Break in period for a new pistol. - Page 2

Break in period for a new pistol.

This is a discussion on Break in period for a new pistol. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I always fire 300 - 400 rounds on any gun I buy to get the feel of it and to make sure it is functioning ...

View Poll Results: Do you think the break in for a New Pistol is valid or not?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I break in all my handguns.

69 28.40%
  • No, I think the firearm should function outa the box period.

57 23.46%
  • Irrelevant, I always fire several hundred rounds through any new firearm.

110 45.27%
  • Other

7 2.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Break in period for a new pistol.

I always fire 300 - 400 rounds on any gun I buy to get the feel of it and to make sure it is functioning properly. If the gun doesn't function properly right out of the box I bring it back. I know when it's new it will be a little tight but should function properly and will smoothen out in time.
    Gun control is two hands on a 500 Smith/Wesson

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey1235 View Post
    I have never really considerded a gun as something that needs to be broken in. I always test fire my newly purchased guns to make sure that they work anyway but if one doesn't work it's going back. As far as that goes I guess in some cases I may need time to get used to a new gun but that is just me not anything about the gun. I could be wrong though.
    Perhaps you could be wrong, but as far as I am concerned you are right. There is nothing more apt to destroy my confidence in a new firearm than a failure to fire, mis-fire, or jam!

Most readers are aware of those brands which need "breaking in." I will avoid purchasing any firearm which submits "lack of break in" as an excuse for failure to properly function. They may be name dropper brands, but I am not that desparate for name dropper brands.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

My first pistol way back when was a stainless Colt .45 Officers ACP. I took it to the range and had serious problems getting the pistol to function. Being a newb, I had no idea why this could be happening.
    Why is irrelevant to the fact that one won't know there are problems until one attempts to sort out such problems. At minimum, ignoring this simple fact on a carry gun can result in coughing up for a series of freight charges back and forth with the manufacturer. At worst, it can get you killed.

It comes to this: until you test, you don't know. Assumptions can be bad, if you rely upon them when they turn out to be incorrect. On a piece of life-saving equipment, that's bad juju in the worst way.

Me, I choose to assume that all guns will need a break-in for whatever reason, either gun-related, magazine-related, or ammo-related. Most have. What I believe should be so, or wish were true, doesn't come into it. Reality is. It's that simple, really, at least for me. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I want to test any 'mechanical lead catapulting device' prior to 'game day'!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Smile

Voted irrelevant. On the one hand, I wouldn't carry anything I didn't have enough rounds through to be really confident with.

On the other hand I love the "break in" period as an excuse to spend more time at the range.

Fluff and buff is just not as much fun.

If it doesn't function out of the box it goes back to the shop. I don't believe in a break in period. I don't think there's anything out there now a days that requires a break in.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    Voted irrelevant. On the one hand, I wouldn't carry anything I didn't have enough rounds through to be really confident with.

On the other hand I love the "break in" period as an excuse to spend more time at the range.

Fluff and buff is just not as much fun.
    i would agree............ but i would hope that it would shoot right out the box. period whether i take it at the range or not....
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Break-in? A Glock? Are you serious?

+1.........."GLOCK ON"
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It comes to this: until you test, you don't know. Assumptions can be bad, if you rely upon them when they turn out to be incorrect. On a piece of life-saving equipment, that's bad juju in the worst way.

Me, I choose to assume that all guns will need a break-in for whatever reason, either gun-related, magazine-related, or ammo-related. Most have. What I believe should be so, or wish were true, doesn't come into it. Reality is. It's that simple, really, at least for me. YMMV.
    That's basically my thought behind the pole.

Even if you don't believe in the manufactures suggested procedure, not to many of us, if any, are gonna buy a new pistol, load it up and hook it on the hip and forget about it. You're gonna take it to the range and put some rounds through it, which in the same sense, you're breakin in your new pistol, call it what you want.

IMO, this should be done with any new firearm, revolver included. Being that it's new, you owe it to yourself to get some quality trigger time just to get the feel of the weapon, trigger, recoil and so on. Besides, if there's something that's gonna go wrong with it, it'll probably happen then, and that's better than in the field.

By the pole results, I'd say the majority believes in one form of a break in or another. Either it's a manufactures suggested one, or the one we make on our own.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

My opinion is that the need to break in is a fix for manufacturers taking short cuts. It's expensive to keep tools sharp. It's even more expensive to add a final finish step and polish moving parts, de-burr stamped parts, etc... Use will do this, but not as well as making it right to start.

Look at guns where all these steps are performed like an HK. You take it out of the box and shoot it and it works. Springs might be a little stiff, but everything is is silky smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
    My opinion is that the need to break in is a fix for manufacturers taking short cuts. It's expensive to keep tools sharp. It's even more expensive to add a final finish step and polish moving parts, de-burr stamped parts, etc... Use will do this, but not as well as making it right to start.

Look at guns where all these steps are performed like an HK. You take it out of the box and shoot it and it works. Springs might be a little stiff, but everything is is silky smooth.

HK or not, If I buy it new, it's gettin tested. Name recognition alone is not for me. I've had most big name brands of firearms over the years and I still approach each one the same way. My first experience with my Colt proved to me what I should do with any new firearm.

I would say, I doubt you will find to many if any, manufactures of good firearms today, that will no function OTB. Hell, even the Hi Points fire outta the box. Most brands have been test fired before they leave the factory, or at least they should have been. Either way, I agree that some steps are being skipped by some manufactures to make the process cheaper, but the design and general manufacturing involved will usually lend itself to a weapon that should function properly under controlled conditions. The problem is, will they function reliably OTB in most of the common everyday carry conditions, that is something you should not take for granted. For that reason alone, you should test your new firearm and make sure it functions as expected, IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    +1.........."GLOCK ON"
    Over the years, I have had 2 Glocks that "BROKE" within the 1st 200 rounds. The first was a broken trigger spring, it fired but you had the shake it to reset the trigger. The second was a "bend/kinked" safety plunger spring, the 19 started to double. Both easy fixes from the spares box but I ALWAYS test / BREAK-IN ANY NEW TO ME GUN! Life is too short to take chances on a piece of machinery without testing it.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I fire all my handguns in the beginning to test for reliability so I voted #3.

However, I'm strong toward #2. Any handgun you pay your hard-earned money for, should work right out of the box. Guys who spend $1k on a 1911 shouldn't have to tinker with mags, recoil springs and shoot $300 worth of ammo through it before they're able to say "Something is wrong with this gun..." and send it back to the factory.

Modern handguns should work out of the box, period IMO.

It should function out of the box. The "break in" period should be continued excellent performance as you learn the feel of the gun and gain confidence in your ability with that specific gun. I do expect things to work a little smoother such as the slide and mag releases as burrs are worn down. If after a couple of range sessions and cleanings the problems keep occurring it's time to get some customer service. I had a couple of FTF with hollow points in my Kel Tec P3AT so I sent it back to the factory for service/"fluff and buff". Since I've had it back it has performed without fail, but I'm still not 100% confident in it. I'm currently considering other options.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    HK or not, If I buy it new, it's gettin tested. Name recognition alone is not for me.

For that reason alone, you should test your new firearm and make sure it functions as expected, IMO.
    Sure, most definitely. But you are just doing a functional check. With a better finished gun, you're not wearing off the burrs and rough spots (breaking in). That's the difference.

IMO, having to send stuff back to be fluffed and buffed is lame. They should do that to all of them, not just for the customers that have problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links