Gun Shot blow out kit - Page 2

Gun Shot blow out kit

This is a discussion on Gun Shot blow out kit within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ban Aids are not going to cut it for a GSW. Here is what I have in the Bag of Evil Blow Out Kit. 2 ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ban Aids are not going to cut it for a GSW. Here is what I have in the Bag of Evil Blow Out Kit.

2 Pr Nitrile Gloves
    1 Roll Kerlix (gauze bandage)
    2 Trau Medic Bandages (one for the entry hole and one for the exit hole)
    CAT Tourniquet
    Quick Clot

I also carry a Boo Boo kit in the same bag, the most used items in there are fabric band aids and Burn Gel.
    There are only three ways you can cause trauma to a human body-
    Burning
    Cutting (cuts, stabs, penetrating wounds, rips from explosions)
    Crushing (impact injuries)

When something happens slow your roll. Take the time to ALWAYS put gloves one, this will give you a second to clear your mind and think about what you need to do. Grab your kit, access the surrounds and make sure it is safe to render aid. Check the airway, breathing, bleeding. GSWs are not always gushing blood. If the person is standing up, lay them down. Control the bleeding with elevation and direct pressure. In most locations you should see EMS and police rolling in by this time.

If you carry a gun, spare mag, OC, knife...yada yada yada and have no first aid training or gear you may want to reevaluate your mindset because it sucks.

Violent encounter are only problems like car crashes and are problems. You need the training and tools to face all likely problems. You are much more likely to need your first aid kit than a gun. Saving a life feels better than taking one.- George

Hmmmm......good thread.
    I used to always have a first aid kit in each car and at least one in the house but this reminded me that I've gotten away from that. Dunno why, no excuse. Gotta get that fixed.

Never heard of a blowout kit either but I'm not surprised as I'm new to firearms. A few of those to supplement my existing kits is going on my shopping list pronto.

Administrator
    Yup, got a kit or two, been trained to use it. I've actually used one twice in the last year.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Thanks bro, I have to say I am alarmed by the lack of interest in this thread. Too many people prepared to shoot, not enough prepared to treat a gun shot wound. Wouldn't it suck to do everything right and fend off a violent attack, and look over and see a loved one with a GSW and have not training or equipment to save them?

This is actually a great idea for a thread. I could have used one when my wife was hit in the leg in '04. Thankfully, she didnt lose it. Im gonna have to get me a couple of these.

For those who are interested in a commercially manufactured ready to go Gunshot Wound Blowout Kit here is a link to one by Gall's Public Safety Supplier.

There are lots of these types of kits out there from various suppliers. Some have Quick Clot products, and others have Celox products. Some are without. Some have combat tourniquets and others don't. (If you want to add a combat tourniquet, they can be purchased separately and added to a kit. They run in the range of $35 - $40 for a tourniquet alone) Pretty much all these kits are designed to fit inside a BDU pocket or on a belt so they would also fit inside any range bag easily.

You can also make your own blowout kit, piecemeal and just use the one linked here for ideas.

Anyway, this is just one kit from one manufacturer so good luck hunting for a kit that meets your needs. Most of the various commercially available kits run comparable in price give or take $10-$20.

Note: As always, proper training in the use of specific products in these types of kits are essential! Especially with use of combat tourniquets, hemostatic clotting products like Quick Clot and Celox and the Asherman Chest Seal for treatment of sucking chest wounds. Do Not Use without proper training!

Dynamed Gunshot Trauma Kit from Galls Public Safety <---- hyperlink

Last edited by Bark'n; September 11th, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Select the kit for you expected applications-Trauma/Boo Boo
    Carry it
    Have the knowledge to use it

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Thanks for the thread Mercop. Perhaps the slow response is that a lot of us are thinking, "gee, we haven't taken concrete steps in this area."
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I purchased one of the AMK Field Trauma Kits. Since we go out shooting in the desert a lot (without phone service), I thought this was a good/necessary kit.

AMK Tactical Field /Trauma - Go Time Gear, LLC

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    I purchased one of the AMK Field Trauma Kits. Since we go out shooting in the desert a lot (without phone service), I thought this was a good/necessary kit.

AMK Tactical Field /Trauma - Go Time Gear, LLC
    Really, for the price, that is not a bad little comprehensive first aid kit.

Don't forget, for kits like that, you can always supplement it by purchasing any special items you might need and add to that kit.

For instance, you can get a few items like a pocket mask, maybe some nasal airways, a combat tourniquet.

I just caution that people learn to use the items they have in their kits appropriately.

Now, mercop started this thread regarding "special purpose" kits geared specifically towards treating gunshot and or stab wounds.

There is rational behind kits geared only towards specific injuries like that.
    1) It keeps the kit small so you are more than likely to have it either with you or physically on your person.
    2) In a critical incident, it allows you to focus more on what you need and allows you to save time digging through stuff trying to find the stuff you need or keeping down on confusion.
    3) With life threatening, uncontrolled hemorrhage, having what you need, and only what you need helps economize time and movements thus saving precious seconds and also helps you focus.

However, the kit you have can certainly handle a gunshot wound, but also other things in a more comprehensive nature which you have selected to fit your specific needs.

So, +1 for being prepared! Stay Safe.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's funny you say that, not long ago at a gun show a good buddy cut his finger on a kerambit. Everyone was digging into their bags and pulling out Quik Clot etc. Because I separate my Trauma and Boo Boo kits I was able to pull out gauze and tape. These prepacked kits are a great idea, just make sure that you have Boo Boo stuff that you are willing to use day in and day out. A slice across the pad of your thumb is an attention getting and requires attention as well.- George

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    FWIW I should have an article published in "Concealed Carry" magazine in January addressing this particular topic. Can't paste it in here since it had to be 'unpublished'.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I just started my EMT-B course and was planing on getting a kit together once I start CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Really, for the price, that is not a bad little comprehensive first aid kit.

Don't forget, for kits like that, you can always supplement it by purchasing any special items you might need and add to that kit.

For instance, you can get a few items like a pocket mask, maybe some nasal airways, a combat tourniquet.

I just caution that people learn to use the items they have in their kits appropriately.

Now, mercop started this thread regarding "special purpose" kits geared specifically towards treating gunshot and or stab wounds.

There is rational behind kits geared only towards specific injuries like that.
    1) It keeps the kit small so you are more than likely to have it either with you or physically on your person.
    2) In a critical incident, it allows you to focus more on what you need and allows you to save time digging through stuff trying to find the stuff you need or keeping down on confusion.
    3) With life threatening, uncontrolled hemorrhage, having what you need, and only what you need helps economize time and movements thus saving precious seconds and also helps you focus.

However, the kit you have can certainly handle a gunshot wound, but also other things in a more comprehensive nature which you have selected to fit your specific needs.

So, +1 for being prepared! Stay Safe.

That's what I plan on doing. I want to add a CAT and an Israeli bandage among a few other items.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

This will show my age, but what about tourniquets? Even as youngsters (back in the day) we were shown how to make and use them. My Dad said they were effective if you knew how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    This will show my age, but what about tourniquets? Even as youngsters (back in the day) we were shown how to make and use them. My Dad said they were effective if you knew how to use them.
    As an EMT & Paramedic instructor, for decades, tourniquets were always taught to be used only as a last resort. The fear was because of crushed tissue damage underneath the ligature as well as the build up of lactic acid to the area distal to the tourniquet from the lack of blood circulation would result in the likelihood of the limb having to amputated.

Now just this year the National Registry of EMT's has just completed a new set of training standards being included in all the national curriculum for "bleeding control and shock management" to include the use of tourniquets. I actually saw this coming because as a swat medic, I keep up on all the current trends in combat casualty care.

In pre-hospital EMS care, what is learned in the military on the battlefield, eventually makes it's way to become standard care in EMS after about a decade of study.

Well we are almost 8 years into the war on terror in both Afghanistan and Iraq and they have had wide spread successful use of tourniquets to control severe bleeding and shock management without loss of life and a significant number of cases where use of tourniquets did not require limb amputation. They have had such a success with use of tourniquets that each combat troop is issued their own personal combat tourniquet and companies like Blackhawk are now manufacturing BDU uniforms which has a built in tourniquet in the arms and legs of the BDU.

The standard of care for bleeding control and shock management for the last 3 - 4 decades has always been, apply firm direct pressure to the wound and elevate the limb higher than the level of the heart. If that doesn't work, apply pressure to pressure points of major arteries against the bone underneath the artery to slow the blood flow enough to allow clotting. Tourniquets were only used as a last resort.

What the military has found during the war on terror is that there is no significant evidence to support that direct pressure, elevation and pressure points has any significant benefit to control massive bleeding encountered from gunshot wounds to the extremities where vessel damage usually occurs deep within the structure of the arm or leg. And also no significant evidence to control severe bleeding with blast injuries and massive hemorrhage encountered with mines and IED's

What they did find out is that tourniquets, if applied correctly and utilizing a purpose built tourniquet that it does control bleeding quite effectively and that tourniquets can be applied for up to six hours with very limited risk of having to amputate the limb if the wounded soldier or Marine if they able to reach surgery within that six hour time period.

In the civilian world, six hours is more than ample time for an injured person to get to an operating room with vascular and trauma surgeons to treat the person who has a tourniquet applied.

So, now, the new standard of care is going to be, if direct pressure doesn't immediately control severe uncontrolled bleeding, you will go immediately to use of a tourniquet as the next step to control bleeding.

So, it is always best to get training for the proper use of a tourniquet but it is currently being integrated into EMS training today. I just finished teaching my last EMT class in July of this year and taught the old method, but my next class I will be adding the new "Bleeding Control and Shock Management" treatment and use of tourniquets to all new EMT students.

EMT and Paramedic textbooks are being updated now to include the new changes.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links