Kimber mags in non-Kimber 1911's - Page 2

Kimber mags in non-Kimber 1911's

This is a discussion on Kimber mags in non-Kimber 1911's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I went out and bought a Kimber mag yesterday. I'm impatient . I'm going to check out the McCormicks, thanks Janq for the link. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber mags in non-Kimber 1911's

Well, I went out and bought a Kimber mag yesterday. I'm impatient . I'm going to check out the McCormicks, thanks Janq for the link.

The Kimber fits my gun alright, I'll shoot with it this weekend. It doesn't fall freely out of the gun, though. But neither did my stock mags until I oiled them and used them a bit. Pics aren't too good due to my phone camera, but you'll notice the only difference is the follower is shaped a little differently and the Kimber has a flat bottom, whereas the Taurus has a pad.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by zacii; September 9th, 2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add picture
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    but you'll notice the only difference is the follower is shaped a little differently and the Kimber has a flat bottom, whereas the Taurus has a pad.
    That is a Check-Mate Industries magazine with their "Bull Nose" follower (CM45-8-). Handgun Magazines | Check-Mate Industries, Inc.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

How critical are the pads on the bottom of mags?

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

OD*
    How critical are the pads on the bottom of mags?
    They aren't critical to using in the pistol itself, you can used either type magazine. They are critical to the magazines themselves though, because they function as the base plate.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    They aren't critical to using in the pistol itself, you can used either type magazine. They are critical to the magazines themselves though, because they function as the base plate.
    Is there any tactical, practical advantage? Is it easier to do a tap, rack malfunction clearance?

OD*
    They make seating the magazine a little easier if you have an extended mag-well.

I finally got out to try out the Kimber magazine yesterday. I also picked up a Wilson Combat, too. Both mags functioned well, I had one malfunction: user malfunction. I can tell that the Wilson is just made better, the spring is better, the metal is better, it's easier to load. The Kimber is good, but the Wilson is better.

You can see the Wilson sticking out of the bottom of my Taurus a little. The Kimber will be the last mag I go for, right now, because it won't free fall out of my gun. Maybe it will loosen over time. Now I need a McCormick...

I use wilson combat,kimber and chip mccormick in my pt1911 without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've never had a problem with my Kimbers or my Kimber mags...I've also purchased some Wilson Combat mags...they all work well.
    Let me correct this statement...I assumed that the Wilsons would work perfectly and they were purchased specificaly for the course I took to have plenty of mags to practice skills learned...
    I just finished a Threat-Focused Shooting Course in which I used two of my Kimbers, which have always performed flawlessly...until I tried Wilson mags.
    I had 5 Kimber mags and 4 'brand spanking new' Wilson Combat mags (46C's). As soon as I started using the Wislons, I began having difficulties inserting the mags without 'jamming' the Wislon into the mag well...something was not right. FTF's were produced only with the Wislons and not the Kimbers. I put the Kimber Ultra aside and then tried the Kimber Compact...same results.

The 'experienced' instructor could also see that the foot of the Wilson mags were getting slightly bent from insertion into the mag wells.
    I took the mags back to my gun shop and was given four new Kimber mags...no more problems...I'm sticking with my Kimber mags that I've never had a problem with...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Anyone have experience using Kimber 1911 mags in pistols other than Kimber?
    My Kimber mags would not work in any of my three Kimbers. The mags from the first two, I crushed in a vise, to make sure they never got mixed up with good mags. The mag from my third Kimber, a Stainless Gold Match, after showing it did not work, either, was kept in the box until that gun was sold, and yes, I advised the buyer that the gun did not feed with that mag.

FWIW, these were indeed made in the early era, that some call Series One.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

That a good deal..........

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I just bought Wilson combat 8 round commander lengthmags from Dillo9n Precision for $25.00 ea +S&H,best price I've ever seen
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links