Cartridge - Caliber

This is a discussion on Cartridge - Caliber within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the assembly of bullet, case, powder and primer called? I see people calling them caliber such as, "What caliber do you shoot?" I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge - Caliber

Cartridge - Caliber

What is the assembly of bullet, case, powder and primer called?

I see people calling them caliber such as, "What caliber do you shoot?" I always thought caliber was the bullet diameter and cartridge was the whole thing.

Is it a regional thing to call the cartridge caliber? Are they now synonymous?
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

2. Remove Ads

I always refered to them as rounds. "
    Some call them bullets.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

I believe the official name is "cartridge"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post

I see people calling them caliber such as, "What caliber do you shoot?" I always thought caliber was the bullet diameter and cartridge was the whole thing.

Your description of the terms matches my own, so at least us Floridians sound squared away.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Caliber= 7mm, .38 and such.

Cartridge= 7mm-08, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7x57, 7mm STW

The cartridges above are all the same caliber but not the same cartridge.

A related term is to the chambering of a particular gun. The chamber is a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser or a 6.5mm Remington Magnum. Caliber here is the same but the "chamber" and hence the cartrdge is different.

More clarification a 9mm Luger (or 9x19, 9mm Nato, 9mm Parabellum) cartrige will work in a firearm chambered for any in the parentheses.

A 380 ACP (9mm Short, 9mm Kurtz, 9x17) will work in any of the the ones in parentheses as well.

Caliber= bore diameter
    Cartridge= specific load, case size and many other factors.

In the South we say YALL in the north yall say yous/you guys & in the West ?? PS I call it cartridgeis the loaded bullet & Caliber is the size the guns chamberd in H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I've always heard of them being called a cartridge and the round was the bullet itself.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I am going to have to disagree with Earl here...

Primer + casing + powder + bullet = cartridge

Cartridges are generally assembled according to some caliber specifications. That is, "These cartridges are caliber .45 ACP, but those cartridges are caliber .223 Remington, and those over there are caliber 9mm Parabellum."

And hogdaddy, please, it's "youse guys".
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Administrator
    I think the fact that it's a cartridge in that caliber is pretty much understood.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Cartridges are generally assembled according to some caliber specifications. That is, "These cartridges are caliber .45 ACP, but those cartridges are caliber .223 Remington, and those over there are caliber 9mm Parabellum."
    Based on the above, what's the difference then between caliber 38 Special and caliber 357 Magnum? They both use the exact same caliber bullet (.357) but they are different cartridges.

Caliber refers to the bullet diameter. Cartridge refers to the whole assembly - at least that's the way I see it.

There's lots of cartridges that share the same caliber. 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 357 maximum, 357 B&D all use the same diameter bullet yet their cases are different. Some can be used in the same weapon while others cannot. For example, you can shoot a 38 Special cartridge in a 357 Magnum handgun but you cannot shoot a 357 Magnum in a 38 Special. Yet, they all share the same caliber bullet.

Using the example above you can go even further and say the 9mm is the same caliber as the above rounds since it's bullet diameter is so close (+/- .001) that there are handguns that fire both the 9mm and 38 Special.

Yet they are not the same cartridge.

So, going back to the original post. Is the use of caliber for cartridge a regional thing? Are they synonymous?
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

A cartridge packages the bullet, gunpowder, and primer in a metallic case made to fit the chamber of a firearm. This is also called a round. Critical specifications of a cartridge include the caliber, bullet weight, etc... Also, A cartridge without a bullet is a blank.

Someone mentioned referring to the cartridge as a bullet. A bullet refers specifically to the projectile.

Caliber, when talking ammunition, is the specific length of the barrel in terms of diameter. Caliber is, specifically, the inside diameter of the chamber. As a side note, when talking artillery, the caliber is a ratio of the barrel length to the bore diameter, as opposed to just the inside diameter of the chamber. In firearms, the caliber is the approximate diameter of the bullet used. For instance, a 45 caliber handgun uses a bullet approximately .452 in diameter.

Does that answer the question? They are in no way synonymous, they are not interchangeable, and it is not regional. Rather, the use of caliber for cartridge is someone completely misusing the term. Similarly, calling a cartridge a bullet is obviously someone not using the correct term.

VIP Member

9mm

Quote Originally Posted by earlthegoat2 View Post
    A 380 ACP (9mm Short, 9mm Kurtz, 9x17) will work in any of the the ones in parentheses as well.
    FWIIW -- 9x17mm Browning, 9x17mm Browning Short, .380 ACP, .380 Auto, 9x17 Browning, 9mm Browning Short, 9mm Short, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Court, and 9mm Browning are all different names for the same "round" in english, not to mention other languges.

For more of the same "caliber" see: 9mm Cartridges of the World: Past and Present - CZ related Frequently Asked Questions, General Topics - WELCOME TO CZFORUM.COM - CZFORUM.COM - Message Board - Yuku

FWIIW -- I say simply, "What are you shooting/carrying."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Cartridge

Cartridge. The proper term, so far as I know, for the completed unit you place into the magazine or chamber.

Ammo. As in, hand me the ammo, or do you have enough ammo, or reloading some ammo ... meaning, the whole, finished thing.

Rounds. As in, range rounds, or 100rds/box, or ten-round restricted magazine.

Whereas, the individual parts are generically called "components," or named by their specific component part name (ie, primer, case, powder, bullet).

Look at any place (ie, CheaperThanDirt.com) where both cartridges/ammo as well as reloading components are sold. Notice that there are two distinct terms used for the categories:
    • "ammo" (for fully-assembled, ready-to-use, factory rounds); and
    • "components" (for the pieces required for assembly of a complete cartridge).

I see people calling them caliber such as, "What caliber do you shoot?"
    Whenever I hear someone ask that, I understand them to be asking how big of a punch does my ammo deliver, or what size are my rounds in terms of caliber. I do NOT think they're using "caliber" interchangeably with the terms cartridge, ammo or rounds.

I always thought caliber was the bullet diameter and cartridge was the whole thing.
    Yes.

No, not that I know of. Can't think of anyplace where "caliber" means the whole thing, since it would mean something different for this one versus that one, depending upon the intended chambering. Can't do that and still communicate clearly ... so, no, it can't be that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

cartridge
    Gun control is two hands on a 500 Smith/Wesson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links