S&W 5906 9mm

This is a discussion on S&W 5906 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been awhile since I posted - no excuses really - but I've always valued member's opinions so I'll ask. I'm looking at adding a S&W ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 5906 9mm

Question S&W 5906 9mm

Been awhile since I posted - no excuses really - but I've always valued member's opinions so I'll ask.

I'm looking at adding a S&W 5906 Stainless in 9mm to my "collection".

It's maybe got 300 rnds thru it and it's in "MINT" condition from what I can see. A fellow co-worker that I shoot with on a regular basis is lending it too me this wkend to try (nice guy) and he's asking $400. Comes with 3 mags - 2 17rnd and 1 10rnd w/FOBUS paddle holster & mag carrier & Hogue grips.

I've shot it about 10 rnds thru it last winter at the indoor range and really liked how it felt in my hand and was impressed with the low recoil.
    Not sure if I plan to use it for my CCW or not (it's VERY heavy) and I'm still using my XD9sc as my primary. I'm thinking more in line of a target shooter, and bringing it with when the wifey & I are ATV'n.

I've google'd the web and have found VERY positive reviews and discovered that is was a common issue LEO gun for while (due to it's mag safety disconnect?)

Looking for honest opinions, so feel free to chime in.

Thanks.
    Attached Images
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

2. Remove Ads

That gun is built like a tank..they are generally a very dependable and uasble gun. There is no reason you could not EDC it with a good belt and holster.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    That gun is built like a tank..they are generally a very dependable and uasble gun. There is no reason you could not EDC it with a good belt and holster.
    I pretty much agree; I have one; I don't shoot it or carry it much but I do like it.

You should realize however, it will likely have a mag safety. I absolutely love mag safeties, but you'll find the most don't. They seem to believe the mag will fall out just when they need it the most.

However, the Chattanooga PD issues S&Ws with mag disconnects and have for probably 30 years, and I have yet to hear of a problem due to the mag safety. OTOH, I have heard of numerous stories from long time LEO that have seen numerous occassions where the mag safety did its job and serious injury was averted.

Two of my instructors at Blackwater carried S&Ws as their duty weapon and they reported zero problems with the mag safety.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Exclamation My 2 cents...

Well, I still own a 2nd generation Model 659 I purchased new in 1986 for $375 that has a few thousand rounds of 9mm through it with nary a problem...it's built like a tank, and just as heavy, but it has earned a place in my arsenal as a reliable, high capacity shooter. Only thing I've replaced were the black plastic grips for a nice pair of zebrawood...

SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

My gun-buddy co-worker has the same gun in black so I guess it's not exactly the same gun). Looks good, shoots good, feels good in the hand. I liked shooting his XD9 better though. I like the consistent action of a striker-fired, rather a DA-SA. For target it would be nice, or perhaps as a "guest" gun, though it would 3rd down my "to buy next" list...

You might give S&W a call, I own a 6906, and the manual states NOT to use
    plus P ammo in it . Might be the same for your 5906.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    You might give S&W a call, I own a 6906, and the manual states NOT to use
    plus P ammo in it . Might be the same for your 5906.
    6906 has a Aluminum frame. That's why they say no +P

Also have a 5906. It was my first.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I too have a 5906, but I can't tell you a thing about it as it is still NIB. Does have 3 hi cap mags.

Edited by QKShooter.
    Try to hold off on the off topic political statements.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

cmb
    I have shot one which was actually the lady smith version (5913 I think) and I liked it! It was a lady policeman's off duty gun. I have no idea what they sell for though...

My friend has owned two. They are "Extremely" accurate. Full takedown is easy, but got to remember to push down the little things when you slide the slide back on. Another friend had one. I bought one and carried it on duty for about 4+yrs. They are safe for this as it has a mag safety disconnect. If you drop the mag out (in a scuffle) it is a paperweight. Little on heavy side, so I sold mine to my friend who wanted another. He actually sold his first and shot too many +p+ rounds through the second, cracking the AL frame at the slide connection points. (talking about he ran about 2500 rounds of Hertinburger subgun ammo thru it). I have watched him at about 21 ft rapid fire a full clip into the 10 ring in a ragged hole about size of a tangerine, drop/reload and do it with several mags. When I had mine, I always qualified extremely high with it.
    Just the weight factor bothered me (especially with all the rest of gear on the utility belt). If you carry this gun fully loaded (like the stainless mags) and have 2 xtra mags, it gets heavy. Would save it for home defense/range practice. It is easy for wemen to shoot this gun. Guy I got it from actually bought it for his wife. I had about 1000rnds thru mine. No problems. The are a boat anchor, but it does not fail. Stay away from the yellow box Remington UMC ammo...it's junk in "any" gun and only problem ever had thru the 5906.
    If you do want to carry it for self-defence, get a good strongside IWB holster and it is really comfortable-you get used to the weight. You want the xtra high flap that protects gun from your skin/you from gun-bite of your hide. Don Hume leather has good prices. Sights are excellent (I put a drop of glow in dark paint in my dots for night use-hate the real tritium as it's too bright & can actually make your face glow...not a good target for BG to shoot at). Would recommend not using Gun Scrubber to clean it as GS can discolor some AL frames, especially the Berretta (it takes off the finish). CLP Breakfree keeps these things running forever. $400 is good deal. I sold mine for same price, but only because the buyer was my friend, a former LEO that would respect the firepower.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have an old S&W 59 that I carried for a while as an armed security officer. I changed to a Beretta 92F. I shot the S&W a little bit better but liked the fact that the Beretta did not have a magazine disconnect. I had no problems with the 59 and do bring it out every now and then. At $400 and about 300 Rds through it I would serious consider the 5906.

The 5906 is indeed a fine weapon. Very reliable. Also take a look at the 6906 9mm. That model weighs 26oz and the magazine holds 12 rounds and is concealable. I am a huge fan of S&W 2nd and 3rd Generations semi-autos. S&W has been manufacturing these weapons for a long time. S&W even made a smaller and slimmer semi called the Chiefs Special. Take a look at the CS45.

Like previous posters I would not shoot on a regular basis +P or +P+ ammo since this could potentially crack the aluminum frame. As a suggestion I would consider the Hornandy Critical Defense Ammo. It has been given EXCELLENT reviews. And you dont have to worry about frame cracking.

I recently purchased a used S&W 6906 9mm for $275. I cant wait to go to the range and try my new addition to the family.

Thanks for all the input!!!

I plan on taking it to the outdoor shooting range this wkend (if the rain ever stops...) and give it a 50-100rnd run-through and cleaning break-down.
    Not really a BIG fan of +P ammo. I currently use Federal Hyra-Shok 135grn in my CCW and primarily either BLAZER or WWB 115grn for target shooting. But thanks for the defensive ammo suggestions. Other than Scheels.....and a few smaller gun dealers/outlets....ammo selection tends to be limited in my area.

I'll report back w/how it shot and what I decided to do. But sofar.....it looks promising.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Great price, great gun.

I own one (or more).

I have owned a 5906 for 15 years and had flawless performance from it with thousands of rounds downrange.

It's a bit on the heavy side for EDC but the 15 round hi-cap mags offset that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links