Gun Shot blow out kit

This is a discussion on Gun Shot blow out kit within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I keep Israeli battle dressings in the range bag and car kit. The car kit has kerlix and some 4X4s and bandaids, and tape. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shot blow out kit

I keep Israeli battle dressings in the range bag and car kit. The car kit has kerlix and some 4X4s and bandaids, and tape. I had read the above info about tourniquets recently, and had been meaning to add one to the kit. I am now officially reminded. I know that this thread is about gunshot wounds, but wanted to mention one thing...if you are in a very bad rear-end collision, the kit kept in the trunk might as well be at home.
    What Would Gumby Do?

2. Remove Ads

Thanks Bark'n for the latest on tourniquets.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

From spending 20+ years in the military and raising three scouts at home, I learned many years ago to always keep a first aid kit nearby. I always have a kit in each car and at least one in our house. They aren't exactly designed as GSW kits, but they have the basics necessary to treat a bullet or knife wound until trained medical professionals can take over.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Moderator
    It is always interesting to watch pre-hospital medicine evolve.

Hey Bark'n, here's a blast from the past. Remember rotating tourniquets for treating CHF?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

For the average Joe (non-EMT type), should any basic ~40hr type course at a community college or other suitable source be sufficient for covering the handling of what such a decent non-EMT grade field/trauma kit contains?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Last year I had a drunk stumble through a glass door. Massive lacs over the arm. Another drunk had used his belt to make a tourniquet, which saved the guy's life. We made out own out of cravats and a kitchen spoon, since we don't carry them on our trucks. That was a fun night, for more than one reason...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I keep a small first aid kit (band-aids and antiseptic wipes) in my range bag, along with a Celox pack. I have a more extensive first aid kit in the car along with another Celox pack. At the range, the car is never far away. It's not a specific "blow-out" pack, but something I put together over time and keep in a fishing tackle box.

I must say...this is one very informative thread. I appreciate all the information made available here. It's something I seldom think about..being able to treat a gunshot wound for myself or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    It is always interesting to watch pre-hospital medicine evolve.

Hey Bark'n, here's a blast from the past. Remember rotating tourniquets for treating CHF?

Matt
    Absofriggonlutely! I talk about them from time to time in my EMT classes cause the kids always like to hear what it was like when Dinosaurs walked the earth!

Cheers Buddy!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Absofriggonlutely! I talk about them from time to time in my EMT classes cause the kids always like to hear what it was like when Dinosaurs walked the earth!

Cheers Buddy!
    How 'bout IC Epi, Thumper and Cadillac ambulances?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Man you're tearing my heart out!

I worked in Cadillac Ambulances... 1976 Cadillac Superior with the 501 cubic inch limousine engines. We used to cruise "The Plaza" in them in midtown KCMO lookin cool!

We never used Epi via Inter Cardiac injections in Missouri. I always wondered why the pre-load Epi and Calcium had 4" needles on them until I met my wife. When my wife started in 1976, over in Kansas, every code got Inter Cardiac Epi and Calcium in their protocols... I was amazed that she had done over 300 IC sticks.

We had a Thumper salesmen come by to demo one of the models on CPR manikin once. When he activated it, the chest placement pad "popped" off and a steel piston rammed right through the chest of poor old Resusi-Annie.

I said, "You know, even the most uneducated ignorant family is gonna figure out something is wrong when they see blood shooting out of the chest of their loved one and the EMS crew is screaming "Oh, Sh**, Oh Sh**!"

He didn't sell us any Thumpers!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Cheers Buddy!
    LOL

You've got me by a few years, but I did participate in some interesting protocols. My first monitor was a single-lead LP 5.

I remember the Thumper - we actually had a few, and they were scary.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The Thumper was before my time, but the new AutoPulse is great tech.

After we had a shooting at the range where I work, I put together a kit that hangs on the wall near the range. Kerlix gauze, Vaseline gauze, a stack of 5x9s and 8x10s, Gloves, a CPR mask, roll of 2" tape, and some Coban wrap.

We have a first aid kit for the little stuff, mostly bandaids for people who shoot with their thumb over the back of the gun.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    OK OK check this out you EMS trivia hounds. When I got my first transport job way back in the late 80s, one truck had an old dusty scratched up Datascope just like Johnny and Roy used, for the heart monitor; the big green circle screen that displayed 1 complex at a time. All the other trucks had the state-of-the-art LP5s. I can't even find a pic of that Datascope...
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links