Decocker safety ??? - Page 2

Decocker safety ???

This is a discussion on Decocker safety ??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CopperKnight ...What would have happened if it had been loaded? Well, if you were following the FIRST RULE and the muzzle was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    ...What would have happened if it had been loaded?
    Well, if you were following the FIRST RULE and the muzzle was in a safe direction...meaning that it would cause NO harm if it went off....well.....nothing would've happened.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Landor
    I have an H&k with a decocker. It does make me feel a bit better knowing that the gun is decocked yet ready to fire just by pulling the trigger a bit harder then normal. My HK is DA/SA so olny the first shot is DA.
    This is why I carry my USP hammer down and always use the decocker. Although it is possible to carry the variation 1 USP "cocked and locked" like a 1911, I never do so because I'm afraid the act of sweeping the safety would cause it to go into decock mode and the delay might cost me my life. Rather go for the DA first shot.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Once you understand the SIG firing system you'll learn to trust the SIG decocker. It is impossible for a properly functioning SIG Pistol to fire when decocked using the SIG decocker.
    I love the decocker system on my P245. It just feels "right."

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I must say thanks for all the feedback, but I am thinking that I didn't express the question the way it was intended,

What I was looking for is to know if anyone has any experiance with using the "Thumb Down" method on a decocker equiped gun, leaving that gun in a mode that would allow it to be discharged when the hammer is struck, vs. using the decocking method leaving the hammer in a safety position preventing the hammers ability to strick the firing pin.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Assistant Administrator
    My answer Mike is no!!

I actually like knowing that, in SIG case in particular, there is a physical block between FP and hammer. Added to which I do not favor thumbing down on any semi from choice - the exception I will make is when at the range sometimes.

I should qualify the SIG situation in fact - it will matter not whether decocked or thumbed down - the final status is the same. The hammer can only move fully to impact FP at rear trigger travel so FP is still protected with relaxed trigger anyways.

I have not checked all semi's to see if this applies both to post-decock vs hammer thumbed down tho with Ruger P series the decocker just moves FP out of reach as hammer falls - not sure how much an impact could affect things after that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I have a decocker on my USPc and use it. When I follow the basic rules of firearm safety, there's no big deal. My CZ 75c has no decocker, and I manually decock it. I also have no problem with that.

A handy thing to have would be the Safe Direction containment pad.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    I have never carried my S&W model 439 with the hammer down, but if I am not mistaken when I move the decocker/hammer block to the fire position the hammer moves a fraction of an inch forward to rest on the firing pin. This could make dropping the weapon dangerous. I could be wrong about this, but I will check when I get home and post my conclusion.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

On My guns that have them i use the decocker like my HK on others i will empty the gun check several times then dryfire it to decock..

I would say no also. The decocker allows the hammer to not only fall without firing but sets up an additional safety so it doesn't fire if the hammer is struck.

You have full DA mode available either way (thumb down or decock) so why not just use the decocker.

Oh, I carry my HK Cocked and Locked but I fully understand where EX is coming from with his statement. I may have to rethink my doing so.

Wayne

Lead Moderator
    decock with the lever on my USP too. Carrying CNL with it, I have never accidently activated the safety. I keep the 1911 CNL unless empty.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    I have never carried my S&W model 439 with the hammer down, but if I am not mistaken when I move the decocker/hammer block to the fire position the hammer moves a fraction of an inch forward to rest on the firing pin. This could make dropping the weapon dangerous. I could be wrong about this, but I will check when I get home and post my conclusion.
    As strange as this seems to me the 439 firing pin goes through the bar that is attached to the decocking lever. When you press down on the lever the bar roll to block the hammer from the firing pin. When you raise the lever the hammer moves forward a fraction of an inch but still does not quite reach the firing pin. When the trigger is pulled and the hammer starts it's rearward travel the firing pin is pulled back a bit so it sits beyond the level of the bar. Then when the hammer falls it strikes a pin that is extended. From the looks of it, it would take a tremendous blow to the hammer in the uncocked position to cause it to push the firing pin into the round. Hmmm, I think I need to go back to the manual and see what it says about the decocker, etc.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I had a decocker on a beretta. Always worked and I trusted it. However, once you diversify I am sure that you will appreciate the simplicity of Glocks safe fire system even more than you may now. It is nice to have the weapon holstered with a round in the chamber and not having to worry about the condition of a hammer.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Have a decocker on my Taurus PT911 and use it all the time.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

One reason I chose the SIG was because of the decocker and firing pin safety design. Assuming that you managed to release the hammer without firing, once the trigger is released to reset, the FP safety is in place to prevent an ND, so the safety issue of not using the decocker is minimized (though not eliminated). I always use the decocker.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links