How do I ship a hand gun?

This is a discussion on How do I ship a hand gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Will be flying from North Carolina to Colorado for a temporary assignment and want to take a hand gun. How do I ship it to ...

Thread: How do I ship a hand gun?

How do I ship a hand gun?

Will be flying from North Carolina to Colorado for a temporary assignment and want to take a hand gun. How do I ship it to my new location?

Can I ship it by UPS, Fed-EX, etc to my office address, or can I mail it to myself at our Post Office bbox?
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Well, for sure, you can't use the post office. You can ship it to yourself by other means. BATFE has the answers to this on their website, in pretty plain English. This has come up before here, including a few days ago, IIRC.

Why not take it with you on the airplane, secured in your checked baggage??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Must ship FedEx or UPS. Address it to yourself. No one else can open the package but you.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Just check it in at the airport in your checked luggage,some people have suggested to attach an eyebolt inside your luggage that you can run a cable thru to attach the gun case to the suitcase so nobody can just remove the gun case without xtra effort and time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Guys,

Thanks, and I must say that I really appreciate it from SIGGUY229 in Afganistan. Thank you for your service to our country, may god be with you.

By the way it is a Sig 229/ .40cal w/rail and night sights.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Flying with handguns really shouldn't be a big deal. I have flown with as many as three in the same case, with ammo in the case. Just make sure you check with your airline company rules as well as TSA rules. Also be sure you print out those rules in case a clerk gives you grief. Funny, the last time I flew with my guns, the TSA guys were more concerned about the large Chemistry textbook in my suitcase than with the guns. I actually had to go with them to open my bag so they could look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Will be flying from North Carolina to Colorado for a temporary assignment and want to take a hand gun. How do I ship it to my new location?

Can I ship it by UPS, Fed-EX, etc to my office address, or can I mail it to myself at our Post Office bbox?
    I've had some experience with this. Wrap it carefully and take it to UPS. When they ask what it is, tell them it's sporting goods. They will probably know you're shipping a gun, they just don't want you to say it.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Depends how anal your local UPS store is. The people at mine want to assume a fetal position at the sight of a 1911 slide and frame disassembled without barrel/bushing/mag/grips/ect. I got asked about a half dozen times if it would shoot and told that many times that they could not ship functional firearms.

Links