Gun insurance

Gun insurance

This is a discussion on Gun insurance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone know where I can get a decent priced gun insurance policy that will cover ALL my firearms and ammo in the event of ...

Thread: Gun insurance

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Gun insurance

Does anyone know where I can get a decent priced gun insurance policy that will cover ALL my firearms and ammo in the event of theft, fire, flood etc? Our renters insurance only covers up to $1,500 dollars in firearm replacement. Needless to say I would be SOL if something happened to them.

I have upwards of $8-10 grand worth of guns, ammo and accessories. My gun safe is 'ok', but I don't know how long it would withstand a major fire or flood. Anyone know any companies or policies that I could get that would cover ALL of my stuff?

Thanks!

Well, I'm no expert, but the wife and I got something called an "Umbrella Policy" that seems to cover just about everything. Check into it. Wasn't a big hunk of dough, either.

Umbrella may no cover everything. At least some insurance companies require specific rider to cover guns above their standard minimum ($1500 or $2000). Worth checking out.
    Last edited by mouse07410; August 31st, 2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: clarification

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    As far as State Farm goes, my homeowners policy covers up to $5000.00 per occurance, an additional rider for $12,000.00 costs $115.00 per year.
    If you are an NRA member you have additional coverage as part of your membership as well.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I remember hearing something about NRA insurance... how does that work? I really want to get my firearms insured sometime in the near future.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I remember hearing something about NRA insurance... how does that work? I really want to get my firearms insured sometime in the near future.
    Benefits of Membership

This page will get you to the basic member benefits page, unfortunatley the "Armc Care" page seems to be down at the moment.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

An Umbrella policy does not cover property. It covers "Liability" above and beyond either your built in homeowners liability limit, your auto liability limit, or both. It has nothing to do with property of any kind.

What you need is to call your agent and ask them to either schedule the items (in this case guns) on your homeowners policy. You can have a schedule on a renter policy as well. It is no different than scheduling jewelry, or other valuables. If you insurance carrier can't or won't schedule them, then you may need to buy what's called a stand alone "Inland Marine" policy. In either case, this is how to properly insure them.

If you need more help you can private message me and I'll be glad to assist you or anyone else on this matter.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Inland Marine policy is what I use to cover my business related equipment as I have an office in home. All items insured must be itemized with "current values" on the policy, and the policy must be kept updated. I never thought about doing an Inland Marine policy for "collections" such as guns. May have to check into that myself. I was always left the impression by my homeowners policy agent(s) that I would need to da a rider on the HO policy. So, an Inland Marine policy would work for a gun collection?

surv

Free insurance

edit ** nevermind, already posted above **

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Inland Marine policy is what I use to cover my business related equipment as I have an office in home. All items insured must be itemized with "current values" on the policy, and the policy must be kept updated. I never thought about doing an Inland Marine policy for "collections" such as guns. May have to check into that myself. I was always left the impression by my homeowners policy agent(s) that I would need to da a rider on the HO policy. So, an Inland Marine policy would work for a gun collection?

surv
    Some homeowners allow for what's called a "Schedule" where you can itemize special items that fall outside the realm of the policies regular coverage. However, in some rare cases they don't. Also, the OP asked specifically about their renters policy which is different in coverage forms and can be more restrictive. In the instance that a homeowners or renters won't cover something like guns, there are companies that offer stand alone Inland Marine policies that you can purchase. The coverage is very broad (as on homeowners schedules) and covers things like mysterious disappearance, breakage, theft, in transit, etc...). I have all of my specific valuables insured this way.

Did you see the post I made here a couple of days ago?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...insurance.html

It has some info including some on the NRA endorsed insurance.

Links