Shotgun information help

This is a discussion on Shotgun information help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just inherited my Grandpa's High Standard Supermatic Deluxe Model-C1200. I am having a hard time coming up with any information about this gun, ie age, ...

Thread: Shotgun information help

Shotgun information help

Just inherited my Grandpa's High Standard Supermatic Deluxe Model-C1200. I am having a hard time coming up with any information about this gun, ie age, popularity, uses in it's era, estimated value.

Have tried to find some information via Google, but most of what I am finding are parts for sale on auction sites and some PDF's of manuals that don't give much description.

This gun, near as I can tell, is older than I, at 22. I would love to find out more info on this gun. It is in 95% condition I would say. A small ding in the butt stock, and a few scratches in the forestock. From what my dad and mom tell me, my grandpa used it a handful of times to shoot skeet/trap and has been kept in my dads safe until now. My dad shot it a handful of times and promply cleaned it after each use. I plan to shoot it a few times to get familiar with the gun and then clean and store it.

Looking for any insight some of you may have.

Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

HS Supermatic Deluxe Model-C1200
    made late 60's through early 70's.
    used for hunting/skeet mainly
    those models hold 2.75in shells.
    No 3in shells
    Probably worth around $300 or so.
    What length is the barrel?
    Is the barrel vent rib?
    Do you know what type of choke it has?

Cool that you have inherited some family history.
    I have some firearms that belonged to my
    parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents.

I don't think it is vent ribbed. The barrel is smooth all the way down.

I will have to measure it tonight. I will put some pictures up as well.

Thank you J Bowen! So I know it is somewhere in the 35-40 y/o range!

The model C-1200 was manufactured for 6 years from 1966-1972. Some serial numbers and information about those guns are available in the shotgun survivors file at John Stimson's High Standard Information. You will need to locate the serial number. The list is very incomplete.

ETA: Except for some export models, High Standard shotguns didn't have serial numbers prior to 1969. So, if you have a Model C-1200 and it doesn't have a serial number, it was manufactured 1966-1968.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Tom-
    Thanks a bunch! I will check it out when I get home. This is just what I was looking for!

VIP Member

J.C. Higgiins and Sears both Sold Highstandard C1200

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack View Post
    Just inherited my Grandpa's High Standard Supermatic Deluxe Model-C1200. I am having a hard time coming up with any information about this gun, ie age, popularity, uses in it's era, estimated value.

Have tried to find some information via Google, but most of what I am finding are parts for sale on auction sites and some PDF's of manuals that don't give much description.

This gun, near as I can tell, is older than I, at 22. I would love to find out more info on this gun. It is in 95% condition I would say. A small ding in the butt stock, and a few scratches in the forestock. From what my dad and mom tell me, my grandpa used it a handful of times to shoot skeet/trap and has been kept in my dads safe until now. My dad shot it a handful of times and promply cleaned it after each use. I plan to shoot it a few times to get familiar with the gun and then clean and store it.

Looking for any insight some of you may have.

Thank you.

I found an older J.C. Higgins Model 60 semi-auto shotgun for sale at the local pawn shop for $75. I was told they were made by Hi-Standard for Sears. It is a 12 gauge, and has seen some miles. Internally, it is very dirty. It looks like the previous owners never heard of or believed in powder solvent. A friend of mine told me to pass it up because parts would be about impossible to locate if anything broke on it. What do you all think? Deal, or no deal? Were they a decent shotgun, or did they lack in quality? Thanks for the help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

darkwingJuly 20, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Numrich list a JC Higgins 66 as a High Standard Supermatic Deluxe model C1200 & C1211 and they have parts. I've dealt with the pump version and they are either the best gun you can get or the worse. Personally I'd offer 50 bucks. After cleaning it and any problems arise I'd part it out and sell the parts. Its probably a solid frame gun and the barrel may not be easily removed [heat and a good barrel wrench]. Any auto shotgun here at a pawn shop priced under 300 usually means its a piece of junk and they can't get rid of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A manual for this gun apprears to be printed in 1966. It is too big to upload.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

is it kosher to post serial numbers in order to receive help on finding info on a gun? or is that a no no?

It's up for sale on AuctionArms.com for $160
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I found an older J.C. Higgins Model 60 semi-auto shotgun for sale at the local pawn shop for $75. I was told they were made by Hi-Standard for Sears. It is a 12 gauge, and has seen some miles. Internally, it is very dirty. It looks like the previous owners never heard of or believed in powder solvent. A friend of mine told me to pass it up because parts would be about impossible to locate if anything broke on it. What do you all think? Deal, or no deal? Were they a decent shotgun, or did they lack in quality? Thanks for the help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

darkwingJuly 20, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Numrich list a JC Higgins 66 as a High Standard Supermatic Deluxe model C1200 & C1211 and they have parts. I've dealt with the pump version and they are either the best gun you can get or the worse. Personally I'd offer 50 bucks. After cleaning it and any problems arise I'd part it out and sell the parts. Its probably a solid frame gun and the barrel may not be easily removed [heat and a good barrel wrench]. Any auto shotgun here at a pawn shop priced under 300 usually means its a piece of junk and they can't get rid of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A manual for this gun apprears to be printed in 1966. It is too big to upload.
    >>Here is a little more history about J.C. Higginis and Sears Robuck.

J.C. Higgins: 1908-1964

Many people ask if there was a real "J.C. Higgins" who worked for Sears. There certainly was. John Higgins began working for Sears in 1898 as the manager of the headquarters' office bookkeepers and retired as company comptroller in 1930.
    "John Higgins" the employee became "J.C. Higgins" the brand name during a discussion in 1908 among Sears' executives of possible names for a new line of sporting goods. At this point, the story gets a bit murky, but Higgins' name was suggested and John Higgins consented to Sears use his name. Since he did not have a middle initial, Sears added the "C."

In 1908, the Western Sporting Goods Company in Chicago began putting J.C. Higgins on baseballs and baseball gloves sold in Sears catalogs. By 1910, the J.C. Higgins trademark was extended to cover footballs and basketballs. Later, the popularity of the Higgins brand—combined with the wider participation of American youth in sports—led Sears to place tennis equipment, soccer balls, volleyballs, boxing equipment and baseball uniforms in the J.C. Higgins line.

By the 1940s, J.C. Higgins represented all Sears fishing, boating and camping equipment. After the Second World War, Sears consolidated all sporting goods under the J.C. Higgins brand name and added it to a line of luggage.

The J.C. Higgins brand disappeared shortly after Sears introduced the Ted Williams brand of sporting and recreation goods in 196<<
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

From the site Tom posted, I have found that my gun was assembled in Janruary of 1970. Very cool stuff. Thanks again guys!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSlack View Post
    From the site Tom posted, I have found that my gun was assembled in Janruary of 1970. Very cool stuff. Thanks again guys!
    Yeha,
    History can be exciting. I learned much more about this shotgun than I expected. I would keep it, just for the sake of it being parsed down to you.

I'm normally a handgun guy but your inquiry intrigued me. Your shotgun was made in Camden on the East coast. The manufacture is still alive and now only sells match grade target pistols from Arizona.
    - Zen Saying

I won't be getting rid of this thing. doesn't matter what it is worth really. even if it was worth a million bucks it would stay in my safe. I think it will be cool, another 40 or 60 years from now, passing it on to my children.

thanks again guys for the info and help!

Links