Break in period for a new pistol.

This is a discussion on Break in period for a new pistol. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I voted irrelevant as well. It does take an act of God to keep me from the range on weekends, and any gun I buy ...

View Poll Results: Do you think the break in for a New Pistol is valid or not?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I break in all my handguns.

69 28.40%
  • No, I think the firearm should function outa the box period.

57 23.46%
  • Irrelevant, I always fire several hundred rounds through any new firearm.

110 45.27%
  • Other

7 2.88%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Break in period for a new pistol.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I voted irrelevant as well. It does take an act of God to keep me from the range on weekends, and any gun I buy and plan to carry gets fired before it ever meets a holster.
    I love my children and enjoy bonding with all of them regularly.
    I am a perfectionist and set high standards for myself. If I can shoot a 3" or smaller group consistently at 21 feet, I don't that particular gun until I can. I know darn well that if I ever have to use it, I mostly likely won't shoot as well as I can under range conditions, I want to be as proficient as possible before I trust a firearm and myself to carry it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yes, some guns will "smooth out" after extended use, but I'm a firm believer that a gun should run out of the box, and I shouldn't have to finish doing the factory's job to make the gun work in the first place.
    After this poll resurfaced I started reading all the responses again. After reading this response, I find that I'm sitting squarely center of the fence on this subject. I quoted a portion of JD's post because I 100% agree with the points in bold. I'd say, I second his points for that matter. On the other hand, I do believe in the fact that most if not all manufactured mechanical devices where metal on metal and even some other materials meet and create friction, will ware when used and become more reliable as a result.

I put irrelevant in the pole because that's my main thought behind the "break in" for any new pistol. I'm thinkin, not to many experienced shooters if any, are gonna buy a new pistol and strap it on the hip and not worry about the reliability or function, as the poll clearly shows. Even when it comes to the revolver. The trigger and other moving parts will become smoother over use. Not by a great deal mind you, but never the less, it'll happen. I'll agree, the revolver is the most reliable firearm one can carry and everyone should have one in the safe for what ever reason you care to assign to it. My point is, call it a break in, or just getting to know your new weapon, it's gonna happen and the end result is a fact. The weapon is getting a break in every time you take it to the range and put rounds through it.

By some of the statements posted, one can take that, anyone who has ever had a pistol professionally tuned for reliability should be PO'd at the manufacturer for selling a weapon that won't function properly OTB. I'm not talkin about trigger jobs and custom alterations, just for reliability issues, or more over fit and finish, and I'm sure there out there. Just my take on the subject over a cup of coffee.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

all pistols will need some type of break in to run right. and to break in the shooter to the new gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

100 - 300 rounds seems expensive

but I guess I need the 'practice' anyway. I Received my CCW today! It only took 14 days!! I wanted a Glock 26 or 27 but pocket book allowed for a Taurus M85 UL (38 spl). Now, I still have not figured out how to conceal it. Its wider than I hoped. I don't really want to purse carry. Wondering about a fanny pack kind of thing. I am overweight-apple shape, so belt is not good. Wondering whether I should have gone with a Ruger LCP 380 or Kel-tec 3AT? and pocket carry. But then I read so many stories of 380 not effective in stopping someone...yikes it shoudn't be so complicated and expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandykb View Post
    but I guess I need the 'practice' anyway. I Received my CCW today! It only took 14 days!! I wanted a Glock 26 or 27 but pocket book allowed for a Taurus M85 UL (38 spl). Now, I still have not figured out how to conceal it. Its wider than I hoped. I don't really want to purse carry. Wondering about a fanny pack kind of thing. I am overweight-apple shape, so belt is not good. Wondering whether I should have gone with a Ruger LCP 380 or Kel-tec 3AT? and pocket carry. But then I read so many stories of 380 not effective in stopping someone...yikes it shoudn't be so complicated and expensive...
    It can definitely become an expensive hobby (target shooting, not SD), but no ones going to tell you that you need to shoot all those rounds in one outing. The sooner you can do it the better, but if your funds are limited, try to shoot at least 1 box a week. You should be able to find .38 special in the neighborhood of $14-17 a box of 50.

Also, I would check out Cornered Cat for suggestions about ways to carry. It's a website designed and ran by a woman for women who conceal carry. The woman who runs it is a member here as well, but I can't remember her screen name off of the top of my head. It's been awhile since I've been on there, but I don't think she advocates purse carry either.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

very informative post

I was just thinking about it and you’ve really helped out.Generally, all that means is a given unit will need a bit of break-in time to begin working well as a unit, though occasionally it's bad enough that something will run poorly for quite awhile. I'm sure that any of the engineers in the crowd can explain it better.
    Thanks

Thank you!

My mom...

Thats a good one and reminds me of a story my mom told me once...
    She was rangemaster of a military range and her CO came out to fire off a few rounds. After letting a couple fly he proceeded to scratch his head with the muzzle of his pistol...She of course went crazy on him and kicked him off the range immediatly, after which he tried to bring trouble her way which worked right up until someone asked her what happened and they basically told him to forget about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    I was two stalls over but was the first to notice. I practically dove out of the line of fire and started yelling at him. He gave me a quizzical look at first then the light-bulb went off in his head. I was screaming at him, everyone on the firing line stopped to see what was going on, I was calling him all kinds of names and he was starting to get embarrassed. Told me to calm down, told me it was all okay, he was a cop (proceeds to show me a badge) and tells me again to calm down.

No one else really knew what was going on because by the time they emerged from their stalls he'd already put the gun back down so they just thought we were fighting and I looked looney to every else. I went back to my stall, threw my Glock in my range back, and asked him if he learned firearm safety from Stevie Wonder on my way out the door.

That said, I've done my fair share of stupid things at the range as well. Was at an outdoor PA-state run range once - was just me, my buddy, and this guy and his girl a few benches over. We had a cease-fire to hang targets, I stayed behind to load up my mags as I didn't need to change targets. I had been shooting my AR at 100 yards and from where I was, I couldn't see the 200 yard targets because the 100 yard backstop was in the way. My buddy comes back after what seems like a long time. I look for the guy and the girl and see them sitting in their car behind us. I start shooting.

10 or so rounds later my buddy yells out for me to stop. Come to find out that while the girl was in the vehicle, what I thought was her boyfriend in the driver's seat turned out to be their golden lab (sunny day, windshield had a lot of reflections on it - all I really saw was something moving in the driver's seat). Boyfriend had been at the 200 yard target and was NOT happy.

Was with a different friend once on the way to a 24-hour paintball game in upstate NY. We were in his Miata at the time with the top down in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY. Started trying to hit road signs while moving. I was still using nitrogen at that point and the gun froze up on me. Sat there in the passenger seat trying to get the gun to fire. At one point even looked down the barrel, still pressing the trigger with full hopper on the gun, trying to see if anything was obstructing the barrel. 3 seconds after I pull my eye away the gun finally fires and the freezing cold paintball put a starburst in the windshield which I later paid for. Could have been my eye, or worse, my life.

So I too have had my share of stupid. Unfortunately I have no one who taught me anything about firearms, so it was all self-taught and safety wasn't exactly the first thing I was worried about when I was 21.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    With a botton feeder, yes I say definately break them in. With a revovler not so much. My Kimber had some issues in the first 500 rounds, after that never a hiccup. My revolvers have been ready to go, from day one, right out of the box.
    Does that stop me from shooting any of them regularly for practice, of course not.
    ^^^yup^^^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links