Gun Shot blow out kit

Gun Shot blow out kit

This is a discussion on Gun Shot blow out kit within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One thing that we all have in common is that we are all shooters. And we all know that accidents happen. How many of you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
  1. #1
    Senior Member Array mercop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,067

    Gun Shot blow out kit

    One thing that we all have in common is that we are all shooters. And we all know that accidents happen. How many of you have a gun shot blow out kit in your range bag (not in your car) and know how to use it? Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but I hope it stays here so everyone sees it. I am not talking about a Boo Boo kit, I am talking about treating a GSW on the scene within seconds to train someones life.

    One another note, if you are carrying a firearm you should also have a blow out kit in your bag/car. Thoughts?


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array mercop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,067
    OK, anyone have any training on how to treat a GSW?

  3. #3
    Member Array Eirerogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    225
    I carry one of these in each of my cars and one in my range bag. They can fit into your cargo pockets on BDU's.

    Tactical Medical Packs.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    mercop... Of course I do. I'm a swat team paramedic, so yes.

    Dedicated for my range bag, I have a custom made Blow Out kit I put together in a pouch which is only about 7 1/2" x 8" x 2" in size.

    In that kit, I do have some "boo boo kit" items such as couple antiseptic wipes, band aids, a couple steri-strips to cover and protect minor cuts and scrapes mainly because those injuries are common at the range and because of all the lead exposure, it's nice to have something handy to keep wounds clean and covered.

    But more importantly, the kit I carry in the range bag is geared specifically for gunshot wounds.

    In that kit I have hemorrhage control, and airway management items.

    Specifically, a CAT tourniquet, pressure dressings, Celox hemostatic agent, Asherman chest seal, 3 1/2" chest decompression needles, nasal pharyngeal airways, triangular bandage and a unique very compact inflatable "pocket mask" with one way valve manufactured by Laerdal. The pocket mask is stored in a size approx. 1.5" X 1.5" yet inflated with 2 large breaths it inflates into a full size pocket mask with one way check valve and fits in my blow out kit nicely. I also have a scalpel and a short 5mm cuffed ET tube for an emergency cricothyrotomy.

    That kit is always in my range bag.

    However, I also always bring with me anytime I go shooting, the trauma kit I carry as the tactical medic on the swat team. It is state of the art, very compact (12" x 14" x 5") and not cheap. Total value for that kit is well over $1,000

    Much more comprehensive and advanced it has several grab and rip blow out kits capable of treating a minimum of 4 or 5 independent gunshot wounds, severe burns, major hemorrhage, and also contains more advanced airway items including an commercially packaged emergency cricothyrotomy kit, an endotracheal intubation kit as well as a King airway, manual suction device and bag-valve-mask. Also a multi-size C-collar and two Sam splints for fracture management. Also able to treat eye injuries and environmental emergencies. It also has a comprehensive supply of OTC meds and ointments and for general force protection health. I also have a Kendrick Traction Splint to stabilize a fractured femur which weighs approx 1 lb and in a kit approx 4" x 9".

    While that kit certainly isn't necessary for a trip to the range, I have it, I'm trained to use it, I put it together myself so why not have it available, right?

    Mercop, if you would like more details or sources for items I have put together or photos, feel free to PM me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    693
    George,

    Call me and I'll turf a kit or two your way.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array mercop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanks bro, I have to say I am alarmed by the lack of interest in this thread. Too many people prepared to shoot, not enough prepared to treat a gun shot wound. Wouldn't it suck to do everything right and fend off a violent attack, and look over and see a loved one with a GSW and have not training or equipment to save them?

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Thanks bro, I have to say I am alarmed by the lack of interest in this thread. Too many people prepared to shoot, not enough prepared to treat a gun shot wound. Wouldn't it suck to do everything right and fend off a violent attack, and look over and see a loved one with a GSW and have not training or equipment to save them?
    I understand what your saying,I know basic first aid and 99% of the time I shoot there is a Doctor within 10 feet of me,In most situations I can think of other than controlling bleeding and making sure person is breathing It's a matter of waiting on the paramedics.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  8. #8
    Member Array IronMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    mercop... Of course I do. I'm a swat team paramedic, so yes.

    Dedicated for my range bag, I have a custom made Blow Out kit I put together in a pouch which is only about 7 1/2" x 8" x 2" in size.

    In that kit, I do have some "boo boo kit" items such as couple antiseptic wipes, band aids, a couple steri-strips to cover and protect minor cuts and scrapes mainly because those injuries are common at the range and because of all the lead exposure, it's nice to have something handy to keep wounds clean and covered.

    But more importantly, the kit I carry in the range bag is geared specifically for gunshot wounds.

    In that kit I have hemorrhage control, and airway management items.

    Specifically, a CAT tourniquet, pressure dressings, Celox hemostatic agent, Asherman chest seal, 3 1/2" chest decompression needles, nasal pharyngeal airways, triangular bandage and a unique very compact inflatable "pocket mask" with one way valve manufactured by Laerdal. The pocket mask is stored in a size approx. 1.5" X 1.5" yet inflated with 2 large breaths it inflates into a full size pocket mask with one way check valve and fits in my blow out kit nicely. I also have a scalpel and a short 5mm cuffed ET tube for an emergency cricothyrotomy.

    That kit is always in my range bag.

    However, I also always bring with me anytime I go shooting, the trauma kit I carry as the tactical medic on the swat team. It is state of the art, very compact (12" x 14" x 5") and not cheap. Total value for that kit is well over $1,000

    Much more comprehensive and advanced it has several grab and rip blow out kits capable of treating a minimum of 4 or 5 independent gunshot wounds, severe burns, major hemorrhage, and also contains more advanced airway items including an commercially packaged emergency cricothyrotomy kit, an endotracheal intubation kit as well as a King airway, manual suction device and bag-valve-mask. Also a multi-size C-collar and two Sam splints for fracture management. Also able to treat eye injuries and environmental emergencies. It also has a comprehensive supply of OTC meds and ointments and for general force protection health. I also have a Kendrick Traction Splint to stabilize a fractured femur which weighs approx 1 lb and in a kit approx 4" x 9".

    While that kit certainly isn't necessary for a trip to the range, I have it, I'm trained to use it, I put it together myself so why not have it available, right?

    Mercop, if you would like more details or sources for items I have put together or photos, feel free to PM me.
    I guess my poltice of mustard root and feathermoss wont cut it,but I do now have some surplus field dressings from a corpman buddy,thanks for the reminder!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array aimhigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    635
    I had been train but I don't have an actual pack....(had to turn it in to Uncle Sam)
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

    NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array mercop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I understand what your saying,I know basic first aid and 99% of the time I shoot there is a Doctor within 10 feet of me,In most situations I can think of other than controlling bleeding and making sure person is breathing It's a matter of waiting on the paramedics.

    There is a Dr with you whenever you CCW?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array MR D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    864
    I have a nice kit in my car, trauma pads, airways, cervical spine stabilization gear etc - 8 years prior military service, 10 years service as Paramedic, former cpr and first aid instructor...

    in the house I have access to feminine napkins and duct tape... what else do I need?



  12. #12
    Member Array BacSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    50

    Blow out kit

    I've read about tampons being used to plug bullet holes in people. If so,carry them as well.
    I'm an EMT as well and a medic that served in RVN.
    Here in NJ all we can do is airway maintenance, control bleeding and treat for shock basically then wait for paramedics.
    BacSi
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.-George Orwell

  13. #13
    Member Array Eirerogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    225
    Mercop: I agree with your assessment. I see folks buying 5-6 holsters for different guns @ $130+ each. But to spend some money on a blow out kit isn't on their radar. Go figure.

  14. #14
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    OK, anyone have any training on how to treat a GSW?
    Here's a piece I wrote for the reference forum a while back : http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...anagement.html

    no substitute for training, but it's a step in the right direction.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  15. #15
    Member Array swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    157
    Celox Products - Celox A
    Penetrating wounds like shrapnel or knife wounds are very difficult to treat. They can often be lethal. It is extremely difficult to get a haemostatic agent to the real source of bleeding. Now there is a solution.

    Celox-A™ is a unique applicator delivery system designed to give you an easy, safe and effective way to stop life-threatening bleeding from difficult to treat penetrating trauma. The instinctive applicator allows you to get the Celox™ granules through a small entry wound, directly to the bleeding site in just a few seconds.

    In clinical testing Celox-A™ has repeatedly shown itself to be able to quickly and reliably stop deep arterial bleeds. Of course that should not surprise you - Celox™ granules have already been shown to result in 100% survival in independent US marines’ severe bleeding tests**. Celox’s™ unique, patented and natural formula, works independently of the body’s normal clotting mechanisms to robustly clot blood even where normal blood clotting is slow or impaired.
    Celox™ is suitable for

    * Small entry wounds
    * Penetrating wounds
    * Knife and shrapnel wounds
    * Bullet entry wounds
    * Applying through strong blood flows
    * Controlled application to all wounds

    Celox™ has been shown to:

    * Save lives
    * Reliably stop arterial bleeding**
    * Significantly reduce blood loss**
    * Clot blood containing anticoagulants like Coumadin (warfarin)*
    * Quickly clot hypothermic (cold) blood*

    * Details of these tests are available at: www.celoxmedical.com
    ** Journal Academic Emergency Medicine Jan 08, Pages 74-81






Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. UGH...Skunks suck...er uh is that blow?
    By packinnova in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: March 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
  2. Attacked With Blow Gun Darts - What Do U Do?
    By QKShooter in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: August 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM
  3. Can a bullet blow up a car?
    By ExactlyMyPoint in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: November 4th, 2008, 11:59 PM
  4. Woman Has gun blow up in Face
    By Sheldon J in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: August 31st, 2008, 10:40 PM
  5. Computer - blow thru time!
    By P95Carry in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM

Search tags for this page

blowout kit
,
blowout kit gunshot
,
feather moss and mustard root
,

gunshot blow out kit

,

gunshot blowout kit

,
gunshot trauma kits
,
gunshot wound blow out kit
,

gunshot wound kit

,

homemade blow out kit

,

homemade blowout kit

,
seal team 6 blowout kit
,

seal team blowout kit

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors