Break in period for a new pistol.

This is a discussion on Break in period for a new pistol. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Test, test test. practice practice practice. I used to build accelerometers used in the auto industry (airbags) and our defect level was in the very ...

View Poll Results: Do you think the break in for a New Pistol is valid or not?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I break in all my handguns.

69 28.40%
  • No, I think the firearm should function outa the box period.

57 23.46%
  • Irrelevant, I always fire several hundred rounds through any new firearm.

110 45.27%
  • Other

7 2.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Break in period for a new pistol.

test, test test.
    practice practice practice.
    I used to build accelerometers used in the auto industry (airbags) and our defect level was in the very low ppb. What do you think the result is for failure in an airbag? You got it. Now think weapon failure.
    test test test
    practice practice practice.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Break-in? A Glock? Are you serious?
    Dead on Ram Rod.
    This idea that a break in period is just bad workmanship on the
    part of the MFGs today.Can anyone say Quality Control? Glock Can!!
    Glock raised the bar on this issue years ago with the G17 and
    carries that level of "Perfection" on through their product line today.
    Are they perfect? NO!!
    They shoud be tested by the end user like any other gun,
    But the bar is where it is today because of Glock.
    If you own a M&P, HK,or a XD (all very good guns) , you owe a
    thanks to Glock for its level of performance, Both in design
    and reliability.
    Glock set the bar and have not faltered.
    I always ask myself, If I'm in the middle of a Zombie Invasion
    and run into a room with a table full of loaded guns of different
    MFGs having never shot/tested those guns myself , what brand
    do I grab to save my life?
    Do I need to say it?
    Thats what Ram Rod means when he says "Break-in? A Glock? Are you serious?
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
    Sure, most definitely. But you are just doing a functional check. With a better finished gun, you're not wearing off the burrs and rough spots (breaking in). That's the difference.

IMO, having to send stuff back to be fluffed and buffed is lame. They should do that to all of them, not just for the customers that have problems.
    I wouldn't disagree on either point. I will add, anytime metal meets metal and friction is going to happen, that in itself is a form of break in. This happens in all firearms "rail's and triggers" among just a few of the places where metal meets metal, that will become smoother over time.

Quality firearms for the most part don't leave allot of burrs and rough spots from my experience.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    Are they perfect? NO!!
    Mine is. Not a single malfunction in ten years of service.

Did I take it to the range and put a couple of hundred rounds through it when I bought it. Absolutely, and so should everyone. Don't call it a break in if it fits your taste. It is what it is. Trigger time with a new pistol to make sure it's ready for service.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

No. I believe any properly built firearm should work properly out of the box. Unfortunately, many don't. The new Fusion in my signature has over 250 fail-to-feeds in the first 710 rounds - that wasn't a "break-in" problem, it was built wrong.

How many of you have bought a new car, discovered it refuses to start occasionally or can't hold an idle and shuts off at stop signs ... who think, "Gee, I'll wait till after I've driven it 1000 miles before I take it into the dealership - maybe the problem will work itself out."?

I've had this argument many time online, and inevitably there will be those who vehemently disagree with me, but they will most often come up with invalid analogies.

I don't expect a gun to be slick as ice on the very first round. I expect the trigger to be a little gritty, the slide may be a bit tight, and breaking down the weapon might require a little more elbow grease. But I still expect that weapon to chamber, fire, and eject every round I throw at it without hiccup. I do understand that springs and spring-steel parts like extractors will start out a bit tight and loosen up a little during the first 500 rounds, but if its so tight that my weapon will not feed a round, then something is wrong there.

I have always felt, and continue to feel, that the 500 round "break-in" is a way for manufacturers to reduce the number of user-error related returns and get users to fix their own problems. I partly understand this. I've been to the range and seen people who have no idea how to grip a firearm having severe limp-wristing issues. I've seen people load incorrect ammo into a gun (like the guy who tried to load .45ACP into his 9mm Sig because someone told him .45ACP was a more powerful round and he wanted to try it). I once saw a guy hold his loaded Beretta sideways, effectively aiming it at the entire firing line, frantically playing with levers and buttons including the trigger, trying to figure out why his gun wouldn't fire (safety was on).

So I fully understand that it is a waste of money for a manufacturer to have to deal with paying for the return shipping, having an employee test fire it, pay for that ammo, and ultimately return it to the owner ... when most of the time all that is necessary is that the owner talk to someone at the gun shop or a more experienced shooter and telling someone, "You need to fire 500 rounds before you can expect it to work properly" is a really nice and blameless way of saying, "You're most likely a doofus, so hold onto that a little while longer and someone will come along and show you the error of your ways.".
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    I once saw a guy hold his loaded Beretta sideways, effectively aiming it at the entire firing line, frantically playing with levers and buttons including the trigger, trying to figure out why his gun wouldn't fire (safety was on).
    Dang man! That's frickin scary. I hope you or someone set him straight.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Dang man! That's frickin scary. I hope you or someone set him straight.
    I was two stalls over but was the first to notice. I practically dove out of the line of fire and started yelling at him. He gave me a quizzical look at first then the light-bulb went off in his head. I was screaming at him, everyone on the firing line stopped to see what was going on, I was calling him all kinds of names and he was starting to get embarrassed. Told me to calm down, told me it was all okay, he was a cop (proceeds to show me a badge) and tells me again to calm down.

No one else really knew what was going on because by the time they emerged from their stalls he'd already put the gun back down so they just thought we were fighting and I looked looney to every else. I went back to my stall, threw my Glock in my range back, and asked him if he learned firearm safety from Stevie Wonder on my way out the door.

That said, I've done my fair share of stupid things at the range as well. Was at an outdoor PA-state run range once - was just me, my buddy, and this guy and his girl a few benches over. We had a cease-fire to hang targets, I stayed behind to load up my mags as I didn't need to change targets. I had been shooting my AR at 100 yards and from where I was, I couldn't see the 200 yard targets because the 100 yard backstop was in the way. My buddy comes back after what seems like a long time. I look for the guy and the girl and see them sitting in their car behind us. I start shooting.

10 or so rounds later my buddy yells out for me to stop. Come to find out that while the girl was in the vehicle, what I thought was her boyfriend in the driver's seat turned out to be their golden lab (sunny day, windshield had a lot of reflections on it - all I really saw was something moving in the driver's seat). Boyfriend had been at the 200 yard target and was NOT happy.

Was with a different friend once on the way to a 24-hour paintball game in upstate NY. We were in his Miata at the time with the top down in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY. Started trying to hit road signs while moving. I was still using nitrogen at that point and the gun froze up on me. Sat there in the passenger seat trying to get the gun to fire. At one point even looked down the barrel, still pressing the trigger with full hopper on the gun, trying to see if anything was obstructing the barrel. 3 seconds after I pull my eye away the gun finally fires and the freezing cold paintball put a starburst in the windshield which I later paid for. Could have been my eye, or worse, my life.

So I too have had my share of stupid. Unfortunately I have no one who taught me anything about firearms, so it was all self-taught and safety wasn't exactly the first thing I was worried about when I was 21.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

I think it's odd we accept a product that essentially needs to be "finished" by the purchaser and we have to do it on our dime. How many would buy a clothes washer that needed to run 500 times before your clothes get clean? Or, even better, a television that needs to run 500 hours before you get a picture and sound? I don't want to be an uncompensated final tester of any product. jh

Told me to calm down, told me it was all okay, he was a cop (proceeds to show me a badge) and tells me again to calm down.
    Yeah, sure, please put the gun down, or keep it pointed down range. Would've been my response to him.

10 or so rounds later my buddy yells out for me to stop. Come to find out that while the girl was in the vehicle, what I thought was her boyfriend in the driver's seat turned out to be their golden lab (sunny day, windshield had a lot of reflections on it - all I really saw was something moving in the driver's seat). Boyfriend had been at the 200 yard target and was NOT happy.
    Did he set you straight? JK

Stay safe.

I am happy taking 7-10 mags of mix and match factory ammo, loading some mags and letting her rip. If there is no hiccup then I would carry the gun. If the pistol jams for any reason I would make sure it was mechanically sound and sell it. I will not carry gun that is ammo finicky. Reliability above all else. Just one guy talking.- George

I almost think some of you are confused about break-in vs test time. I voted a Glock.... ur um I mean a pistol should run perfect out of the box. Now it would be wise to test it at the range. I always get a kick out of the Kahr ads when they say why buy a block? Yea lets see your pistols require a break-in period and what ever you do don't slingshot or use the slide as it was intended Yea, anyway no break-in for me. And if there was a table of brand new (never fired) guns on a table and you said grab one we don't have time to test it. Well that would be the Glock every time.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    I almost think some of you are confused about break-in vs test time.
    I distinguish between the two. Uncertain about anyone else.

a pistol should run perfect out of the box.
    Even given the fact that these aren't low-tolerance aerospace mechanisms with 0.0001 tolerances throughout?

That's one way to view it.

Reality is, for almost everything manufactured outside certain specific areas of aerospace and optics, very few things are made in such a manner where tolerance stacking doesn't occur as part of the design's allowances for manufacturability at a given price-point. It is what it is.

Generally, all that means is a given unit will need a bit of break-in time to begin working well as a unit, though occasionally it's bad enough that something will run poorly for quite awhile. I'm sure that any of the engineers in the crowd can explain it better.

Point is, this sort of thing isn't a design failure, as such, nor failure on quality control by the manufacturer. It's simply that we're paying for a given level of quality. Higher quality and higher-end isn't, generally speaking, the segment of the market in which the manufacturer is playing, when such things are common. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just that if you want to accelerate the movement of such off-tolerance units toward better performance, you've got to deal with either a break-in period or some tuning, or both.

That's the way with most things. Car engines, for example, in which "blueprinting" is a well-accepted practice to turn a $5000 engine into a $50000 work or mechanical art. Those are two completely different ends of the spectrum, there. Meaning, for $5K, you are NOT going to generally get a mechanical work of art, though many will come of the assembly line working that way, or nearly so. It's the same with pistols.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I voted Irrelevant.... Who here after all the saving and shopping for the best deal and research as to exactly what firearm they wanted does not go out and shoot right away...heck both of the toy stores I frequent give a free 1/2 hour at the range with the purchase of any firearm.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The only pistol, I ever was told it needed a break-in period was my 1911 hi cap Springfield.The break-in period was considered 500 rounds.When I read
    that I was shocked, because I had never had heard of that before .
    Granted, I never consider getting ccw either so there's the higher standards.
    When I did, glocks were in hand as I wasn't going to worry about any break -in
    period.Besides,how can you go wrong less weight,18 rounds of 9mm,makes me feel warm and fussy.

no

I have owned several pistols that jammed right out of the box i just take them back. If it dont fire properly out of the box on the first 100 rounds that is enough for me. My beretta 92 FS didn't miss a beat right out of the box and I have fired thousands of rounds and still no problem except for my slide stop not working. (I have talked about that on another thread.)
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links