Single Vs. Doublestack. - Page 2

Single Vs. Doublestack.

This is a discussion on Single Vs. Doublestack. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by varob Who makes a double stack 1911? Para-Ordnance offers a number of wide-bodies. If it has a double stack mag, is it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Who makes a double stack 1911?
    Para-Ordnance offers a number of wide-bodies.
    If it has a double stack mag, is it still a 1911?
    Technically, no, and Para doesn't refer to them as such.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It held 15+1 and was thinner than a 1911, due to the design of the frame, integration of the grip panels inside the frame instead of mounting on top.
    They are just a tad wider than a 1911 with the thin stocks.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My hands arent very big and the double stack mags make the grips too wide for my preference. I have always owned 1911's and maybe due to this, I have grown into this type of grip. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I like the idea of a higher round mag but they just dont feel right in my hands. I think the single stack system conceals easier too. YMMV.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I have always owned 1911's and maybe due to this, I have grown into this type of grip. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
    My sentiments exactly.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Who makes a double stack 1911?

If it has a double stack mag, is it still a 1911?
    There is also a Charles Daly M-5 series is double stack, its also a poly frame.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

There are many and multiple double stack 2011 guns.
    Check a gun products magazine or book for listings of manufacturer options...They have been around for over a decade.

BTW '1911' = Single Stack while '2011' = Double Stack

As to the OP the big thing about single or double is fit of product to hand as related to ability to grasp and hold the firearm as well as reach the trigger...optimally.
    Persons both male and female with small hands know this as truth.

Beyond that it's very much personal preference as related to feel, ability to carry conceal (double stacks are very concealable and have been as based on every day armed criminal activity results), and magazine capacity (!).

At best a single stack 1911 will support 10 rounds via an extended length magazine be it .45 ACP or 9MM/38 Super in specific. 7 and 8 rounds is the norm for standard length magazines regardless of caliber.
    Meanwhile a double stack anything, be it 2011 or some other type format, will generally support at least 13 rds. if not as much as 19 depending on the caliber, all out of a standard length magazine (no extension).
    This presents multiple real and tactical advantages including greater overall weight of the firearm as well as greater weight at the grip/heel which can affect point ability which directly affects accuracy. Further increased weight directly affects felt recoil, and helps to reduce it as felt.

Never mind the tactical advantage of having greater ability to put rounds downrange without requiring a reload...And ability to stay functional in the fight longer per magazine.
    This in specific was made famous in relatively recent news by the Trolley Square Mall incident as an off duty LEO there carrying a 1911 with just a single seven round magazine (!) found he quickly burned up his ammo and was then unable to be active nor even defend himself and his wife who was also in the mall with him albeit hidden.

I personally run 1911s exclusively. Single stack.
    That is my personal preference...And because I live in an AWB state having a 'high capacity' magazine supporting firearm is a non-starter. Otherwise I'd be running a double stack S&W M&P full size chambered in .40 or .45.

With my 1911s I run at a minimum an 8 rd. .45 ACP mag or .9 rd. 9MM in the gun. I always carry a _second_ reserve magazine typically a 10 rd. 45 ACP or 9rd. 9MM mag. Often times I may choose to carry a _third_ reserve magazine as well.
    The net result is at a minimum (!) 18+1rds. of .45 or 9MM or maximally 28+1 of .45 ACP and 27+1 9MM.

Per the old saying; 'It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have'. Always.

- Janq

P.S. - Even if I did have a double stack gun with as much as 20 rds. available in hand...I _still_ would continue to carry a reserve magazine of same or greater capacity, regardless. Always.
    If I lived in a state where long gun carry were lawful I'd do same. A single reserve magazine at a minimum...Because stuff has, does, and just may occur.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I like lots of bullets so I generally prefer doublestack guns. However certain guns are singlestack which generally are easier to carry. I think whatever feels comfortable in your hands and what you are comfortable with then that will end the debate.

I have two single stack Sigs and two double stack Sigs. I like to carry the biggest/highest capacity pistol I can easily conceal.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links