out that a lot of people who aren't real familiar with guns in general manage to use them just fine when the moment of truth comes.

I don't know... I sure didn't mean to come across harsh... it's just something about your question just struck a chord. I apologize in advance if I offended anyone.

Certainly it is extremely beneficial if you can get her to at least one shooting session with the Glock beforehand, but even if she is not interested... For crying out loud, don't disarm her from the ability to defend herself when you are out of town.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Anything that I would say has already been said by better minds than I.

I will tell you however that their seems to be one very important factor missing. I am of the opinion that one should come to terms with being able and have the capacity to inflict death upon another human being by their hand.

If they are not able to do that then any gun is useless to them and stands a good chance of being taken away and used on them. I do not think the time to "come to terms" with this is in the moment of battle, if proper forethought can be obtained.

It is a very deep question, and their are no easy answers. My wife shoots handguns better than I do, but will not take a human life with one. Hence, I leave the guns locked up when I go away. We have both had exstensive expirience with death and dying, and she has concluded that she would rather not be the cause of another person's demise, even at the risk of her own life.

I myself have reached a different conclusion. As I think that when you put me in fear of my life, or the life of a third party, you have negated your own life. That is my conclusion after much soul searching. My attitude is one of, I will go home alive! I'm selfish and will freely admit that. I'm number one. If I have to cause your death to go home, so be it.

I have been in three armed encounters. One was with a family member that tried to stick an 8" blade in my stomach. My drawing a weapon and starting to roll the trigger is what stopped them. That gave me the split second I needed to leave the house with no more holes in me than what I was born with.

My relationship with my own mother is very strained because I wouldn't let her stick that blade in my stomach. This was over ten years ago. I tell you that to give you an idea of how selfish I am, actually it's how self-preserving I am. If she hadn't stopped when she did she would've been the recipient of up to five .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP bullets.

I hate drunks, and my own mother is a functioning alcoholic, but a very mean drunk. I very seldom drink, and hadn't had anything to drink that night when I went to visit her.

Sorry for the thread drift. I told you that in hopes that maybe your wife would read or listen to that and determine if she was able to do something like that to a stranger, or maybe even a friend or loved one. I am just thankful that my mother stopped when she did.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

I agree, leave it with her. Atleast she would have a fighting chance if she is armed and willing to use it.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Anything that I would say has already been said by better minds than I.

I will tell you however that their seems to be one very important factor missing. I am of the opinion that one should come to terms with being able and have the capacity to inflict death upon another human being by their hand.

If they are not able to do that then any gun is useless to them and stands a good chance of being taken away and used on them. I do not think the time to "come to terms" with this is in the moment of battle, if proper forethought can be obtained.

It is a very deep question, and their are no easy answers. My wife shoots handguns better than I do, but will not take a human life with one. Hence, I leave the guns locked up when I go away. We have both had exstensive expirience with death and dying, and she has concluded that she would rather not be the cause of another person's demise, even at the risk of her own life.

I myself have reached a different conclusion. As I think that when you put me in fear of my life, or the life of a third party, you have negated your own life. That is my conclusion after much soul searching. My attitude is one of, I will go home alive! I'm selfish and will freely admit that. I'm number one. If I have to cause your death to go home, so be it.
    I have been in three armed encounters. One was with a family member that tried to stick an 8" blade in my stomach. My drawing a weapon and starting to roll the trigger is what stopped them. That gave me the split second I needed to leave the house with no more holes in me than what I was born with.

My relationship with my own mother is very strained because I wouldn't let her stick that blade in my stomach. This was over ten years ago. I tell you that to give you an idea of how selfish I am, actually it's how self-preserving I am. If she hadn't stopped when she did she would've been the recipient of up to five .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP bullets.

I hate drunks, and my own mother is a functioning alcoholic, but a very mean drunk. I very seldom drink, and hadn't had anything to drink that night when I went to visit her.

Sorry for the thread drift. I told you that in hopes that maybe your wife would read or listen to that and determine if she was able to do something like that to a stranger, or maybe even a friend or loved one. I am just thankful that my mother stopped when she did.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    I like it Biker, call me selfish too. I have never been a victim or had my life threatened, and I simply won't allow it.
    Sometimes women with an attitude like mine get called some else, and that term is fine with me too.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links