Savage Accustock vs. Choate Tactical (Cabela's Special) A5

This is a discussion on Savage Accustock vs. Choate Tactical (Cabela's Special) A5 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cabela's has been running a special on the Choate Tactical .308 made by Savage and I am in the market for a new bolt-action after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Accustock vs. Choate Tactical (Cabela's Special) A5

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Savage Accustock vs. Choate Tactical (Cabela's Special) A5

Cabela's has been running a special on the Choate Tactical .308 made by Savage and I am in the market for a new bolt-action after I sold my old one. I want a .308 and really like the AccuStock concept... Any thoughts on what the difference are between these two models?

I am going to both target shoot and hunt (will be hiking/walking while hunting) with this gun.

2. Remove Ads

Choate Tactical is a pretty good brand..dont think you would go wrong.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

It's a Savage; how bad could it be? I'd love to have one, never know when you'll have to reach out!

Bob F.

That is my thought. Just curious about the pros and cons of bothsince they are about the same price.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Cabela's has been running a special on the Choate Tactical .308 made by Savage and I am in the market for a new bolt-action after I sold my old one. I want a .308 and really like the AccuStock concept... Any thoughts on what the difference are between these two models?

I am going to both target shoot and hunt (will be hiking/walking while hunting) with this gun.
    IMO tactical rifles are not for hunting. Too heavy. I would suggest holding a few models in your hand before you decide.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Yeah if I was reading the right description on the Savage site, I think that Choate tactical was almost 11 pounds. That is heavy for spot and stalk.

Administrator
    I dont like the Savage tac stocks, they look and feel cheap. I'd go with the Choate... but both are horrible for hunting applications.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    IMO tactical rifles are not for hunting. Too heavy. I would suggest holding a few models in your hand before you decide.
    So I took Timmy's advice & stopped by my local Cabela's today to put the feel test on a few shooters. After handling the rifles and working the actions, I think I reached a few conclusions.

Remington 700s are excellent. The Tikka T3 Lite had a nice feel to it and was noticably lighter than other synthetic stock .308 rifles. Cabela's does not stock Howa products, which was disappointing because I would have liked to test one out.

Finally, I checked out the Savage rifles. The Choate Tactical that Cabela's keeps in stock was exactly like Sixto said "horrible for hunting." It had a flat, wide front end and was heavy as you could imagine. It felt like 15 pounds, not 10-1/2. It was obvious that the rifle was built for two things: urban LEO activity & benchrest shooting. It is absolutely not, under no circumstances, to be purchased for spot & stalk hunting!

I then went on to check out the Savage AccuStock models. This was the second time I had seen these models in person and was very impressed. The pricing is a bit high compared to previous Savage rifles of similar build, but you are getting a much improved stock.

I liked the feel of it and frankly, if it reduces recoil by 45%, I would pay the premium.

The only question now is choosing a model. They have one that they call a LEO Precision Carbine. It's in digital camo. It does not weigh much more than the other models at all.

The other model is all-black, one with a stainless action & bbl and the other with a blued action & bbl. I really like the look of the stainless, but is there any significant benefit to a stainless bbl & action? It does cost almost $150 more.

Any suggestions on which AccuStock model to choose would be appreciated. Thanks!

the choate is good, but heavy, if u call choate direct, they have a folding varmit stock, its not listed in the catalog, just the folding sniper

Any suggestions on which AccuStock model to choose would be appreciated. Thanks!
    they are all the same gun inside, just different stocks. and barrel lengths

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    they are all the same gun inside, just different stocks. and barrel lengths
    Really, I am trying to decide now if the stainless bbl is worth it or if there are any drawbacks (other than reflecting light when I am trying to hide from my target animal!).

Administrator
    if its a hunting gun, I'd buy the lightest one. There is no need for a heavy barrel etc., and you will regret the purchase if thats the purpose of the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Is a stainless bbl more heavy than a blued one?

VIP Member
    Is a stainless bbl more heavy than a blued one?
    Nope. Same weight.

If you plan to go to Alaska or if you have some odd reason to not clean a gun till a couple days after you get rained on go for stainless. If you are like 99.9% of all other hunters and shooters and will care for your gear go with blue steel. Blue steel is said(take this for what it's worth) to be more accurate than stainless harmonically speaking and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in the woods. I'd get blue steel cause it costs less.

My real recommendation to you is to go with a sporter weight model and ONLY IF ACCURACY STINKS upgrade the stock to a HS or Bell and Carlson. The heavy bbl guns are too clumsy to carry all day and Savage makes hunting rifles that shoot tight groups out of the box. There is about 50 reasons for not getting a tactical style gun for hunting but the big two are weight and cost. Good luck.

Maybe you should look at that X-bolt you liked : )

I still prefer Remington.

Cabela's -- Bell and Carlson Replacement Medalist Rifle Stock - Tan Web
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My real recommendation to you is to go with a sporter weight model and ONLY IF ACCURACY STINKS upgrade the stock to a HS or Bell and Carlson. The heavy bbl guns are too clumsy to carry all day and Savage makes hunting rifles that shoot tight groups out of the box.
    Thanks- regarding the heavy bbl guns... I have seen this distinction before. Heavy bbl vs. standard bbl. What is the difference? I mean, are all the Savage rifles w/AccuStock "heavy bbl" guns? Or are all stainless steel bbls "heavy bbls?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links