High Standard Sport King - good choice?

This is a discussion on High Standard Sport King - good choice? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A gun shop in town was closing up this week and I dropped by to see what they were offering. They had a High Standard ...

Thread: High Standard Sport King - good choice?

High Standard Sport King - good choice?

A gun shop in town was closing up this week and I dropped by to see what they were offering. They had a High Standard Sport King originally marked for $500, but when I asked how low they could go they dropped it to $270 tax included. Was this a good deal?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Check it out on Genitron.com They have almost every handgun in their database.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Suggested retail is $695.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a High Standard Sport King which is one of my very favorite target pistols.

High Standard has made a lot of .22 cal pistols and at gun shows, there seems to be a lot of High Standard "collectors" out there.

I think I would easily pay $270 for a High Standard Sport King, sight unseen!

As far as I'm concerned, YES, it's a good buy. I love mine!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    If one of you has a Sport King with the 6.75" barrel I have an old Hunter holster in real good shape you can have for the cost of shipping.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Funny you should ask about finding a home for that holster George,

The High Standard I have was given to my wife by her mother after her dad died. Her mom wanted her to have at least one of her dad's guns for protection. (this was a few years before I met her and she was going through a divorce at the time.) My wife's brother bought the rest of his dad's guns from the estate.

Years later we found out from her brother when talking guns and she told him she had dad's .22 target pistol, that the gun origninally came with three barrels. The 6.75" barrel, the 4" which is on the gun now, and another length I can't remember.

He told us when he bought the rest of the guns from their mother, he had found the two other barrels with the other guns he bought.

The bad news was that he had sold them since he didn't have the gun, they went to and didn't know what had happened to the gun.

The very bad news was that after having them for over ten years, he had just sold them about a month or two prior to him finding out that we had the gun! Talk about bad luck!

Needless to say, my wife and I were kind of disappointed to hear that!

That's a nice holster you have there, and if I had the other barrels for it, I'd be all over that holster.

Good luck finding a nice home for it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Funny you should ask about finding a home for that holster George,

The High Standard I have was given to my wife by her mother after her dad died. Her mom wanted her to have at least one of her dad's guns for protection. (this was a few years before I met her and she was going through a divorce at the time.) My wife's brother bought the rest of his dad's guns from the estate.

Years later we found out from her brother when talking guns and she told him she had dad's .22 target pistol, that the gun origninally came with three barrels. The 6.75" barrel, the 4" which is on the gun now, and another length I can't remember.

He told us when he bought the rest of the guns from their mother, he had found the two other barrels with the other guns he bought.

The bad news was that he had sold them since he didn't have the gun, they went to and didn't know what had happened to the gun.

The very bad news was that after having them for over ten years, he had just sold them about a month or two prior to him finding out that we had the gun! Talk about bad luck!

Needless to say, my wife and I were kind of disappointed to hear that!

That's a nice holster you have there, and if I had the other barrels for it, I'd be all over that holster.

Good luck finding a nice home for it!
    Bark'n, I bought a Iver Johnson .22 a year of so ago and the guy who had it threw in the holster. I have had it laying around since then. I figured that someday somebody would mention a High Standard Sport King and I would see if they wanted it. Risque007 PMed me this morning early and said that he had bought the one mentioned above and it has the 6.75" barrel. I'll ship it out to him tomorrow or the next day.

BTW the guy sold the Iver Johnson because he could hit anything with it. When I go home I did some checking and there were two versions of the gun. One with the cut in gutter sights and the other with adjustable target sights. They had different hammers. The target sight version had a hammer that stuck up above the top strap of the revolver, but the gutter sight version had to have a hammer that stopped below the gutter. This revolver had the wrong hammer on it. I tried for several months to find a replacement hammer with no success. So I ground the hammer down to where it belonged and buffed it up. It is very accurate when you can see the sights.

You can see the hammer above the frame in this photo.

And blocking the gutter in this one.

This ad shows what it is supposed to look like.

I don't have a photo of the way it looks now. Maybe I can take some this afternoon and post them.

Did your wife keep her brother or sell him? It's amazing how often that sort of thing happens. Thanks for the story. Sorry I didn't have a holster that yours would fit.

I have added a couple of photos of the Iver Johnson after the hammer was ground down.

Not bad for $75 and a few minutes grinding, plus there was a holster that will make Risque007's High Standard a nice accessory.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; August 30th, 2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added photos
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Sell him...? She wanted to kill him after his next bone head move!

He fell on hard times and pawned an engraved break open single shot 20 ga. Beretta shot gun their dad had given their mom for a Christmas present and a Winchester Canadian Centennial edition model 94 .30-30 their mother gave their father for the following Christmas and let the pawn expire!

I went down to the pawn shop and paid the shops asking price for them, just to keep them in the family. (Which was a couple hundred dollars more than he owed on them) Had he told us earlier, I could have gone down and gotten them out for the pawn owed on them.

I didn't particularly want them, but there was sentimental value for my wife, so I went down and bought them for her. She got very little of her dad's items after his death. Her two brothers got most of it because they were "guys!"

I'm tellin ya.... well.... I don't want to get bleeped. But we weren't happy about that one either!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Links