Ammo Issues

Ammo Issues

This is a discussion on Ammo Issues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I am curious if anyone has had any problems with the actual bullet part of the shell sinking back into the casing. I have ...

Thread: Ammo Issues

Ammo Issues

Hello, I am curious if anyone has had any problems with the actual bullet part of the shell sinking back into the casing. I have notice this with the brand CCI blazer and also with green and white box Remington UMC. The weapons used is a 1991 Colt 45ACP 1911 and a Kimber Custom II.
    I also noticed fed problems with the 1st round of the blazer ammo while using Wilson Combat 47D magazines and while using Chip McCormick Power Mags. Any help would be great. I've yet to notice the issue in my Glock 21SF.
    Thanks for the help.

VIP Member
    First, welcome to the forum.

What you describe sounds like set-back. Are you loading, unloading and the re-loading the same round over and over again? If so, you've got set-back. Simple solution is to change that round out every once in awhile. Put it in with your range ammo and shoot it before it becomes and issue.

Hope that helps.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Bullet set back is not an uncommon occurrence, in most cases it is caused by the nose of the bullet slamming into the feed ramp as it is forced into the chamber. Depending on the amount of set back involved it can cause a significant build up in chamber pressure, causing damage to the gun or injury to the shooter. Check the nose of one of the set back rounds and see if you notice any marks like it is hitting on the front of the ramp. It is possible the round is going in with a nose down attitude, which I would suspect is a mag spring problem. Not sure if there is a difference in the ramp angle between your 1911's and the Glock.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by archer51; September 9th, 2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added welcome

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    load it and leave it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheesh!!!!!!

Thank you both for your input.
    I usually never load and unload the same round. I always leave the one round chambered, that is until I noticed this problem when I unloaded completely.
    The issue seems to be more with the blazer ammo. I just went and tried different magazines with fresh rounds that had never been loaded. I am still having the same issue. I had never noticed it this much until I started using this blazer ammo. Is this a low quality brand?

As of now it stands. 2 rounds of the Remington with this issue
    and at least 6 with the CCI Blazer.

I am considering taking the Mags and Kimber to a gunsmith for testing.

For defense ammo, look for ammo that has been 'crimped' around the base of the bullet (about halfway down on the brass). Those types usually help reduce setback. Federal makes some hollow points that are crimped like that, I've also seen it in other brands.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links