New firewall for work next week... It will block any website.....[:(]

This is a discussion on New firewall for work next week... It will block any website.....[:(] within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Luckily, I'm the IT guy....... Told them do not block and gun, hunting, survival, or gun supply sites.... They asked why...... I told them I'd ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New firewall for work next week... It will block any website.....[:(]

Luckily, I'm the IT guy.......

Told them do not block and gun, hunting, survival, or gun supply sites....

They asked why......

I told them I'd probably be fired if they did......

The owner is a retired Army Major. He was a gunship pilot in Nam, and was shot down twice.

Every boss there hunts, collects guns, and has carry permits.

You'll see one of the son's or the other walking through with AK, and AR's all the time.

I've had my 2 FAL's, My Ak, AR15, and my 45 Beretta Storm down there, and don't know how many pistols have been down there.

CEO just brought his new RIA AR15 varmint rifle down, and the owner had is Double Barrel down today getting ready for a dove hunt.....

God, I love where I work.......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Welcome to the club! When you're screwed, you're screwed. Key words and all. I know what it's like, believe me. At least I can check my emial once in a while from the company computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Welcome to the club! When you're screwed, you're screwed. Key words and all. I know what it's like, believe me. At least I can check my emial once in a while from the company computers.
    Reread......

All the bosses where I work, hunt's, has evil black guns, and has carry permits......

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Talking

Where do you work? Do they have offices in WA? Are they taking applications?

You're a lucky guy...any 'gun ladies' there, or is it all men?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You lucky (insert your favorite).
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Yep is nice to work somewhere that does not HATE guns.

I just showed a friend the article in the Rifleman, where Winchester is making a box of shells to commemorate the how we won more medals than anybody at the last Olympics. Then I asked him if he ever heard anything in the Media about it.

Ahh, to enjoy ones' work and hobby is to be a truly wealthy man......

Enjoy your wealth, Grasshopper you enjoy a rare privilege in this life...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Lucky guy for sure.. They have been talking about doing that at my work place too,. Hope they don't.. Not only for slow times like this, but for the research that I need to do on things for work related,. . I have the feeling if they do, business will drop,... :-(

You're the IT guy and you're asking someone else not to block certain keyword sites? As the IT guy, you should have the admin passwords to admin that blocking software, whether on the router or otherwise. Then after it's installed, just create permissions as you feel is appropriate...

For those who aren't admins but can justify being able to remotely connect to an outside computer, get the ports for the remote access software opened in the company's router. Then connect to your home computer and surf from your own PC or Mac. If you have to connect from home to work, then the ports are already opened for you to go the other way too.

I do, but the company (Qwest) that I purchased the Firewall through wants all our phone and data service in all 11 branches, so they gave me a good price, and they are configuring it, and installing it free. SSOO why not let them?

It is a Cisco ASA 5510 with the Content Security SSM-10 Module. It will allow me to block any site even down to allowing one person to go there and block another. Also if I want it, I can track each place each person goes, time there amount of downloads, bandwidth used.......

But I'm more interested in stopping what comes in rather than them goofing off, on their dead time. We have 11 branches in 5 states that all come through the Memphis branch for internet access, so it will help out. It has antivirus, spam filtering, spybot, and key logger blocking made into it.

Maybe I am paranoid, but why would you give them that control over your co's computers?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Once they program what I want blocked, and they leave, they have no control over it. They are just setting up what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    Luckily, I'm the IT guy.......

Told them do not block and gun, hunting, survival, or gun supply sites....

They asked why......

I told them I'd probably be fired if they did......

The owner is a retired Army Major. He was a gunship pilot in Nam, and was shot down twice.

Every boss there hunts, collects guns, and has carry permits.

You'll see one of the son's or the other walking through with AK, and AR's all the time.

I've had my 2 FAL's, My Ak, AR15, and my 45 Beretta Storm down there, and don't know how many pistols have been down there.

CEO just brought his new RIA AR15 varmint rifle down, and the owner had is Double Barrel down today getting ready for a dove hunt.....

God, I love where I work.......
    Sounds like an awesome place to work.

We had the same IT issue recently. We signed up with a firewall blocking service and luckily, I am the entire IT department, so I UNchecked the "weapons" category... It is good to be "the" IT guy.

-M

I just set up a proxy on my personal website.
    As long as I can hit my site, I can look at whatever I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links