Man with gun arrested during obama address

This is a discussion on Man with gun arrested during obama address within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Link HERE For your convenience, I would have posted the article itself, but wouldn't want to violate the nasty ole copyright "Copyright 2009 The Associated ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man with gun arrested during obama address

Link HERE

For your convenience, I would have posted the article itself, but wouldn't want to violate the nasty ole copyright

"Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Talk about a total screwup, in DC of all places.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

If his intentions were malicious, I'm glad they caught him.

I'm always amazed by people who consent to a search they don't have to consent to. I don't carry anything in my car that would be illegal, ever. For that matter, I don't have anything anywhere that would be illegal, ever. But I would never consent to a search, on principle. There's no reason to search my car. Does refusing consent give probable cause? That would be a Catch 22.

"was charged with having an unregistered firearm and ammunition"

Since when was ammunition illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by hip2bsquare View Post

that's the part that got me saying "only in DC". However, if it was a secured area, I would think it would not be a good idea to have a gun in your car. Kind of dumb.

I

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hip2bsquare View Post

Since when has the media known what they were talking about?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Yikes, He's from where I grew up!

Pardon the pun, but I'm pretty sure this is going to back-fire on the Obama administration.

Since when does a shotgun and ammunition need to be registered? I am also pretty sure that it's legal transport a firearm in one's trunk. As for taking it into a secured area, well, that's not too smart.

I've been to D.C. and they are pretty nutty about security. I think I'd leave my guns at home, or not go there.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Since when has the media known what they were talking about?
    Since they decided shotguns should be registered?
    Thank God the media is only the media and not in any position of responsibility.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I have a feeling this guy found himself heading into a restricted area by surprise. I know that sometimes with special events it's easy for traffic patterns to change without too much lead-time. Easy to wind up heading into an area you weren't planning to be and takes some time to get back on course.

Hard for me to believe he had bad intent:
    - He had a shotgun as opposed to a rifle so likely he wasn't planning to 'reach out and touch someone'.
    - It was in his trunk not readily accessible.
    - He was from Virginia not from D.C. so may have been ignorant of the event traffic pattern and maybe even the DC weapon restrictions, - He consented to the search...

I have a bad feeling he was "overtaken by events" and is now going to be punished for his carelessness.

Being in "Code White" can hurt in many different ways.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    I'm always amazed by people who consent to a search....

1) don't consent to a search.
    2) don't explain anything.

See:

YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1

and

YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    That would be a Catch 22.
    Not by itself. See discussion at http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1296072

However, in a Terry Stop LEO can pat you down for their own safety and check to for weapons that you may have easy access to.

If they say they want to check your car for weapons for their safety, ask to exit the car and be patted down for their safety and decline the search of the vehicle.

OTOH, in this case he was voluntarily entering a property, which required consent to search as a condition of entering. The voluntary action of entering such property (e.g., federal property) is voluntarily granting consent. The short article isn't all that detailed and the press often blurs details, however, his "giving consent" could have been the act of entering the parking lot.

BTW -- INAL and am repeating advice from those more studied than I.
    Last edited by DaveH; September 11th, 2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Clarified "giving consent" and spelling
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thanks, appreciate it. I just looked at the other thread. It was interesting.

According to the article I read he was several blocks from where Obama was and probably wasn't even planning to go anywhere near but got caught up in an unexpected road block.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    According to the article I read he was several blocks from where Obama was and probably wasn't even planning to go anywhere near but got caught up in an unexpected road block.
    Which is quite an EASY task around the entire DC/Metro area...especially if you're not used to it. Dummy probably just didn't even think about it. I'm going to venture a guess that he probably completely forgot that gear was in the vehicle which was big mistake number one. Mistake 2 would be going to DC in the first place and #3 would be consenting to search...in the immortal words of Bugs Bunny..."what a maroon!"
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Ok, with the big "stink" the Dems made over protesters with weaps outside town-halls, why wasn't this beat to death in the main stream media?

I smell a rat on this one. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if it wasn't staged. Seriously, they're just little blurbs here and there...and very few at that. But the buy that had the pistol on his leg and the one with the AR on his back had multiple articles and interviews in the media.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links